• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

dining plan vs eating at rv

It is a Rival we got it for Christmas and finally just started using it. It can be used as a roaster and Smoker depends on what you want to do.

We have done pork roast in it and we have done Chicken. I think it is pretty easy to clean. It is sort of like cleaning a roaster. We are gonna try a Turkey hopefully this weekend, we will see. If it works that is what we will do. 2 chickens took 3 1/2 hours. So a big turkey will take double that time, I have to read the book. It is all trial and error.:goodvibes

when I don't use the DDP I also use my crockpot...one of my favs is to inject a chicken with white wine, sprinkle it with rosemary and put on low....i'm trying an experimant in the next few weeks to see how this works...I'm going to inject a chicken, freeze it....later put it in the crockpot with a timer.....3 hours later let the chicken start cooking.....see if that buys a longer time away from home...8 hours(work/park time) on a chicken its a bit too long...I don't have time enough at lunch to get back to turn it off for work...and don't really like coming back after a 4 hour stint at the parks....hope it works!!!

For $170 a day we could eat lobster and filet every night and still save money!

My complaint about eating out is the amount of time it requires each day. I'd much rather throw something in the crock pot and return to the MH for dinner than spend 2 hours in a restaurant each evening.

i'm trying an experimant in the next few weeks to see how this works...I'm going to inject a chicken, freeze it....later put it in the crockpot with a timer.....3 hours later let the chicken start cooking.....see if that buys a longer time away from home...8 hours(work/park time) on a chicken its a bit too long...I don't have time enough at lunch to get back to turn it off for work...and don't really like coming back after a 4 hour stint at the parks....hope it works!!![/QUOTE]

Let me know how that works out I think it is a great Idea. We always try to pack enough stuff we can use the first half of the trip and then hit Walmart out there to restock, but my mission this time is to get as much as I can packed and only get what we really need out there. If I can freeze more things like that then I am ready to go.

My complaint about eating out is the amount of time it requires each day. I'd much rather throw something in the crock pot and return to the MH for dinner than spend 2 hours in a restaurant each evening.[/QUOTE]

You know I never thought of that. I always look at it like it is more of pain to come back, but your right you always have along time to eat at least this way everyone can cool down in the pool eat lunch and then head back.:flower3:

I am in the pre-planning stage of my trip, and am considering the DDP. Also worth noting that this is my first time looking at Fort Wilderness.
We had free dining on our last trip, and it got me hooked! I loved having $200 in my pocket, and it lasted the entire week!
The only thing that has me doubting it this trip is that we will only be going to the parks 4 of the 7 days we are staying. And that as far as i can see Fort Wilderness does not have a quick-meal option.
Is the Wilderness Lodge close enough to pop over for a bite to eat?

Yeah, you can get on the boat or the bus. I just found that the DDP was just too much food. However, if that is for you, go for it.

All of the lake resorts are just a boat or boat and monorail ride away. :thumbsup2

Old threads never die..........

What Denise said. We have never done the DDP at FW but have done it a few times elsewhere. There is a lot of food, but it can be fun if you don't mind the whole trip being about food. Too bad they don't offer free dining at FW.

As a general rule, we don't do that dining plan. It's just so much easier (not to mention cheaper) to eat at the camper. That being said, however, we're planning to do the DDP in Christmas 2012 due to the number and types of sit-down meals (HDDR and CRT).

We have been Disney people for many years. We have had the dining plan since it became available. we save about 40 % on eating out food. When we go to Disney we go for FUN not to cook and clean the RV. When the kids went with us we were too tired to cook and clean. Now the kids go on their own. Now we are just too plain lazy to cook and clean.

We may have coffee and a snack for breakfast but after that we want our food delivered to our table. After all what is being retired and going to WDW all about?

We do not buy the dining plan... we do eat out once per day at the parks or other resorts... either counter or full service or just snack our way through the day. We break it up so that a few of those are breakfast buffets... and honestly on those days we eat so much... we don't want to eat a full meal again... we just snack and then eat something light once we are back at FW. On the days we do dinner out... we get up and cook out a nice big breakfast at the site.. it's fun. We aren't hungry again until our reservations which we make around 4ish... then we aren't hungry again for the rest of the night. The first few years we went... we found that we ate SO much and we just started feeling sick and full all the time,. We have found a balance for us.... we absolutely cannot eat 3 meals a day at Disney... it is just too much food. So by planning and alternating the times we eat out each day.... we save money and still get to enjoy all the special dishes we love at the parks and resorts. We also have found that we would rather spend the money on little special treats.... like Dole Whips, Beignets and French Press coffees.... than a full sit down meal too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter