• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

digital photo package

Good idea to take a pic on your phone at each location as a reminder. Question - do they have nicely printed signs at each photo spot? I'm thinking something to take a picture of as a momento that will act as a page identifier in a scrapbook as well as a reminder when looking for your photos at Shutters.
no, not really anything like that. the photo spots for each character are mainly in the atrium and in front of the WD Theater and are reused by different characters. Some have a back drop depending on theme, and there is a larger atrium on the Dream class so there are a few more spots available. the chatacter spots on CC are unique (like Mt. Rustmore, the post office) but don't have signs or anything. The princesses meet in the atrium, but Anna and Elsa are in AP, and there is a back drop and Frozen theme to the room.

We did buy the memory maker package for our WDW part of the trip. It wasn't too expensive and it includes all of the party members as long as they're listed as friends and family on my acct. Also, it provides videos of a couple of the rides so it was an easy decision.

As far as the digital photo package for DCL, I'm a little hesitant at $295. After doing a little more research, it seems that I'll have to pay a little more because we have a party of 6 between 2 rooms with my mom and two kids in the second room. It appears that the photo package on DCL only takes picture of your immediate family members and so my mom wouldn't count in the second room. If she took a picture with any of the kids or me or my wife, the picture would be included but if it's just her in the picture, it would not be included. I think I read that a second package can be added for multiple room parties for 50% off the second order so we're looking at about $450 if we want to make certain that we'll have all of our photos. Seems really steep.

We've been on 2 previous DCL cruises on the Wonder. One was a "trip to nowhere" of 2 nights and the other was a 5 night cruise. We didn't really take too many photos with the photographers and I brought my own camera. When we did take any pictures with them, I already had the same pictures on my camera so that's why I'm hesitant with our upcoming trip.

The cruises we have been on our family has had multiple cabins but we all used one persons KTTW card for any character meets. All pictures for all the cabins showed up under the one KTTW card and did not have to buy per cabin. We also only do the digital copies and then print at home through shutterfly and get what we want for cheaper. They give you a print release when you purchase the digital.

The cruises we have been on our family has had multiple cabins but we all used one persons KTTW card for any character meets. All pictures for all the cabins showed up under the one KTTW card and did not have to buy per cabin. We also only do the digital copies and then print at home through shutterfly and get what we want for cheaper. They give you a print release when you purchase the digital.
The use of a single KTTW card doesn't always work. Shutters also uses facial recognition to determine what photos show up in the folder.

That's why it's recommended that people check their folders from time to time, to make sure the photos they think should be in there are there.

So even though my mom is staying in a second room and technically requires another photo package, if I just hand them my KTTW card as we go through taking pictures, it should show up under the 1 package that I buy? I might be able to swallow the cost for one package but to pay for a second package is way too much.

For me, I've always wondered about how they determine the charge for the pictures. In my opinion, I've always been of the mindset that they should make it inexpensive and this way more people will buy it instead of charging a higher cost and less people will buy it. Whether one person or 1000 people buy a photo package, they're still being hired to stand there and take pictures and now since it's all digital, there isn't the overhead cost like it used to be where they would print out the pictures and if you didn't buy them end up throwing them away.

We have our time booked with the princesses and Elsa and Anna so we'll have some pictures then. Our cruise will also have SWDaS. We've never been on a SWDaS cruise so I don't know how much opportunity there will be for pictures but they're making it sound like there will be a lot. We've also never been to Castaway Cay so don't know what to expect there as well for pictures.

On our previous cruise, I've brought along my large camera and a small p&s. They're quality cameras so even though I don't have the same studio set up at some of these formal photo ops, I can still get a good picture. The problem though is, I'm the one taking the picture instead of being in them. As far as Castaway Cay, I'll have my p&s and I'll have my underwater case so I'll be able to get more pictures of the day than where ever the photo ops are but again, it'll be nice to be able to be in the pictures unless I hand off my camera and ask them to take one or two for me.

So even though my mom is staying in a second room and technically requires another photo package, if I just hand them my KTTW card as we go through taking pictures, it should show up under the 1 package that I buy? I might be able to swallow the cost for one package but to pay for a second package is way too much.

For me, I've always wondered about how they determine the charge for the pictures. In my opinion, I've always been of the mindset that they should make it inexpensive and this way more people will buy it instead of charging a higher cost and less people will buy it. Whether one person or 1000 people buy a photo package, they're still being hired to stand there and take pictures and now since it's all digital, there isn't the overhead cost like it used to be where they would print out the pictures and if you didn't buy them end up throwing them away.

We have our time booked with the princesses and Elsa and Anna so we'll have some pictures then. Our cruise will also have SWDaS. We've never been on a SWDaS cruise so I don't know how much opportunity there will be for pictures but they're making it sound like there will be a lot. We've also never been to Castaway Cay so don't know what to expect there as well for pictures.

On our previous cruise, I've brought along my large camera and a small p&s. They're quality cameras so even though I don't have the same studio set up at some of these formal photo ops, I can still get a good picture. The problem though is, I'm the one taking the picture instead of being in them. As far as Castaway Cay, I'll have my p&s and I'll have my underwater case so I'll be able to get more pictures of the day than where ever the photo ops are but again, it'll be nice to be able to be in the pictures unless I hand off my camera and ask them to take one or two for me.

Yes, as long as she is in a few pics the facial recognition should then pick her up and add any pictures that you don't give them your card for (dinner mostly) then they should all go to that one account. We had 9 on our first cruise and all got in one big family picture and had no trouble getting all of the others to show up on the one account or key.
Like everyone has said you do want to make sure and check that they are all there.

The photo opportunities are endless on the cruise, we have ended up with tons of pictures every cruise. There are scheduled character meets, family photo opportunities in the evening with different back drops, they go around some nights at dinner and take pictures in the restaurants too(the best picture of our son came from pirate night dinner).

Castaway Cay has characters there too and like you said, I like to be in the pics too.
I would just rather not worry about carrying a camera personally.

They will still print all of the pictures and put them in a book in shutters for you to access and look at and purchase if you wish. We have done it both ways, bought everything, and have bought just the digital. We lean toward digital though.

So even though my mom is staying in a second room and technically requires another photo package, if I just hand them my KTTW card as we go through taking pictures, it should show up under the 1 package that I buy?
I wouldn't count on it. If your room purchases the full digital package, and your mom's room doesn't, she is not included in your package. However, any photos taken with at least one person from your room in them will be included, regardless of who else is in them. Your mom's individual photos are not included. Does it slip by sometimes, yes. Does it always, no.

So after double checking the reservation, it looks like I actually have my mom staying in the same room as me and my daughter and my wife and two boys are staying in the second room, at least that's how it's listed on the reservation. I think this should work out in my favor because doesn't the photo package purchased for the primary room include immediate family members? If it does, then it should include my two boys in the second room and my wife but it will also include my mom because she's listed as an occupant in the first room. I guess this won't work if they don't count my wife in the second room for whatever reason. What are your thoughts?

Yes. Well, actually, they will cancel the full package (credit back on your onboard account) and then you purchase the smaller package (charged to your onboard account).

But when you buy ahead you need to pre-pay, correct? So if you decide to cancel the full package, you get the credit back to your account and not the original payment method.

So after double checking the reservation, it looks like I actually have my mom staying in the same room as me and my daughter and my wife and two boys are staying in the second room, at least that's how it's listed on the reservation. I think this should work out in my favor because doesn't the photo package purchased for the primary room include immediate family members? If it does, then it should include my two boys in the second room and my wife but it will also include my mom because she's listed as an occupant in the first room. I guess this won't work if they don't count my wife in the second room for whatever reason. What are your thoughts?

We had two rooms, with various family relationships, so I looked into this a bit, but my memory isn't totally clear.

I THINK it said everyone in room 1 plus your minor children in room 2. So if I am right, in the rooms as you described, your mother would be covered, but your wife wouldn't. But unless you have your heart set on some shots of your wife by herself, you should still be OK, because the package includes any time a covered person is in the picture. So Your wife, plus any of you, should still be OK.

my trip...
5 days wdw memory maker $150
4 nights all digital photos $195
so doesnt make sense.

You can get a professional photo shoot almost every night of the cruise, which means more photos so it makes sense for the Price to be higher if you look at it that way.

You can get a professional photo shoot almost every night of the cruise, which means more photos so it makes sense for the Price to be higher if you look at it that way.

I thought the professional photo sessions are a separate charge from the photo package. I'm almost too scared to even inquire how much those will cost but when I looked online, it said to inquire with the photo dept about scheduling private professional photos.

I was referring to the backdrops set up around the ship where you can take pictures. If you want a private session elsewhere or in port then that is extra

Last edited:

We have done parent 1 and child 1 in one room and parent 2 and child 2 in another and have had no problem getting them all in one package. I think your plan will work.

So we cruised on the Dream last March last minute and I did some research that said you can take pictures with the characters with your own camera. So I opted NOT to get the photo package. And I wish I would have! While I did get some pictures with my camera, the lighting was terrible! And it's not like you have time to stand there and adjust your settings while your child is posing with the princesses! So I was slightly disappointed. I ended up purchasing 3 photos I couldn't live without which cost me $60. And there were more I wanted but couldn't justify the $20 a piece price tag for them. We are going on the Fantasy in May and I FULLY intend on buying the package. And to make sure we get our money's worth, we are going to pose for A LOT of pictures. And I'm hoping for some fun action shots at Castaway Cay. I agree with the point, my daughter is only 2 1/2 once and I want to capture this trip as much as possible. Also, bonus my husband hates pictures but he hates wasting money more. So I think he will actually pose. :)

We did buy the memory maker package for our WDW part of the trip. It wasn't too expensive and it includes all of the party members as long as they're listed as friends and family on my acct. Also, it provides videos of a couple of the rides so it was an easy decision.

As far as the digital photo package for DCL, I'm a little hesitant at $295. After doing a little more research, it seems that I'll have to pay a little more because we have a party of 6 between 2 rooms with my mom and two kids in the second room. It appears that the photo package on DCL only takes picture of your immediate family members and so my mom wouldn't count in the second room. If she took a picture with any of the kids or me or my wife, the picture would be included but if it's just her in the picture, it would not be included. I think I read that a second package can be added for multiple room parties for 50% off the second order so we're looking at about $450 if we want to make certain that we'll have all of our photos. Seems really steep.

We've been on 2 previous DCL cruises on the Wonder. One was a "trip to nowhere" of 2 nights and the other was a 5 night cruise. We didn't really take too many photos with the photographers and I brought my own camera. When we did take any pictures with them, I already had the same pictures on my camera so that's why I'm hesitant with our upcoming trip.

I purchased the package for my 7 night cruise last year. I felt it was completely worth it- went home with over 300 pictures. Regarding your mom in another room, we had a similar situation. In my room was my immediate family and my in-laws and niece were in another room. They were in every picture taken with my children but I also received pictures of each of them alone too. Every picture of my niece with the characters, by herself, was included in my file.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter