"Different" Weddings?

Lavender_Blue

Dilly Dilly
All weddings have beautiful, special, memorable moments, but did you ever try to do something extra special or extra different to add to the memory?

I was just wondering that. I'm a latina bride and my fiancee is half-white and half-Chinese, but, since he was raised mostly by his mother (who's from Hong Kong) he's always related more to his Asian side and thus we've decided to have an Asian wedding. For me, I was interested in it because I've been to several traditional latino weddings in my family, with the mariachis and stuff and I wanted to show everyone something different as well as try something different for myself. It just makes me giggle with excitement too because the majority of our guests are my family (his family is extremely small) and I think everyone would have a wonderful time experiencing something new and exciting (especially if it's Disney). I already announced the theme with everyone and they're all excited.

We picked, of course, the China pavillion at Epcot for the ceremony. Afterwards, we'll head out for cocktails and Illuminations, and then head back in for the reception. We're not having it in the circle area (the acoustics are funny), but we're having it in the area where you usually see Si Xian perform. It might look small, but our wedding is small. Plus I love the paintings in the room.

I'm going to wear a red qi pao. My four bridesmaids will represent the four seasons (my maid of honor will represent all four seasons). We're going to have a pagoda cake with the sign for 'double happiness' on top. And we want the gu zheng players from Si Xian (the musical performance at Epcot's China Pavillion) to play as I walk down the aisle. And...if there's enough money in the budget....we may get the acrobats, too (but we're not gonna hold our breath).

We're also going to do the tradition where I spend the night with my bridesmaids and maid of honor and he's going to have to do whatever they tell him to do (be it 50 push ups or whatever) before the wedding. Once he wins their approval he'll leave and I'll join him at the altar later.

I've decided not to do the tea ceremony because his family is too small. Normally, a bride makes some dragon-phoenix tea and presents it to her in-laws in order of oldest to youngest (I think) and in exchange they present her with a red envelope with money (usually an amount with the number 9, because 9 is a lucky number). But he only will have his mom and his sister there. The rest will be his friends and their families.

We really don't want a "Chinese" wedding, anyway. We want more of an "Asian" wedding. I love India and Indian culture and want to incorporate some of that into the wedding too, somehow. Like paisley designs on some of the layers of the cake. Or incorporating a sari like design or influence with the bridesmaids dresses.

It's just hard, I think, trying to find places that allow me to do this stuff. Like, I can't find any places to purchase any qi paos, or any silk materials should I choose to pick regular dresses for my bridesmaids and have them altered. When we lived in California, that stuff was easy to come by. We lived very close to a China town. But now I live in Florida and don't really know where to start. =\

But I think I know how the overall look of the wedding might go.

So...what about you other brides? Any stories to share (or advice)?

The hard part is all the research.

I'm no help at all, but I think your wedding sounds FANTASTIC! I can't wait to hear more about it and see pictures as you start really planning!

I dont really have a story or any advice to share, but I just wanted to say that I think your wedding is going to be beautiful!!! Everything you've mentioned so far sounds so lovely! I love Asian culture, so I think its going to be a beautiful affair!! I think you're heading in the right direction, its just a lot of research and research and research to pull it all together. You should start a Planning Journal here, it really helps to keep your thoughts and ideas in order!!! Plus, then we all get to see your ideas and oogle over them! lol :goodvibes good luck!!

Thanks for the sites. I did like the dresses listed under 'folk costume' but...because they're designed to be costumes, they don't look as neatly cut or elaborate, but the pictures give me some sort of idea.

Also, the fabrics are very nice and I will keep those in mind!

The problem with qi paos is picking one that feels like it can't be confused with other types of qi paos. =\ I don't like how a lot of them all look the same. So, I'm hoping to find something with more of a distincitve (and elaborate) style.

you might want to find a chinese seamstress somewhere near you (sorry, I wouldn't know where to start, either). DH is 1/2 chinese, too, and we had a chinese banquet after our FTW. I was supposed to get a red chinese dress and went to try some on. Well, I'm not your typical straight-figured asian (I have a shape) so none of the pre-made dresses fit over my hips. I'd hate for you to order something and it not fit... good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter