Dining plan- swapping out dessert for a side?

Destinyz12

Mouseketeer
Has anyone had any success with asking to swap out the included dessert for a side dish instead anywhere? Especially since sides usually cost less than desserts, anyway. I'm particularly interested in if this is possible at Homecomin, which I know isn't Disney owned but worth a shot asking.

I believe I did it a few years ago on the dining plan. I think it was the first year they offered it. It won’t be all the appetizers, but you can typically replace a dessert with a side salad and usually another lower choice appetizer.

I have NEVER been allowed.
I have had huge success on the plan being able to sub a drink for a dessert using a QS credit. But never allowed at TS to sub the dessert for an app.

Yes, what @smadath said. I never said anything about apps as I know they're usually much more expensive. Sides on the other hand, such as mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, soups, ect. are generally cheaper than the desserts.

Yes, what @smadath said. I never said anything about apps as I know they're usually much more expensive. Sides on the other hand, such as mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, soups, ect. are generally cheaper than the desserts.

In general, each restaurant will decide what they will or won't allow, if anything. The VERY FEW reports we've seen have been a swap for a cup of soup, a side salad, or a vegetable. You'll have to ask at each restaurant, and just because you get something at one, doesn't mean you will at the next.

Sorry I meant to say side not app.
I’ve never been allowed to sub the dessert for anything at TS.

About a year and a half ago, the only dessert substitutions offered to us at both Homecomin and Raglan Road were a bowl of fruit. It might be different now.

It never hurts to ask, however I would not count in this happening. Some restaurants have allowed a small side salad or cup of soup, but this decision has been left to individual restaurants.

When using a dining plan it is best to look at what is allowed and then determine if it works for your dining preferences. We can tell you that we were allowed a sub at one restaurant on one trip, however you may not be granted the same concession.

Has anyone had any success with asking to swap out the included dessert for a side dish instead anywhere? Especially since sides usually cost less than desserts, anyway. I'm particularly interested in if this is possible at Homecomin, which I know isn't Disney owned but worth a shot asking.

Sides on the other hand, such as mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, soups, ect. are generally cheaper than the desserts.
I looked at Homecomin's menu. You won't be able to sub the mashed potatoes or mac & cheese because they are on a separate section of the menu titled "Sides" and have price points. Since you mentioned "the included dessert" I assume you are on the dining plan and separately priced Sides, Enhancements and Add ons are not included on the dining plan. Third party restaurants, like Homecomin' are reimbursed by Disney according to the rules of the dining plan. At best, some TS restaurants might offer an alternative to the menu desserts, but as others have posted, it will be something of the restaurant's choosing and in the case of third party restaurants, something for which they will be reimbursed by Disney.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter