Different "things" I noticed...just back

Ellajoan

Mouseketeer
Just spent a week at WDW and here are my trip observations....

Things I was happy about
1. Food Court at Art of Animation no longer plays the same 15 songs on rotation--actually, no music at all. Much quieter.

2. The refurbished rooms at Pop Century. Gorgeous, clean, modern, huge TV, coffee makers and Queen comfy new beds. Fantastic!

3. Uniqlo and Coke store at Disney Springs. Great additions and good prices on items, especially for being in WDW. The "flights" at the Coke store were fun and a great value.

4. Boards at resorts posting wait times for buses.

5. Ample Hills Creamery at the Boardwalk. Absolutely delicious and unique flavors. It almost makes me feel bad for Beaches and Cream.

6. Flight of Passage at AK. Best ride I've ever been on..hands down.

7. Every single Cast Member we met was outstanding. Not a bad interaction in the bunch, and many CMs went above and beyond.

8. Everest at night. No lights on the track--super scary and way more intense than a daytime ride.

9. Continued increase in resort specific merchandise available to guests.

10. Magic Bands seem to have the kinks worked out--most CM's understood them much better than last year's trip.

11. Pop offered a Disney gift card for foregoing mousekeeping during our stay. Mousekeeping still gave us fresh towels and toiletries when we requested them. Totally worth it.

Things that bummed me out
1. No more shark reef at Typhoon Lagoon. That was one of the most unique experiences at Disney, let along anywhere. Will miss it greatly.

2. The giant pin trading board was gone at Pin Traders. Boo!

3. The last day of "The Great Movie Ride."

4. Shorter evening hours at MK. Closed at 10 every night except for the occasional EMH.

Things that made me go "hmmm"/Wonderings
1. Why do the deluxe resorts food courts have much less selection than the values or moderates? We went to a few deluxe resorts to eat and were disappointed with the food choices there.

2. The Minnie/Mini Vans-not sure of their purpose--they were not advertised at all to onsite guests. But they WERE darn cute--just no idea what they do!

3. The hairbands at the top of Everest where the track runs out...Why?

4. Wondering where in WDW will the Star Wars Hotel go.

One of the BEST trips we've had to WDW ever!

Last edited:
Just spent a week at WDW and here are my trip observations....

1. Why do the deluxe resorts food courts have much less selection than the values or moderates? We went to a few deluxe resorts to eat and were disappointed with the food choices there.

I just think overall less demand. Deluxes also have DVC so many eat in room. Most are closer to a park that offers dining. The values are huge complexes with more rooms, and in the middle of no where. Hench the mall food courts. Values just all additional lines for crap food, pixza, hotdogs, burgers etc. exception is Beach Club. They could add more. Though Hurricane Hannahs has more than Marketplace. WL offers banana fosters wafflespoly great dishes, CR has a lot of healthy more quality choices. etc.

Last edited:

I think the deluxe resorts cater to their audience, which likely tend to want table service and a full bar. There's actually a lot of dining variety, it's just all table service. Not a lot of variety at the values, just a lot of the same old.

Lots of interesting theories about the hair bands online but I think it's people just being either jerks or twits, like coins in fountains or love locks on bridges. They're definitely shot off.

Value resorts don't have table service restaurants. The choices at the deluxe resorts come in the form of table service restaurants, not food courts.

Values just all additional lines for crap food, pixza, hotdogs, burgers etc. exception is Beach Club. They could add more. Though Hurricane Hannahs has more than Marketplace. WL offers banana fosters wafflespoly great dishes, CR has a lot of healthy more quality choices. etc.

:confused3 Value resort food courts have a wide variety of food offerings far beyond pizza, hot dogs and burgers. I loved the choices at AoA last time we were there. And I just looked at the current menu for Pop and you can get pot roast or salmon (among a lot of other things) for lunch or dinner.

Things that made me go "hmmm"/Wonderings

2. The Minnie/Mini Vans-not sure of their purpose--they were not advertised at all to onsite guests. But they WERE darn cute--just no idea what they do!

3. The hairbands at the top of Everest where the track runs out...Why?

4. Wondering where in WDW will the Star Wars Hotel go.

1. Because there's less demand for counter service at deluxe resorts.

2. It's a new service Disney is rolling out: $20 for a ride. They're not advertising it because it's not fully rolled out yet.

3. Because people throw them there.

4. My guess is that it will be near DHS

Interesting opinions about the dining at deluxe resorts here. When we stayed at BW, I thought it would have been nice to have a food court or at least more quick service/counter options. Besides the pizza window on the boardwalk and the bakery, it was pretty limited if you didn't want a table service meal.

Value resorts don't have table service restaurants. The choices at the deluxe resorts come in the form of table service restaurants, not food courts.

:confused3 Value resort food courts have a wide variety of food offerings far beyond pizza, hot dogs and burgers. I loved the choices at AoA last time we were there. And I just looked at the current menu for Pop and you can get pot roast or salmon (among a lot of other things) for lunch or dinner.
I meant besides any unique ,healthy options. They automatically add the crap options too That's why it seems like more choices.

I had the pot roast there and it was outstanding (I wasn't expecting much).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter