• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Prices (w/o Dining Plan)

Our family of 4, including two very light eaters - a 15 y/o DD and DD who will turn 3 while in Disney - will be staying in our RV at Fort Wilderness. So I am thinking we won't need a dining plan, as we can make some breakfasts, and take some lunches. I do want to do some restaurants (and Character Dining!!) though. So, if we don't do the dining plan, how do we know how much the meals will be? I've read that you have to pre-pay when you make your dining reservations and I've seen price ranges, but if there is a range, what do they base your payment on?

Depending on how much your 15 year old eats, the dining plan might not be worth it for you. DD (13) usually splits something with me, orders an appetizer only or a kids meal. She doesn’t eat much and paying for her as an adult on the dining plan would most likely be a waste unless we only ate at buffets, etc.

DD who will turn 3 while in Disney
As a PP mentioned if she is 2 on check in day then she will be free for park ticket and meals can be what ever you want her to eat - either off your plate or just ordering something small.

I've read that you have to pre-pay when you make your dining reservations and I've seen price ranges, but if there is a range, what do they base your payment on?
Only CRT and maybe the dinner shows like aloha and hoop dee doo (but not positive), but you do need a CC to hold a reservation. You can book what you want for reservations but would need to cancel usually by 11:59pm the night before if you change your mind. So knowing that you can book and plan for TS meals, but if you find that you will be able to go back to the RV to eat then cancel the ADR.

If you are trying to figure out a budget then to be safe I would figure $15 pp for a quick service meal and for dinners it can range from between $40-$50, which might be pricey but would anticipate an entree, drink and dessert. If you eat lighter and only order apps and dessert then you will likely come out less. You might also want to figure $5pp for a snack. So with all that maybe budget for $250 per day (for your family of 4) which would cover QS lunch, dinner and a snack. What you can do is buy disney gift cards at target (using the target red CC or debit card) and then you save 5%. Buy ahead what you think you will spend on food -- if you have any extra then it can be used for souvenirs at the end of the trip.

The only real way to figure it out would be to figure out where you want to eat, look at the menu and pricing and then calculate it out.

The dining plan is only a convenience aspect because you know how much you are paying and you get that bill out of the way ahead of time. It does not save you and real money and if anything you feel like you have to eat more or waste more food if you are a light eater.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter