Difference in Military Tickets

justhat

<font color=teal>DC DISer<br><font color=red>pick
We are going to WDW in October with some friends who are first timers. Friend's family is bringing grandma and grandpa and since grandpa is retired military, I told them they are likely eligible to buy military tickets.

They emailed Shades of Green to ask about tickets and she said they will send actual tickets, not vouchers, so they'd prefer to order from them so that they don't have to wait in line to activate tickets their first day. But the list of tickets they got had salute tickets and also MYW tickets. There's a significant price difference but they don't see anything describing a difference between the 2 types of tickets.

What's the difference between the 2 types and is there a reason to get one over the other?

Also, the email they got said grandpa needs to pay for the tickets since he is the military sponsor. Does the credit card have to be in his name, or can my friend's family pay for their tickets?

How many days are you going? Salute tix only have a certain number of days attached to them; you can get 4 or 5 (last time I checkeckd; there may be a 6 day option now not sure.) You also have the ability to had the water parks option on them. Generally if you don't need more than 4 or 5 days in the regular parks; you should do salute (grandpa can get himself a salute tix and up to 5 others.) They're a much better deal, but the military member can only get up to 6 each calendar year. We've used salute tickets the last several years. I always purchase them (dh is the one in the military) and I always purchase with my credit card with only my name on it.

Salute tickets are typically the way to go. I think if you get into extended trips (over 6 days in the 4 parks, not including waterparks) then you would have to do the math to see if the MYW tickets would be better. However, I would say 9 times out of 10, Salute tickets for the win.

I don't know with certainty about CC's, you'd have to email SOG.

Thanks! They will have 5 park days, so sounds like they should go with salute.

Since SoG sells activated tickets, does grandpa just bring his ID to the turnstiles? I’m assuming yes since they are activated tickets according to the email they got from SoG but just want to confirm so there aren’t surprises.

I always purchase them (dh is the one in the military) and I always purchase with my credit card with only my name on it.

Spouses can also buy them, so that's why your credit card works.

Thanks! They will have 5 park days, so sounds like they should go with salute.

Since SoG sells activated tickets, does grandpa just bring his ID to the turnstiles? I’m assuming yes since they are activated tickets according to the email they got from SoG but just want to confirm so there aren’t surprises.

He shouldn't need it, but it's always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

The website Military Disney Tips is my primary go-to for all things military discount-related, especially since we've gone from annual trips to every other year or every three years, and I like to stay on top of changes and release dates for things. Just thought I'd throw that in there since I hadn't seen it mentioned here yet. The site also includes info on SoG, as well as a breakdown of rules for military guests that pertain to tickets, Disney resort discounts, and how to purchase Memory Maker (I didn't even realize we got a discount on that until our last trip in 2018 - I wish I had known about that in years past!).

There are actually 3 tickets you can get from SoG
Salute- best deal, limited to six
Stars and Stripes length of stay - next best deal
MYW - good deal but not like the others
besides cost, Salute CAN include hopper/plus and mini golf
Length includes automatically hopper/plus but NOT golf
MYW are as “normal”
here are prices as on 12/19 to give an equal example...
Salute 6 day hopper plus $351
Length of stay 6 hopper plus $472.25 (NO golf)
MYA 6 day hopper plus $520

now why do I point this out, because Grandpa can buy tix for you too and go over the 6 total in combination if need be.
the other thing I would suggest is not to wait too long to order. They will have to fill out a form which includes retire date and ID number the. SoG can be slow to respond. Took us over 2 month from time of submitting order till tix were in hand.

the credit card info you put on the form too and then they call you to confirm everything is accurate and charge the card at that point.
it has to be grandpa/ma

Last edited:
now why do I point this out, because Grandpa can buy tix for you too and go over the 6 total in combination if need be.

Not sure what you mean by this.

If Grandpa is the only eligible military member, then they can only get 6 total.

Reactions: cm8
You go to any guest services (even Disney Springs) to activate them. But you can even add the vouchers to MDE before you go and make fastpasses. You don't need actual tickets to do this, just the numbers on the vouchers.

Not true. You can only go over the 6 if the nuclear family is over 6. So grandpa, grandma, and more than 4 children. In-laws and grandchildren do not count toward the total of 6.

You go to any guest services (even Disney Springs) to activate them. But you can even add the vouchers to MDE before you go and make fastpasses. You don't need actual tickets to do this, just the numbers on the vouchers.

SoG tickets are already activated. You don't have to do anything to them except add to MDE. Tickets bought at any post, base, station or Disney DO have to be activated.

Grandpa can buy 6 Salute tickets AND as many of the MYW/Stars and Stripes as he’d like.
Don’t forget that the stars and stripes can only be purchased and use if you are staying on property at any wdw resort or shades of green only!

Not sure what you mean by this.

If Grandpa is the only eligible military member, then they can only get 6 total.
grandpa can buy tix for everyone but the max “Salute” is 6
Not true. You can only go over the 6 if the nuclear family is over 6. So grandpa, grandma, and more than 4 children. In-laws and grandchildren do not count toward the total of 6.

SoG tickets are already activated. You don't have to do anything to them except add to MDE. Tickets bought at any post, base, station or Disney DO have to be activated.
6 “Salute”, yes
others unlimited
Grandpa can buy 6 Salute tickets AND as many of the MYW/Stars and Stripes as he’d like.
exactly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter