Did your college student study abroad?

My college freshman wants to go for a 6 week study in a country in Eastern Europe this summer. I'm freaking out and super nervous. She'll be 19. Anyone have their college student do a study abroad trip or go overseas alone for any length of time?
I did a year study in Madrid when I was 21. My young cousin did a 6-week in Europe pretty recently. If your child has an opportunity to go then I think it would be a wonderful learning experience.

DD spent her junior year in Italy. It was already built into her program and was a major reason in her choice to attend the college.

I had no qualms about her going, knowing that she would be with other classmates from her school and that she would be at a college there with similar students from several other college from the states.

She traveled so much while there and mature by leaps and bounds (she is an only child and a bit sheltered before going 🤣).

FWIW, Kyrgyzstan was part of the former USSR. So not exactly an Asian country. I would look into whether there is some possibility of Ukraine like situation.

I would contact the school and see why the plan is to go to Kyrgyzstan. Bring up the State Dept. info and see what they say. An organized group trip, if my daughter was the sensible type, would alleviate most of my concerns.

One of my daughters did study in Germany and traveled a lot through college and grad school. The only place that concerned us was Columbia, as the state dept info had some warnings. In the end the kids were fine and had a marvelous experience.

My DD studied abroad for 6 weeks in Ireland when she had just turned 19 in 2018, right after her freshman year in college. She loved it! I was extremely nervous about it! She didn't know anyone else that was going and I thought she would be lonely and get there and want to come home. It all went well and she really enjoyed it and met some new friends that she still has to this day. She really wanted to do more study abroad trips, but Covid hit and now she has graduated.

She won't be alone, I'm sure there are many other students going. She'll probably have a roommate and they do everything together mostly as a group. Like others have said, I would check into the country and see what the travel warnings are and then decide if she should go.

Last edited:

My oldest daughter did England for 3 weeks in the summer of 2019. It was an incredible experience for her. So glad we pushed her to go. Her college offers a 1500 scholarship for all students who want to study abroad so it cost us 1500 for her to go. Best money we have spent. My youngest was set to go to Ireland for her geology field work but Covid. Instead she spent 3 weeks in the Mojave Desert this past summer - not the same. She is actually looking at graduate school in Ireland, England and Scotland as something she might want to do. My youngest plays football at the Division 1 level so that does not leave a lot of flexibility but I am hoping that he will be able to take a short overseas experience.

DD21 went to Ireland with a group for 12 days this past May. My biggest concern was her passing her Covid test to return to the US. But I would be more worried about the location your daughter is looking at. Are there other options? Any specific reason for that country?

I did a summer semester in England my Junior year - it was the BEST experience (and looked good on my resume when I was starting out :)). I highly encourage everyone to do a semester abroad if possible, it was such an amazing experience and there was a noticeable difference in the way classes were instructed.

Two of mine did - my one son did a semester in London his second semester of Junior Year in college.
The other son did a 6 week session at the Sorbonne in Paris the summer between Junior and Senior year of college.

My DD studied for a semester in Florence when she was 21 and she traveled for 2 weeks through France, Amsterdam, Switzerland and Germany when she was going into her Junior year of HS. These experiences made her grow more as an adult than just being away at college. She went to Italy 10 days early, via Barcelona, since her BFF was studying there for a year.

Are there options for her outside of Kyrgyzstan? My DD and I have been putting off a trip to Poland since Covid hit. This was supposed to be the year we were going to go, but we didn't want to be there if anything else erupted in the Ukraine battle with Russia.

I was to Russia in 2001 and I found the people to be warm and inviting... even though they don't smile much. I would love to go back, but not in today's environment.

FWIW, Kyrgyzstan was part of the former USSR. So not exactly an Asian country. I would look into whether there is some possibility of Ukraine like situation.

I would contact the school and see why the plan is to go to Kyrgyzstan. Bring up the State Dept. info and see what they say. An organized group trip, if my daughter was the sensible type, would alleviate most of my concerns.

One of my daughters did study in Germany and traveled a lot through college and grad school. The only place that concerned us was Columbia, as the state dept info had some warnings. In the end the kids were fine and had a marvelous experience.
Yeah, my oldest spent a month working in Colombia as part of her MBA program and I was a bit concerned since there were only a few other students where she was, (I think the whole MBA class had to work at a foreign start-up so they were all over the place), but she was 28 at the time so a bit more mature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter