Dining Plan

MarineFam

Remember, It all Started with a Mouse...
I have a question about the Dining plan that Disney offers. Periodically they offer Free Dining Plan during certain times of the year when you stay on property. That is a great deal but now that we bought into DVC I was wondering is there ever a discount offered to us for the Dining plan since we can't take advantage of that offer as we are staying on points? New to DVC and haven't even taken our first trip yet so obviously I have many questions.

I have a question about the Dining plan that Disney offers. Periodically they offer Free Dining Plan during certain times of the year when you stay on property. That is a great deal but now that we bought into DVC I was wondering is there ever a discount offered to us for the Dining plan since we can't take advantage of that offer as we are staying on points? New to DVC and haven't even taken our first trip yet so obviously I have many questions.

Nope. Or rather not when staying on points.

If you can't resist the pull of "free" dining, there is nothing stopping you from booking a full price room & getting the free dining offer.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

As mentioned above, DVC members do not get any dining plan when staying on points. However, many restaurants offer a 10-15% discount for DVC members (you just have to show them your member card), or if you plan to buy an Annual Pass at some point, you can then pick up a Tables In Wonderland card which gives you 20% off your check (however, you are automatically charged 18% gratuity). Currently, DVC owners do get a discount for APs, but that could change at any moment. ;)

As mentioned above, DVC members do not get any dining plan when staying on points. However, many restaurants offer a 10-15% discount for DVC members (you just have to show them your member card), or if you plan to buy an Annual Pass at some point, you can then pick up a Tables In Wonderland card which gives you 20% off your check (however, you are automatically charged 18% gratuity). Currently, DVC owners do get a discount for APs, but that could change at any moment. ;)

The TiW card is available to DVC Members for the same price as Passholders.

TablesInWonderland.com

Disney doesn't have to convince DVC members to go to WDW. They have us already. But cash guests sometimes need to be convinced they need to spend their money at Disney. Thus, discounts for cash guests and not for DVC.

There is a dining calculator out there that is a very useful tool. I have found that most times out of pocket is the best way to go. The DP was more than out of pocket for us. Even with the TIW card there was very little savings. Should note that we never drink alcohol so if you have adult beverages the TIW cards would save you money I'm sure.

Good catch. I forgot DVC offered that. The TiW can be a good deal, but you have to spend a fair amount to break even. I believe the figure is in the $470 range. :)

It's $500 now since they raised the price to $100. Used to only be $375 to break even.

You can buy the dining plan with a DVC points reservation.

The free dining promo requires a full price room purchase and a minimum 2 day ticket purchase. DVC studios start at around $368 per night incl tax for September, just to compare. That plus a ticket purchase will get you "free dining". Points for the same room (OKW studio) is 10 per night.

There is a dining calculator out there that is a very useful tool. I have found that most times out of pocket is the best way to go. The DP was more than out of pocket for us. Even with the TIW card there was very little savings. Should note that we never drink alcohol so if you have adult beverages the TIW cards would save you money I'm sure.

Ooh! Thanks for the tip about a calculator. :cool1: I think I found the link in this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050182&page=10

Back in the day, when the regular DDP was offered at the All Stars, I knew of people who booked the All Stars with free dining but left the room empty and stayed at their DVC resort and ate off the All Star KTTW card. That may still be a viable option for some families depending on how many kids they have and how many of them are "Disney Adults". The All Stars is $118 per night in mid-Sept (during FD) and if you had 4 "Disney Adults" in the room you would pay about $132 per night for $150 "worth" of Quick Service DDP. Even if you pay the $19 upgrade to the DDP you are still a few $$ per day ahead. If you have 5 "Disney Adults" you could book a room at POR for $227 (with tax) and it would be cheaper than paying for 5 regular DDP @ 55.59 per day ($277).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter