Didn't take long for WDW to gouge, I mean, increase the resort parking fees

Like most Resorts? Like the Swan and Dolphin for years?

When Disney Resorts become "most resorts" by charging the same fees and reducing the theming elements in the rooms as they have done at some resorts it will be interesting to see the effect. The driver who took us to our resort said many locals are investing in properties to use as Airbnbs. It got me thinking about young adults and the preferences of that generation. Airbnbs are often the first place they look for lodging. Airbnbs, Uber, and Amazon grocery delivery, oh my!

However many guests drive to Disney and then use Disney Transportation - not using their cars for their entire stay. Based on your theory of Disney trying to cut down on the amount of cars being driven on property, Disney should charge on site guests for parking at the Parks not their resort.

But they’re still driving on Disney property and taking up a parking spot. It doesn’t affect me personally unless they start charging DVC for parking.

Getting rich wasn't Walt's vision. His vision was to build a "playground" where parents didn't watch their kids play, but have families play together. Making a profit is fine, but remember "it all started with a mouse". His words that I remember most. "If you can dream it, you can do it". I wonder how many families are there that "are dreaming" of a vacation t o the world, but no longer "can do it". There is no reason for executives to earn so much in bonuses! These prices have risen so drastically, and quickly. Another thin g, even after the increases, it's followed with a reminder "prices are subject to change at any time". Don't believe I've ever seen a decrease in the prices!!!!

Walt built a business, after going bankrupt, and all businesses goal is to make money no mater what the original “vision” was. As long as millions of people keep visiting the parks Disney will continue increases in pricing across the board.

I haven't been back to WDW since 2012. Before that I was a regular attender since 1978. At least every other year but at one point it was almost monthly. Perk of growing up in Central Florida. In 2012 I realized that I had Disney fatigue and that trip was just meh. It didn't help that they were messing with the fast passes preparing for fast pass plus so the lines were awful even with fast pass.

I remember park admission being pretty reasonable but the hotels were not as much. I managed to pay for my mom and me to go one day with two weeks of babysitting money. (I wanted to go, she didn't. Thought making me pay would change my mind.)

That said, I finally started feeling the itch to take a family trip and priced one and Oh My! It costs the more for our now family of three to go than it did for our family of five ten years ago. (Same resort, downgraded view) Lost the itch right then and there. That is without adding parking. Off-site is looking better and better.

Disney can do what it wants to do and some people will continue to go. While I CAN afford to go, I don't know that I WANT to afford it. There are other just as amazing vacations out there.

All that said, I am going next month. A girls trip and my friend has DVC so I will get to scratch the itch to last for a little while longer without having to pay a small fortune.
Exactly ! I can afford it technically but I now choose to go on vacations where I get more bang for my buck .. and enjoy my trip without 2 hour lines and grouchy people .

If you look at the big picture, not that Disney is gouging, what they’re trying to do is cut down the use of personal and rented cars to minimize the ever growing traffic on the property. They want people using Magical Express and the on-site transportation system. The parking charge is basically Disney’s way of telling you they don’t want you driving on property. It’s most likely the reason too that Magical Express is still free.

This makes sense. :-) Although, I doubt it's the only reason! <pots of gold emoji>

If it were just about reducing traffic and pollution, I would have thought they'd also charge visitors parking at resorts for a few hours and encourage them to use WDW transport instead.

The parking price hike sucks, but if I'm being totally honest, I don't want to be behind the wheel for any amount of time when I go to Disney. I know this is a very privileged thing to say since we can afford airline tickets and ubers, but from when I get out of my car at the airport to unlocking my car when I finally get back home, ideally I should only be seeing other people control steering wheels. Again, a VERY privileged position to take, I am aware, and the price gouging is atrocious.

Walt never saw his park as a way to make him rich, but only a means to achieve his dreams. You look at his life and he risked everything to just push forward what he believed, he was a true forward thinker. This was true of every animation project he undertook that drove him to the brink of bankruptcy multiple times. Disneyland was never built to line his pockets, it was built to prove he could build his vision. If he would haven't died so young and had the chance to develop his vision of Epcot he probably would have of bankrupt the company. The success he experienced with Disneyland was amazing though and he deserved more than what it afforded him as he created something that would infect the world for decades to come.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
"I'd say it's been my biggest problem all my life... it's money. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true."

I think the biggest thing people are complaining about is we see cost increases but not visible added value and thought it was wonderful just the way it has been :).

Haven't been since parking for resorts started.

Can I assume that if we pay for parking at a resort and drive to the parks, we don't have to pay for parking at the park too? Ugh to the idea of paying parking at all but want to make sure we aren't being doubly charged now.

Thank you that was my assumption. We are trying to figure out whether we want to keep our value resort or upgrade to moderate and are trying to price things assuming we don't get a special offer before our 2020 vacation.

Except one of those is a very short term experience hotel not for actually housing people and likely for guests who won't go to the parks during their stay.

The others are DVC resorts which are completely separate from the Parks/Hotel cycle. It's a different group deciding those expansions if I am not mistaken.

I'm sure that going to the parks, especially Galaxy's Edge will be a part of the stay at the Star Wars Hotel. Disney will have a shuttle that will take guests directly into a special entrance at GE just for them.

As far as the DVC resorts, those folks still go to the parks, right? Those DVC resorts were built to facilitate having MORE people go to Disney Parks. DVC owners and guests who do not own, but book a vacation there, are encouraged to go to the parks.

I'm not understanding your logic with this.

~NM

As far as the DVC resorts, those folks still go to the parks, right? Those DVC resorts were built to facilitate having MORE people go to Disney Parks. DVC owners and guests who do not own, but book a vacation there, are encouraged to go to the parks.

I'm not understanding your logic with this.

What's not to understand? The DVC talking heads and the Parks talking heads are different people, with different responsibilities, and different bonus goals. When Park leaders are trying to figure out how to deal with crowds they are coming up with a plan to change what they have control on. At the same time DVC is trying to have a continual inventory of new resorts and various offerings for potential new/existing members.

DVC's job is simply to build a villa, sell it, build another, sell it, and so on.

I'm sure that going to the parks, especially Galaxy's Edge will be a part of the stay at the Star Wars Hotel. Disney will have a shuttle that will take guests directly into a special entrance at GE just for them.

As for the Star Wars hotel that 100% will remove people from parks. You are not going to be spending $1000-$2000+ a night just to go to the parks. While there will be interaction with GE the whole point of the hotel is going to be a 2 day fully immersed living story. People will not be going to MK, Epcot, AK, or the rest of HS during that stay. Hence this will remove some guests (although a tiny number) from park going as well as its not adding hotel room inventory that Disney is trying to fill (which is what you were trying to say it seemed).

If you look at the big picture, not that Disney is gouging, what they’re trying to do is cut down the use of personal and rented cars to minimize the ever growing traffic on the property. They want people using Magical Express and the on-site transportation system. The parking charge is basically Disney’s way of telling you they don’t want you driving on property. It’s most likely the reason too that Magical Express is still free.
They don’t want you to have a car to eat off property or visit nonWDW attractions is more like it.

The same holds true for Disney cruises. We had taken 3 of them when the cost were reasonable. Now they are insane but they continue to sell out their cruises.

Haven't been on a DCL cruise in about 10 years unfortunately.

NGTOD

The cost of a Disney cruise is truly laughable. We went on one back in 2016, for what I felt was an “ok” price, but the rates have jumped to astronomical heights since then. I can literally take 2-3 cruises for the price of one on other lines (and I’m referring to other cruise line’s new builds).

What's not to understand? The DVC talking heads and the Parks talking heads are different people, with different responsibilities, and different bonus goals. When Park leaders are trying to figure out how to deal with crowds they are coming up with a plan to change what they have control on. At the same time DVC is trying to have a continual inventory of new resorts and various offerings for potential new/existing members.

DVC's job is simply to build a villa, sell it, build another, sell it, and so on.

As for the Star Wars hotel that 100% will remove people from parks. You are not going to be spending $1000-$2000+ a night just to go to the parks. While there will be interaction with GE the whole point of the hotel is going to be a 2 day fully immersed living story. People will not be going to MK, Epcot, AK, or the rest of HS during that stay. Hence this will remove some guests (although a tiny number) from park going as well as its not adding hotel room inventory that Disney is trying to fill (which is what you were trying to say it seemed).

DVC construction contributes to more people in the parks. Always has, always will.
As for the Star Wars hotel, why is Disney offering shuttle service to the parks if guests are not going to go?

~NM

DVC construction contributes to more people in the parks. Always has, always will.
As for the Star Wars hotel, why is Disney offering shuttle service to the parks if guests are not going to go?

When did I say DVC resorts didn't mean more people in the parks? My point is DVC leadership does not care about park capacity or attendance.

As far as Star Wars yes it has a special GE enterance likely and at the same time why wouldn't it have transportation throughout WDW? The whole concept of the hotel is a multi-day immersive star wars adventure experience. It's a whole new hotel category. How is being at Magic Kingdom from 9am to 9pm immersive for Star Wars? How is going to eat at California Grill a Star Wars immersive experience? If you are limited to 2 or 3 days of a 7 day vacation at Star Wars Hotel and you are huge Star Wars fan why would you spend those days at Epcot?

The star wars hotel is not just another hotel because there is a rumor it will only have like 60ish rooms which means it's going to be almost impossible to book.

To add about

Here is the orignal announcement:

Star Wars Hotel’s original announcement, Bob Chapek shared that “from the second you arrive, you will become a part of a Star Wars story! You’ll immediately become a citizen of the galaxy and experience all that entails, including dressing up in the proper attire. Once you leave Earth, you will discover a starship alive with characters, stories, and adventures that unfold all around you. It is 100% immersive, and the story will touch every single minute of your day, and it will culminate in a unique journey for every person who visits.”

That doesn't sound like a random day at Animal Kingdom is in store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter