Did your parents dress you in a cheap or expensive clothes growing up?

my parents budgeted as well but i recall some hard and fast rules on certain clothing purchases-

1. never cheap out on shoes for young growing feet-get sturdy and reliable shoes (and we were expected to keep them in good shape to last till we outgrew them),

2. men's/boy's underwear-not sure of the brand but it was always purchased at j.c. penny b/c of it's durability (waistbands apparently didn't stretch out),

3. men's/boy's jeans-levi brand for durability, and always purchased at the army/navy store for better pricing,

80's kid. My Mom worked at Sears, in the children's department and later the catalog department. So she kept a good eye on returns and clearance. So I had nice clothes, but they were acquired cheaply. As a teen, she was not going to fund purchases at the high end trendy stores. I had my Swatch, I had an Esprit bag, I had one or two other trendy things otherwise it was mostly department store stuff. I had to buy my first pair of Keds as an adult.

My dad was in management at a department store, so our school clothes were pretty much all bought with the employee discount. It was quality stuff, but not really designer or “trendy”. If I wanted anything other than that I had to use my own money.

Another 80s kid, graduated in early 90s. My sister and I always had trendy clothes. Forenza, Outback Red, Express, Esprit, etc. However, it wasn't overboard and I think many of my friends were more spoiled than we were.

As an adult and for my DD, we just wear what we like and don't pay a lot. Who cares if my jeans were 10 bucks?! Lol

I had a single mother. She worked hard for what she earned. She made a lot of my clothes when I was younger. Of course when I got to high school, things changed, and I had to have store bought ones, lol. Not designer or trendy, but at least I blended in with the other kids.

80s girl. I loved Calvin Klein,Chardone, Jordache, Swatch, Benneton, Cacherel, Esprit and Gloria Vanderbilt and THE LIMITED! I would say I dressed high end as a teeen. As a small child I was run of the mill wardrobe but once I hit 7th grade I discovered fashion!

Not expensive, but good quality.

I was the youngest of four girls so I got all the hand me downs.
By the time I inherited the clothing it was still in good condition, but mostly out of fashion. Lol.

I never dressed in anything fancy as a kid. But I went to a private school with uniforms, so that's what I wore to school each day. I think the nicest thing I had was a classic Derby jacket, but that was purchased on sale. Later on I went to public schools and I always thought my clothes were a little bit odd. However, I wore traditional stuff like shrink to fit 501s back when they were still American made.

Well, the quote under my senior picture in the high school yearbook in 1985 was "I got it at Kmart." I am not making that up.

We had nearly nothing growing up. My grandmother on my Dad's side bought a lot of our clothes, which came from Kmart, Jamesway, or Ames. Did I want to be in fashion and have all the "in" clothes and fit in? Yes, I did. But I got that we struggled so I tried not to beg or complain. When I got my first job, the extra money went back into the family coffers. Just how it was.

Both. My mom had a sewing machine and used it. When she shopped for me it was both at K-Mart as well as more high end stores. My school clothes were nicer and expected to last. When I came home from school I changed into my K-Mart "play clothes."

80s girl. I loved Calvin Klein,Chardone, Jordache, Swatch, Benneton, Cacherel, Esprit and Gloria Vanderbilt and THE LIMITED! I would say I dressed high end as a teeen. As a small child I was run of the mill wardrobe but once I hit 7th grade I discovered fashion!
Those were all the stores I liked in late middle school and high school. I wore Catholic school uniforms from 6th through 12th grade, so I didn’t have or need lots of other clothes. We got our fun clothes at Christmas and our birthdays and then bought other items we wanted with our babysitting or gift money. My sister and I were the same size so we could share, which doubled our wardrobe. When I was really little, my mom made lots of our clothes.

When I was in college, one of my freshman friends got a whole new wardrobe twice a year - in Spring and in Fall. I remember being so shocked by that!

I was too young to know actually.
^^This. I grew up in a remote rural location and as a small child in the 70's, options for shopping weren't really a thing. Practically everything I owned came out of the Sears catalogue - same for all the other kids in my area. It was actually exciting on the first day of school to see if any other girl had exactly the same shirt or shoes as you. If they did, you knew you were "on fleek". :rotfl2:

Grew up in second hand and homemade. I didn't really care, it was fun to go to a garage sale and find stuff. I was a little jealous when my sister would get bags full from our better off cousins. I was 6 years younger so they didn't save those things for me. She actually got married in a wedding dress and veil borrowed from those cousins.

When I was the last kid in the house, through junior high and high school, my mom had her RN and was making more money so I had some store bought stuff. She also let me blow my first paycheck at Maurices which was fun. But thrift shopping was great since you could get so much more. Once we ran into a classmate at the thrift and my mom asked if I was embarrassed. I said no, she was there shopping too.

With 8 kids and a stay at home mom we didn't get name brand clothes or shoes. Birthdays and Christmas were restock times. I remember one of brothers wanted a pair of Converse shoes forever. I think he finally got the cheapest ones for his birthday We never went with out and got new clothes but but at K-Mart, or stores like that. When we got older if we wanted certain brands we had to work and pay for them. . With the exception of shoes most of us grew up to be the same way.

Definitely cheap! My dad wouldn't even allow us to buy name brand soda. Designer/name brand clothing was out of the question.

Most my childhood clothes came from Kmart, Wal-Mart and garage sales. Store's like Sears and JC Penny's was only for special occasions like Christmas dresses.

One year I needed a new dress for Easter I think. My parents took me to Sam's Club to pick out a dress. They must have been having a sale or we had a coupon or something. My dad was insistent that I had to get my new dress there. The problem was that the selection of dresses was very small and all the dresses were UGLY!

All I can say is I was never sent out naked. I have no idea what my clothing was labeled, back when I was a kid there was just clothing no branded significance.

Now my kids came into the world when money was tight and it stayed that way for a long time. My wife made most of my girls clothing. One was two year younger and she got a lot of hand me downs. Designer labels weren't big then either and they were never bothered by the homemade stuff. When they had class pictures taken my oldest was wearing the same outfit two years in a row. My oldest still has no concern about fashion, my younger one (the one that got the hand me downs) seems to be far more tuned into fashion but it is still nice but basic. No big labels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter