Difference between a Value and a Moderate

madjohn

Mouseketeer
I have never stayed at a DW resort but have been to DW 4 times. I understand the rooms are different but what is the differences in the resorts and surrounding area. I ask because the rooms don't mean much to DW and me. It is a place to sleep, bathe and store our stuff. (we are in our 50's and will be traveling with no kids) We will be out and about. Also will throw in that we are not really pool people. We are planning a 2 week visit and at most we will spend only a few hours at a pool. (more to check it out and say we did it.)

Thanks

John

Moderates have nicer grounds, not so much "in your face" Disney theming, usually bigger beds (queens vs fulls but alot of Values have been upgraded to queen beds). Moderates can also have a table service restaurant, not just the food court. Large groups (think cheerleaders, baseball etc) tend to stay at values so they can also be pretty noisy and chaotic.
Pop Century is my favorite "Value", especially a preferred building. A bit quieter than the AllStars IMO.
Loved Coronado Springs for "moderate" category, has elements of deluxe as well. Yes it can be spread out but I didn't find it bad at all. I've not stayed at POFQ but folks who have just love the compactness and beautiful grounds. Personally for that length of time I'd go for a moderate.

Moderate bus stops also have seating and shelter. Value resorts have chain lines, where you stand and wait out in the sun/rain for a bus.

Even if you don't want to be in the pool, the moderate quiet pools (most moderates have more than 1 pool) are a great place to sit and read, or play cards. and they tend to be lass rowdy than those at the value resorts.

When our family goes to WDW we tend to be in the parks all day long, so the hotel is like you said a place to sleep and bathe, etc. That said, I've always appreciated coming home to the quiet and relaxing atmosphere at Coronado after a long park day. The grounds are so peaceful to me. That, to me, is what makes it a cut above a value. Though I've happily stayed at ASM several times to save money, and never had a bad time.

The grounds - icon theming (values) vs landscaping to theme (mods)
Restaurants - no table service at values.
Bus service - many of the mods have multiple stops; values tend to have one, which I like because I have found helps manage crowds; It also seems like the value bus stops at the parks are furthest from the park exit - does it seem like that to others? The exception seemed to be AK for AoA bus stop.
Sinks - values have one, mods have two.
Atmosphere - as another poster mentioned, there doesn't seem to be a place to sit and relax at the values, inside or outside.
Pool - values don't have hot tubs or slides.

Pop now has queen beds in the newly refurbished rooms, which look a little more upscale.

I would pick Pop and request an upper floor over looking the lake (quieter), but with two weeks, why don't you try a split stay and see which ones you prefer?

Hard to believe now,but for most of their existence,the Values:

Did not have a Fridge
Did not have Pool Towels
ONLY had Pizza available for Room Delivery
Had Shower Wall dispensers for Soap/Shampoo(not like the new ones with bottles,but were the really gross ones with "bags")
Had little wall-mounted Hair Dryers instead of full-size dryers

The Values have definitely been plussed a lot "recently"with more in process as coffeemakers,huge TVs,etc. are already at Pop Century and All-Star Movies and eventually will be at all Values.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter