Dining Reso Newbie- Trader Sam's

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
Hi All,

I've never made dining reservations for any of the big names, however for our upcoming trip in May, I'd like to get Trader Sam's for DH and I- I'd like the evening of May 9th- it's not showing as open yet, but can someone clarify when reservations will open for that day, and what time please?

Thank you so much in advance!

Those should go up at either 0300 or 0600 Pacific on Friday, March 10. And liked Nicolas Cage, they often are gone in 60 seconds.

Last edited:
Those should go up at either 0300 or 0600 Pacific on Friday, May 9. And they will be gone in 60 seconds or less.
I think you have a typo in your post (and I had one in mine :teeth:). I think they will become available this Friday, March 10. :goodvibes

Last edited:
I've never had trouble getting Trader Sam's when I've gone on right when they open up. When I had a surprise trip, though, and I'd missed all of the dining drops, it was really tough to get, even with dining alerts. They got snapped up by others with dining alerts before I could grab one, but I did eventually manage to snag one that way (I just used the free version).

I've never been able to get a reservation way ahead of time there either but I also haven't had trouble getting a walk up reservation on the same day. It helped that we were staying at the DLH so it was super convenient, but even if we weren't there are some great places outside to sit and wait for your spot to open up. The vibe outside Trader Sam's at night is really cool with the torches, the landscaping and the music playing in the background.

Reservations go fast, but if you're on right when they drop you should be able to get a time.

I've never been able to get a reservation way ahead of time there either but I also haven't had trouble getting a walk up reservation on the same day. It helped that we were staying at the DLH so it was super convenient, but even if we weren't there are some great places outside to sit and wait for your spot to open up. The vibe outside Trader Sam's at night is really cool with the torches, the landscaping and the music playing in the background.
I agree with this. We've even come to prefer outside than inside Trader Sam's. Way more relaxing (even warmer!!) outside and there is a lot to see. It's fun to do inside once, but we really enjoyed the times we've been able to sit outside at night and listen to the band play and take in the beautiful lights surrounding the hotel.

Also be warned if you haven't been before: the drinks are STRONG and they sneak up on you. I barely made it back to our room in Adventure tower after 2 drinks....:tilt:

Reservations go fast, but if you're on right when they drop you should be able to get a time.

I agree with this. We've even come to prefer outside than inside Trader Sam's. Way more relaxing (even warmer!!) outside and there is a lot to see. It's fun to do inside once, but we really enjoyed the times we've been able to sit outside at night and listen to the band play and take in the beautiful lights surrounding the hotel.

Also be warned if you haven't been before: the drinks are STRONG and they sneak up on you. I barely made it back to our room in Adventure tower after 2 drinks....:tilt:
I made that error before a flight once. Thankfully, my friends got me in the car and on the plane. Apparently, I had a really great time (it was my birthday). I don't handle liquor very well, ha ha, and I believe I may have ordered a 3rd zombie. I haven't made that mistake again!

I made that error before a flight once. Thankfully, my friends got me in the car and on the plane. Apparently, I had a really great time (it was my birthday). I don't handle liquor very well, ha ha, and I believe I may have ordered a 3rd zombie. I haven't made that mistake again!

Haha! We were sitting there having a grand ole time and going to get a third drink to take up to the room at the suggestion of the waitress before we watched the fireworks, but decided against it because we could get a mimosa or something later if we wanted at the CL lounge. I didn't realize just how strong the drinks were until I stood up to walk back. I don't drink often, mostly just when we're on a flight or on vacation so it really hit. Ah, memories!

Last edited:

Isn't it easier to go to Tangaroa Terrace in that case? It's the same kitchen and menu, just outside.

Thanks for the detail! and noted about the drinks, you aren't the first I've seen to say that they are strong!
I went to a Tiki Bar in Vegas that knocked me on me **** very fast lol!
Noted! Glad you made it!

Thanks all! So to confirm, have the App open, find TS, and then at 3/6am refresh to see the date open?
Yes. Sorry for the date confusion.
You also might choose/preload the approximate time you want the ADR, rather than just searching for lunch or dinner. I've heard that helps.
And one more thing: Some people report having better luck through the website than the app -- although both worked for me.

They aren't strong for tiki drinks, but they are strong drinks! :)

I've not had a problem when I'm ready to hop on it right at 6am when they drop either. Good luck!

I am going May 5-8, and for the last three nights, reservations opened at 3am pacific. Set an alarm for a possible 3am drop and 6am drop to ensure you get what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter