Dilemma - need advice

GottaLoveDis

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I'm a long time member here but created a new profile because I think a few people know me under my other name and I'm not ready to reveal this yet.

I recently found out that I'm pregnant and this is something we have been wanting for a long, long time. It was a wonderful surprise. Having said that, I'm cautiously excited because it's still so early.

We have a trip to WDW planned in mid-July and I would be about 10.5 weeks along at the start of the trip. I go back and forth about whether we should cancel or not. I definitely plan on talking to my doctor about it, but I have a feeling he will say it's okay to go. I could be wrong though.

I am thinking of cancelling because it will be hot and I'm already a little nervous about something happening as it is. I would of course be extra careful and drink lots of fluids.

If we do cancel, then we would need to make a trip by Dec. 2018 or else our tickets will expire. So in that case, we would plan to go next summer with a 5ish-month-old. Being first time parents, I have no idea how that would go. My husband is a teacher so we are limited as to the time of year we could go

What does everyone think?

Congratulations! I was newly pregnant last summer so I understand your concerns. I think there are pros and cons to both scenarios - you may not feel great during your trip at 10.5 weeks, you might tire easily, and the heat definitely won't help. But if you took it easy and stayed hydrated I'm sure you would still have a magical time!

I haven't traveled with my littles yet, so I can't offer any advice on going with a 5 month old, but people do it all the time. I've found it's taken me a few months to get into a good routine with a baby, and especially with sleeping arrangements at 5 months old I would be a little wary about disrupting our daily routines. But every baby is different so it's hard to say at this point!

Best of luck to you during your pregnancy!

Hi all, I'm a long time member here but created a new profile because I think a few people know me under my other name and I'm not ready to reveal this yet.

I recently found out that I'm pregnant and this is something we have been wanting for a long, long time. It was a wonderful surprise. Having said that, I'm cautiously excited because it's still so early.

We have a trip to WDW planned in mid-July and I would be about 10.5 weeks along at the start of the trip. I go back and forth about whether we should cancel or not. I definitely plan on talking to my doctor about it, but I have a feeling he will say it's okay to go. I could be wrong though.

I am thinking of cancelling because it will be hot and I'm already a little nervous about something happening as it is. I would of course be extra careful and drink lots of fluids.

If we do cancel, then we would need to make a trip by Dec. 2018 or else our tickets will expire. So in that case, we would plan to go next summer with a 5ish-month-old. Being first time parents, I have no idea how that would go. My husband is a teacher so we are limited as to the time of year we could go

Wait a month and see how you feel physically. 10 weeks is pretty early; you may not notice much difference at all or you may be exhausted and debilitated by morning sickness. As for the risk involved - I'm pretty sure your doctor will clear you to go as long as you have no extenuating conditions. I understand you being nervous but life will proceed rather normally for you over the next 8 months. Best of luck! :wave2:

Unquestionably check with your doctor, but outside of something unexpected I don't see any reason whatsoever not to go. Sure, it's hot, but if you take proper precautions you'll be fine.

Before we had kids, Las Vegas was a favorite destination for DW and I...which is funny because we don't drink and don't gamble. Once we found out she was pregnant with our oldest son, we immediately said "Let's take one last trip". I don't remember the exact dates when we went, but it was around late August to mid-September and our son was born the following March. It was hot as blazes in Vegas, like low 100s, ever day. We just played it smart and she was fine.

I've seen women who are clearly in their third trimester walking around WDW in July. Makes me glad to be a guy... :D

I traveled to Greece and Italy during about the same time frame of my pregnancy and also during the summer, so it was incredibly hot. My doctor had no concerns about me going on the trip. I made sure to drink water constantly and if I felt the heat getting to me at all I found somewhere to cool off. Of course, check with your doctor to see about your own personal situation, but it is definitely doable!

You are all making me feel better, so thank you!

If we do decide to go, I have researched what rides are not recommended for expectant mothers and I realize there are more that you can do than not.

But then I think of little things like this, you know how when you ride certain water rides (Living with the Land, It's a Small World, etc) that when you reach the very end of the ride and are maybe behind another boat waiting to disembark, your boat gets pulled up that pulley and goes bump, bump, bump pretty violently, lol. Yeah that is something I worry about. Is it too much shaking? And then sometimes when there is a back up at the end of rides you bump the boat in front of you and then the boat behind you gets bumped....it can jerk you pretty good. I told you I'm nervous lol.

Go ahead and have fun! Make sure to say extra hydrated, and take some breaks. I would avoid ToT, MS, RnRC, SpM, SplM...things with heavy spinning or drops.

DD#2 has been taking GS#2 to the parks since he was about 5 months old. She doesn't do as many rides now; it's mainly character meet-n-greets, food & wine (or the equivalent each time we go), some kiddy rides, etc.

At that point in my pregnancies, I felt fine, even with twins. Just wait and see how you fee, and I can't think of any reason why your doctor would advise yo not to go. Congratulations!

If we do decide to go, I have researched what rides are not recommended for expectant mothers and I realize there are more that you can do than not.

But then I think of little things like this, you know how when you ride certain water rides (Living with the Land, It's a Small World, etc) that when you reach the very end of the ride and are maybe behind another boat waiting to disembark, your boat gets pulled up that pulley and goes bump, bump, bump pretty violently, lol. Yeah that is something I worry about. Is it too much shaking? And then sometimes when there is a back up at the end of rides you bump the boat in front of you and then the boat behind you gets bumped....it can jerk you pretty good. I told you I'm nervous lol.
The uterus protects the baby from things like that, especially that early on. I've had some bad falls pregnant (resulting in cuts and bruises) and my OB assured me my baby would be fine. Now, if you are in a car accident bad enough to deploy the airbags, that could be a different story.

Definitely talk to your doctor but realize unless you are medically fragile, your body is incredibly strong and designed to carry baby. A bump in a boat will not hurt you or baby. When I was pregnant I had to drive over massive speed bumps at my job everyday. No matter how slow I went, it was a big bump and it was fine! For me, at that that stage, morning sickness was an issue but I would have rather gone sick (which I did) than take a small infant in the heat of summer. I would have worried much more about the infant in the heat than my body.

I would go as long as the Dr. cleared me for the trip. You will just have to modify the trip. Don't do a commando trip where you go go go all day and into the night. Plan on drinking lots of water, take it slow, take breaks, take naps in the day etc.

Share your concerns with your doctor. If you decide you are not comfortable, then cancel and plan a trip with the little one, since you will not have fun if you are constantly worried.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about the safety issue as long as you avoid the rides that say not to ride while pregnant. I doubt your doctor will be concerned about it either (though do ask). My only concern would be whether you will feel well enough to actually enjoy it. My nausea usually set in around 6 weeks and didn't lift until the first trimester was over. My very first trip to Disney was in the first trimester of my first pregnancy. All I remember about that trip was scouring menu after menu trying to find something I felt like I could eat. At home at least I could have instant access to whatever odd thing happened to sound good.

If you do go, take plenty of crackers and whatever else becomes your "go to" item for nausea.

Hopefully you won't have issues. But I would keep an open mind on it for a few more weeks until you see if the nausea is an issue for you. Then you can decide whether that will interfere with your ability to enjoy a trip.

Is there any way to delay a few weeks so you can be well into your second trimester? I think that would give you better odds of enjoying it.

Been awhile since I was pregnant but you should be fine on the rides you can ride. They won't shake the baby loose. Just check with your OB, if they think you will be ok - Go & enjoy. Once the little one comes you will probably be thankful you had this last trip as a couple.

As far as morning sickness, everyone is different. I had pretty nasty sickness early on but it almost always hit at the same time everyday, so I just learned that was when I needed to be somewhere I could relax.

BTW CONGRATS!!!!

As a guy, I can't really speak to what it's like being pregnant. But if I remember anything from 7th grade health class, it seems to me that going as early in your pregnancy as possible would be the best decision. You may even be able to enjoy some of the milder rides, like Splash Mountain.

I would advise traveling with a baby. Bottom line, he wouldn't be into it.

If you do go I would definitely recommend trip insurance if you can find one that will insure you pregnant. A lot can change quickly when you're pregnant. If I was having an uneventful pregnancy I'd rather go pregnant than with a 5 month baby. Some babies are great travelers but some are colicky and difficult. You won't know which one you have until they're born and you get your sea legs as a parent. I've had one of each.

Check on the tickets. They might expire, but I'm thinking at that point they would honor them, but have you pay the difference to current gate price.

Yes. The new tickets do "expire" but you are entitled to their value at time of purchase toward the new price. You can generally count on an annual price increase, but it's usually not that much.

I wouldn't think there should be any issues going to WDW while 10 weeks pregnant, but of course avoid the rides that have warnings about that. For some, this would be a real downer for the trip, so that's kinda up to you. There is still a lot to enjoy though.

Congratulations - how very wonderful!

I understand your dilemma and your desire to do what's absolutely best for you and your child. I just wanted to point out that you may not *have* to make a trip this summer or next. If the reason you were saying that was because you're worried about losing your ticket money, there's another option. You can apply the cost of your current tickets towards new tickets after they expire. In other words, letting your tickets expire unused, doesn't really mean you're out all that money. This is from the Disney website FAQ's:

The amount paid for an unused, expired ticket may be applied towards the purchase of a new ticket at the current price so long as the new ticket purchase price is equal to or greater than the amount paid for the original ticket. (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/ticket-dates/)

Now if the issue was just that you can't stand the thought of going more than a year without some Disney World in your life, I understand that too, of course.

I wish you and your family all the best.

I really appreciate everyone's input and encouragement. I liked a PP idea of maybe pushing the trip a little so that I'm into my second trimester. I think I'd feel better doing that. So we'd be going in the very beginning of August. Now I'm off to research hotel prices!!

I'm not a mom so I can't speak from experience, but my friend took her baby around 3 months old. She explained that aside from extra packing and gear you have to bring, a baby was fairy easy on vacation. Easy to take care of, keep tabs on, etc. It's her two your old that is harder to travel with since he's running around, curious, throws fits, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter