Dining Experiences: Minnie and Friends :( and Hungry Bear :)+Misc.

flyingdumbo127

DIS Veteran
Editing this for clarity.

I don't post much anymore on here other than to offer support and love in the threads about Dom and Rodeo and her family. I do want to share a few experiences from today in the hope of helping out someone on here especially those of you with kids or perhaps less adventurous eaters in your party.

First and foremost, today was a beautiful day to be at Disneyland! Crowds were not all that bad either. Security around 10ish was quick as was buying a ticket and park entry. For me, being at DL is simply fun, I am happy just being there. So please take the below not as complaints but as (I hope) helpful FYI's :) Thanks for reading.

Had breakfast at the Plaza Inn with Minnie and Friends at a later seating. Two things upfront: First, I am not an adventurous eater. Second, I did not ask Disney Dining (or better on here)! if Minnie's menu had changed before making my reservation. Recommend to check recent related dining threads on here before making reservations--especially more expensive ones!

I was disappointed in the food options this morning. The manager I spoke to said the current menu had recently been upgraded. I think it is wonderful to try and appeal to more folks but at the same time keep some simpler favorites such as those wonderful mini chocolate muffins of old! Quick FYI, you are able to request plain scrambled eggs (which is very nice), however know they come seasoned. The potatoes are no longer the shredded hash browns but skinned potato cubes. (These also can be made plain but are still "fancier" in taste than their original counterpart, IMO). Also the desserts seemed to be more limited than I had remembered.

Minnie's is definitely a fun thing to do and I would gather with young kids an especially great way to save time meeting characters while also enjoying a meal :)

One other dining note to :thanks:for pointing me to Hungry Bear! I remembered reading about this restaurant on here and finally tried it out today. Wonderful experience all-around from the food to the cooler and quieter tables. I did suggest to Disney Dining that Pooh Bear find his way into the theming--after all his ride (Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh) is nearby plus what more lovable a hungry a bear is there than dear old Pooh? pooh:

Reminder, stay hydrated! At home, I often drink water like a whale so that is not an issue! At the park it is easy to forget to do so and so important not to! Remember that restaurants do offer free cups of ice water.

Today was the first time I had gotten to ride the Disneyland RR since its remodel. I am so happy the train is back! It was wonderful to see more of the Rivers of America and I think some of the Critter Country Critters may have been new, too? (near the part inside Splash Mountain). One word of caution to parents. The last part of the Train ride on a full circle (back to Main Street) is from Tomorrow Land to Main Street. During this stretch, you go through the Grand Canyon and see the dinosaurs. Be prepared for it to be LOUD. The narration along with some of the dinosaurs. I don't remember it being quite as loud which is why I want to give a heads up on that especially for kids.
Happy upcoming Thanksgiving to all and Merry Christmas, too! God Bless You.

Last edited:
Editing this for clarity.

I don't post much anymore on here other than to offer support and love in the threads about Dom and Rodeo and her family. I do want to share a few experiences from today in the hope of helping out someone on here especially those of you with kids or perhaps less adventurous eaters in your party.

First and foremost, today was a beautiful day to be at Disneyland! Crowds were not all that bad either. Security around 10ish was quick as was buying a ticket and park entry. For me, being at DL is simply fun, I am happy just being there. So please take the below not as complaints but as (I hope) helpful FYI's :) Thanks for reading.

Had breakfast at the Plaza Inn with Minnie and Friends at a later seating. Two things upfront: First, I am not an adventurous eater. Second, I did not ask Disney Dining (or better on here)! if Minnie's menu had changed before making my reservation. Recommend to check recent related dining threads on here before making more expensive especially reservations.

I was disappointed in the food options this morning. The manager I spoke to said the current menu had recently been upgraded. I think it is wonderful to try and appeal to more folks but at the same time keep some simpler favorites such as those wonderful mini chocolate muffins of old! Quick FYI, you are able to request plain scrambled eggs (which is very nice), however know they come seasoned. The potatoes are no longer the shredded hash browns but skinned potato cubes. (These also can be made plain but are still "fancier" in taste than their original counterpart, IMO). Also the desserts seemed to be more limited than I had remembered.

Minnie's is definitely a fun thing to do and I would gather with young kids an especially great way to save time meeting characters while also enjoying a meal :)

One other dining note to :thanks:for pointing me to Hungry Bear! I remembered reading about this restaurant on here and finally tried it out today. Wonderful experience all-around from the food to the cooler and quieter tables. I did suggest to Disney Dining that Pooh Bear find his way into the theming--after all his ride (Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh) is nearby plus what more lovable a hungry a bear is there than dear old Pooh? pooh:

Reminder, stay hydrated! At home, I often drink water like a whale so that is not an issue! At the park it is easy to forget to do so and so important not to! Remember that restaurants do offer free cups of ice water.

Today was the first time I had gotten to ride the Disneyland RR since its remodel. I am so happy the train is back! It was wonderful to see more of the Rivers of America and I think some of the Critter Country Critters may have been new, too? (near the part inside Splash Mountain). One word of caution to parents. The last part of the Train ride on a full circle (back to Main Street) is from Tomorrow Land to Main Street. During this stretch, you go through the Grand Canyon and see the dinosaurs. Be prepared for it to be LOUD. The narration along with some of the dinosaurs. I don't remember it being quite as loud which is why I want to give a heads up on that especially for kids.
Happy upcoming Thanksgiving to all and Merry Christmas, too! God Bless You.

Will you share what characters were at Minnie's breakfast?

Thank you for your review! I had wanted to do a Character breakfast and was debating between Storytellers or Plaza Inn. Hungry Bear is a must for us now :)

Hi, Avkuehn, upon being checked in at Minnie's, you get to have your picture taken outside the restaurant with Minnie. During this time, I did see Tigger and Pooh outside going to the very few people who were dining outside (remember this was around 10:30 so near the 11am end of the breakfast) Inside, the restaurant, there were Chip (he has a browner nose to indicate a chocolate chip)?, Dale, Goofy's Son, Eyeore, oh and very briefly one of the Mary Poppins penguins.

Welcome, smercerdiemont :) Enjoy Hungry Bear :) I've never been to Storyteller's so am not able to share on that. Like I said above, depending on the preferences in your party, you may want to double check on the menu. One related note, that the Plaza Inn manager told me, was that sometimes over the phone Disney Dining may not have the most up to date information regarding menus. An extra plus to check on here :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter