Dining Reservations for solo trip?

Chili327

DIS Veteran
I’m going to WDW in late January and I’m not looking to do the full sit down dining so is there any lounges I should make reservations for?
Also anything I should know of besides lounges I could (& should) reserve?
I feel like I can just wing it, but what am I going to miss by winging it?

If you are a fan of eating at the bar, I would do that.

At any restaurant, you can do apps, order off the menu, sometimes the bartenders will get you off-menu items

My experience has been much better service.

easy everything,

And no worries about what if my plans change that day

The Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom is very nice.
Do I need a res at a lounge? (Nomad is at the top of my list)

If you are a fan of eating at the bar, I would do that.

At any restaurant, you can do apps, order off the menu, sometimes the bartenders will get you off-menu items

My experience has been much better service.

easy everything,

And no worries about what if my plans change that day
Yea that’s my feeling… And no need for reservations right?

Most of the lounges are a standby basis. To be perfectly honest, if there is a particular restaurant you want, don't be afraid to make a reservation. You definitely wouldn't be the only solo to book one. However, I have winged it before and have been fine as well. It all depends on which restaurants, and their associated lounges, you prefer to eat at. I would put that above any feelings of awkwardness(which, to be honest, is probably just in our minds much of the time anyway). Also, you may want to consider a dessert party for one of the evening shows/fireworks. Could be a great way for a solo to socialize a bit and you wouldn't need to fight the crowds.

And no need for reservations right?
When I called about eating at the bar at Jiko, with this question, they told me that I still had to make reservations, and ask to sit at the bar when I showed up. However, that was several years ago, maybe things have changed?

When I called about eating at the bar at Jiko, with this question, they told me that I still had to make reservations, and ask to sit at the bar when I showed up. However, that was several years ago, maybe things have changed?
We were there in February it was first come first serve...... That said there are maybe 6 seats at the bar at jinko ...

We were there in February it was first come first serve...... That said there are maybe 6 seats at the bar at jinko ...
I’ve just been making reservations everywhere and I’ll just sort it out when I get closer.
As fun as it is to plan it’s almost been overwhelming trying to decide where I think I’m going to be each day. With a hopper and no park reservation needed anything goes and that almost makes it harder. lol

I've done 2 solo trips and I love to plan so the minute my dining reservation window opens I make dinner plans. Then, always!, the closer I get to my trip I start to rethink being "tied down" (isn't that the point of a solo trip??) and cancel them. I'll snack and eat quick service during the day and at night I either find an open seat at a lounge or a last minute reservation somewhere.

I'd say if there's anything that is a can't miss on your list then make that reservation. Otherwise wait until the day before or day of in case your whims change and you're not tied down to one park or area.

Last time I dined at Jiko it was with a reservation and they asked if I wanted to be seated at the prep area in the center. I thoroughly enjoyed that and would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't know if one can do it without a reservation but on that particular night there were only two of us seated there and for most of my time there it was just me.

I've done 2 solo trips and I love to plan so the minute my dining reservation window opens I make dinner plans. Then, always!, the closer I get to my trip I start to rethink being "tied down" (isn't that the point of a solo trip??) and cancel them. I'll snack and eat quick service during the day and at night I either find an open seat at a lounge or a last minute reservation somewhere.

I'd say if there's anything that is a can't miss on your list then make that reservation. Otherwise wait until the day before or day of in case your whims change and you're not tied down to one park or area.
I am at that junction right now… I made 7+ reservations and rethinking all of them. lol

Last time I dined at Jiko it was with a reservation and they asked if I wanted to be seated at the prep area in the center. I thoroughly enjoyed that and would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't know if one can do it without a reservation but on that particular night there were only two of us seated there and for most of my time there it was just me.
That must have been awesome!

I do this too. I currently have 20 ADR's right now and I will end up canceling most of them. For example I have 3 for Oga's throughout my trip but I did it last time and have done it 4 times at Disneyland so I will likely cancel those in favor of other drinks I haven't had. I have Steakhouse 71 3 times just because I want to try it for breakfast and for dinner but will likely only use one of the ADR's. It's the fun of planning but with my being solo and having an irritable stomach, I can't be locked down. Who knows how I will feel or even where I will be?

I just returned from a trip. I noticed a small change in the reservation system, I still had to make a reservation for 3 or more to get the time I wanted but the system didn't ask me to provide the additional diners. I immediately went back in and changed the reservation to 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter