• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Digital School Stinks for Elementary Kids

wilbret

DIS Veteran
I am at home with our 3 kids, and I am over it. These kids would face almost no risk returning to school, it's time to just make it happen. Neighboring schools and private schools are in session.
I either get to focus on my job, or focus on them. If I focus on them too much, my job is at risk. If I focus on my job too much, then they can't stay focused.
Daily tech issues, either with software, hardware, or Internet... ugh.
There is too much down time during the day for them to dream of staying on task, and I can't be there with them every moment.
Pets and access to their familiar things are a problem.

Kudos to those managing this situation right now. It stinks.

/end rant

I have been teaching in person for the last six weeks, while my kids are remote learning. It's been awful. My fourth grader hates school for the first time. He has headaches and dreads logging on. The board is supposed to vote today to see whether they will go back in person/hybrid model. Remote learning will still be an option for kids and teachers who are high risk. If they vote no, I'm enrolling him in private school. Neighboring districts have been in person since August with no Covid cases, daycares have been open since March with no Covid cases, and private schools have been open since August with no Covid cases. We can look to these districts to see what they are doing to ensure a safer return. I'm sorry that you are struggling as well. <3

Last edited:
I only have one, but it's the same here. I have to work from home (my office said they will probably have us telework until january) and my daughter is doing all virtual. The school said they will review a return after the thanksgiving break, but a bunch of neighboring districts said the same and are now reopening early with a hybrid model.

My daughter is older but she has some learning disabilities and its impossible for me to work and stay on top of her assignments also, I feel like i am going crazy everyday. With everything else opening I don't see why schools should remain closed. I would gladly return to my office too!

I have been teaching in person for the last six weeks, while my kids are remote learning. It's been awful. My fourth grader hates school for the first time. He has headaches and dreads logging on. The board is supposed to vote today to see whether they will go back in person/hybrid model. Remote learning will still be an option for kids and teachers who are high risk. If they vote no, I'm enrolling him in private school. Neighboring districts have been in person since August with no Covid cases, daycares have been open since March with no Covid cases, and private schools have been open since August with no Covid cases. We can look to these districts to see what they are doing to ensure a safer return. I'm sorry that you are struggling as well. <3

My wife is a teacher, and has been teaching for 6 weeks as well... she had the kids with her in her classroom for the first 5, but they aren't allowed to do that anymore. They did offer to bring in an in-house tutor for faculty kids with a price tag beyond reason. So, here we are!

I think remote learning sucks for all ages. My college student is doing ok in her classes but she hates it. My youngest is in junior high and she is struggling. I'm having the same issues of trying to balance my work from home while managing her. She's said she wishes she could just go in person because it would be easier for her to pay attention and get her work done.

I know it sucks for teachers, too, though. We're all just trying to figure this out and do our best to get through it.

I'm sorry :( My kids are older - 8th and 11th - and it has been almost a breeze with them. I am working in my office at home, they are in their rooms, and we all just meet in the middle for lunch.

Does your company offer flex time for it? Mine does, but as my kids are older, I have not had to take too much yet.

I'm sorry :( My kids are older - 8th and 11th - and it has been almost a breeze with them. I am working in my office at home, they are in their rooms, and we all just meet in the middle for lunch.

Does your company offer flex time for it? Mine does, but as my kids are older, I have not had to take too much yet.
I started my job literally the same day the kids had to come home. The school system threw that one on us, we weren't expecting it. The kids had made work areas in the classroom, expecting to be there until Thanksgiving, at least.

I agree that it sucks. I agree that it's exhausting, sometimes upsetting, it can wreck havoc on the schedule of the adult overseeing the child/children.

However, I think it sucks for more than just small kids and parents. I think it stinks for teachers and older kids, too.

As for this, though:
These kids would face almost no risk returning to school, it's time to just make it happen.

I think we need to remember that there are more than just kids returning to school and any risk for the adults matters every bit as much. :)

That being said, I do think it can be safe to attempt to allow teachers and kids to return in some capacity. The issue then becomes whether or not any given school is able to do what it takes to reach that point. Our own district will be starting hybrid learning soon but for the beginning of the year we have been virtual only as they worked out all of the changes and measures that needed to be in place for hybrid. It was a lot, and we just were given all of the things we have to do to have the kids go to school, and my kids all feel a bit overwhelmed by hearing all they have to change and remember. They'll be fine in the long run, but I think they're just tired of the constant changes at this point.

It's hard for all ages. I have a 5th and 7th grader. DD12 isn't doing too bad but DS10 struggles. DH and I both work full time (him in a factory me in a lawfirm) so they can reach me when needed - and they do as I get numerous phone calls a day over frustrations or needing help because the teachers aren't available to help. They have scheduled zoom times to log on for questions when not on live classes but at times, like later this week, DS' one stated she will be out of town so she will assign work but won't be available to help.
Thankfully we start back next week slowly. Our K-6 grades go for 2 weeks on hybrid (so DS will go Tuesday and Friday) then they start full time. When he starts full time DD starts hybrid for 2 weeks then full time. We are on the edge of 2 other counties and those schools all started back full time and knock on wood, have been doing great

My daughter (high school, not elementary) stayed home on Friday with a fever. So glad those masks work...

I agree that it sucks. I agree that it's exhausting, sometimes upsetting, it can wreck havoc on the schedule of the adult overseeing the child/children.

However, I think it sucks for more than just small kids and parents. I think it stinks for teachers and older kids, too.

As for this, though:

I think we need to remember that there are more than just kids returning to school and any risk for the adults matters every bit as much. :)

That being said, I do think it can be safe to attempt to allow teachers and kids to return in some capacity. The issue then becomes whether or not any given school is able to do what it takes to reach that point. Our own district will be starting hybrid learning soon but for the beginning of the year we have been virtual only as they worked out all of the changes and measures that needed to be in place for hybrid. It was a lot, and we just were given all of the things we have to do to have the kids go to school, and my kids all feel a bit overwhelmed by hearing all they have to change and remember. They'll be fine in the long run, but I think they're just tired of the constant changes at this point.
Right, but families and teachers can opt out. There's no way they would mandate in-person at this point.

I hear ya. And I agree with you. My kids are 12 and 14 and for certain subjects (math, science), they just don't learn the material as well online. My kids can absorb it and understand it better when they're physically in front of the teacher in the same room. Our school just started an in-person instruction option today and I'm grateful for that. I hope that your school can start that soon as well!

I hope not. If that's the case, we will be enrolling in Private School, where the virus miraculously has no effect.

I work at a private school. We are only doing distance learning until further notice, possibly the entire academic year. We are in Los Angeles county.

Right, but families and teachers can opt out. There's no way they would mandate in-person at this point.
Um, maybe where you are. Here the teachers can't just "opt out". If they were concerned they had to get a doctor to write a note saying they could not teach in person this year, and then the school health people had to OK it. I can tell you not many teachers were approved to opt out of in-person teaching around here.

School in any capacity this year sucks. For everyone. Virtual learning is horrible unless your student is very self motivated, and many just aren't, regardless of how old they are. The hybrid model my kids have is only slated to cover ~50% of the material they would have covered in a normal year. Apparently that is ok with the district, because they will still be able to pass the state exams for their grade level... And I get to deal with them on their "remote days" doing busywork that is boring and repetitive. In person school (for those lucky enough to get it) involves so many adjustments and work arounds that all of the "fun" parts my kids looked forward to are gone.

Equal access to education was a myth before, but now it is quite a stark difference for those who have money vs those who do not.

There was a newspaper article the other day stating that the private schools around here were seeing large enrollment increases.

I work at a private school. We are only doing distance learning until further notice, possibly the entire academic year. We are in Los Angeles county.
Here, in GA where we are, private schools are in session. As are many public schools, including the elementary school that is 3 miles from house in the next county. It is physically closer to us that our school.

There was a newspaper article the other day stating that the private schools around here were seeing large enrollment increases.
That is true here, as well. Home Schooling numbers have surged as well. Quite a few of our kids' friends have made the leap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter