Did you see the temporary closures starting Jan 10, 2016?

Do you think the ROA will really be boarded up for this? The article didn't state that, right? I was hoping they just wouldn't be using the ROA for ships and Fantasmic but would still be filled with water and visible. Also, do you think this construction building SWL will effect the monorail as well??

I imagine it will be, because they most likely have to drain the Rivers of America I hope they what they did in California Adventure when they drained the Lagoon for World of Color construction they created little peepholes for people to look through and take pictures. Disney doesn't want us to see their dust and mess they make during construction because they think it detracts from the happiness but really we are all interested in seeing the construction and it gets the guests excited for what is coming next.

Does Fantasmic run al year round now? I remember it didn't always do that but with this announced closure and them including Fantasmic on the list I wondering. (Though yes I know they put it on the list because the closure will be for over a year) But they sad January 10, 2016 will be the last day to see Fantasmic and I didn't think Fantasmic an in January.

Yes, F! runs year around though just on weekends during nonpeak times.

I agree in that I wish they really could have finagled SWL into DCA. That seems like an appropriate place for it. Or, re-do parts of Tomorrow Land incorporating Star Wars since Star Tours is already there.

while i think it's neat that star wars land is a thing... i'm bummed that thunder ranch is getting the ax(as opposed to the nearly vacant concrete oven that is toontown) and that so many of the quieter attractions will be closed for so long. i guess they will be draining the river, otherwise F! being so far away would otherwise not be affected. that's going to be a whole lotta boarded off area to look at. i'm glad i'm going next week. we're skipping wdw because of all the construction and now DL is going to be a hot mess too.

It makes me wonder where in the world they are building Star Wars Land (because that is what these closures are for)

Disney officially said it would incorporate the ranch area and some backstage areas. Exactly what land makes up the entire 14 acres has not been revealed. They did say that Toon Town would remain.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disneyland-684495-wars-officials.html
this media outlet is reporting that the Big Thunder Ranch, Jamboree, and Petting Area is closing PERMENANTLY on January 10, 2016 (but not everyone is reporting that closure so is it a rumor?)

This was already known as CM had been told the restaurant would close permanently on January 10, but was reaffirmed in yesterday's blog post along with the previously mentioned temporary closures. At least they're getting on with the work and not waiting another year before getting busy.

Do you think the ROA will really be boarded up for this? The article didn't state that, right? I was hoping they just wouldn't be using the ROA for ships and Fantasmic but would still be filled with water and visible. Also, do you think this construction building SWL will effect the monorail as well??

They may not be boarded up, depends on what they're doing, but I would think they would at least have to partially drain it. One rumor suggests they're creating an entrance from Critter Country to Star Wars land. No one knows if that's true, but I don't see why else they would need to close the rivers. I hope they figure out how to use FP and crowd control better for Fantasmic while it's closed for a year or so.

It makes me wonder where in the world they are building Star Wars Land (because that is what these closures are for)

It scares the heck out of me to think theyre closing down TSI and perhaps re-theming it to SW.
Imagine looking across the ROA to see that atrocity.
I also wonder if they'll start tearing up Autopia and Toon Town at the same time. That would result in a huge part of the park being unusable and behind construction walls for many months. It would get stupid congested.
It would also be way too much SWL for me. I don't want to be reminded of it everyplace I go in the park like frozen is starting to do.

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney

DisneyLand has already changed a lot since my first visit, 30 years ago. It had changed a lot from when my dad went there as a kid. Change at DisneyLand is nothing new. The magic is still there and it won't go away. It will continue to be a fun place to enjoy with the kids and as an adult. I'm not worried about that ever changing. :)

I completely agree, and usually am very happy with the new additions. ::yes::

Star Wars Land, if done the way of CarsLand, will be a great new land to visit. I have heard many people state that they aren't Cars fans but are blown away by CarsLand and all the attention to detail. I suspect the same will hold true for SWL. I enjoy the movies but am not a die hard fan ~ there are a few members of my family who are Star Wars obsessed so I imagine we will be spending quite some time there in the future and I have no doubt that I will enjoy every minute of it.

I do have a concern about the traffic flow to the area :eek:

DL has to work, for the most part, within the confines of the layout from 60 years ago where I don't think enyone ever imagined a day of 75,000 guests. CA, and other newer parks, have much better layouts and wider "streets" for the majority of traffic to accomodate the larger crowds of today as well as the parades and other entertainment being offered.

I love Walt's Philosophy that DL will never be complete, I am just sad about the loss of the ranch. :(

as I posted elsewhere, I think ROA is just a staging area for the materials and construction vehicles...and the train tracks have to be supported.....so water is removed and all valuable assets protected during construction

I also wonder if they'll start tearing up Autopia and Toon Town at the same time. That would result in a huge part of the park being unusable and behind construction walls for many months. It would get stupid congested..

Hi, sorry but why you are wondering this? Has Disney hinted at projects in these areas (if not, reason #1 I don't put much into such rumors.) If there's a credible source on this though I would love to read them if you'd wouldn't mind citing. But yes it would be stupid conjested (reason #2) plus I can't see Disney laying out the cash for these projects concurrently with the massive expenditure that will be SWL (reason #3.)

IF, the foot traffic is just through Frontierland, the land many people use to get AROUND Adventureland traffic........ it just adds insult to injury, IMHO!
SWL, needs its Own entrance and exit...

--Lori

Well, this is disappointing news. I wanted to see Fantasmic! for the first time and go over to Tom Sawyer's Island for the first time on our next visit. No worry, though, there are plenty of other things to see and do, I'll just have to change up our plans a bit. Maybe I'll do the WOC dining package instead. Probably more bummed about the RR than anything. We love the railroad!

I also hope they don't "board up" the ROA. That would be pretty darn ugly to look at and I don't even care about SWL in the first place.

The blog post specified tom sawyers pirates lair will be closed, but with the rivers drained how would you get out to the rest of the island I wonder?

The entrance is going to be where Big Thunder Ranch and the Petting Zoo are now (which will both close permanently). The land will probably extend north, beyond the railroad tracks (hence the temporary closure for the Disneyland Railroad), and to the west of Toontown, possibly wrapping around Toontown to the north, depending on how many operations/office buildings they can relocate in that area.

I don't know but its worth a try to see. I know I would be sad if I had Ap's for next year. Glade I didn't try anything like that. I had thought about it.

From the OC Register:
Disneyland officials said work is expected to take a year, but did not set a date for when these attractions will return to action.

Also, on the other thread about this someone said that Erin on the blog said the work would take at least a year.

I'm so glad the canoes are coming back. :) I wouldn't have been surprised if they had cut them. It's not something we do even regularly but still adds to DL's uniqueness.

Hi, sorry but why you are wondering this? Has Disney hinted at projects in these areas (if not, reason #1 I don't put much into such rumors.) If there's a credible source on this though I would love to read them if you'd wouldn't mind citing. But yes it would be stupid conjested (reason #2) plus I can't see Disney laying out the cash for these projects concurrently with the massive expenditure that will be SWL (reason #3.)

It was discussed here some time back. I'm sorry but I don't remember the sources or who posted it but it was just a conversation like this one. I don't know if it's a sure thing but much of it makes sense. Autopia takes up a huge amount of room and has not been kept up as well as all the other attractions in the area leading one to guess at it's future. They could utilize the Sub area too (which some believe is very expensive to run) and end up with a huge area in Tomorroland (where I feel it belongs)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter