Did you get value out of the refillable mug that's included with the dining plan?

christhegreat

Earning My Ears
I see that a refillable mug is included with the dining plans - did you find you got value out of that? I see it sold separately for ~$20.

There is plenty of discussion about the resort refillable mugs elsewhere, but yes, we do buy them and feel we get our money’s worth out of them with multiple soda refills each day. We no longer buy the DDP, but still love our mugs. They will work at other resorts as well if you choose to carry them with you.

At $4 a bottle for drinks, it doesn't take long to come out ahead on the mug. I'm planning to buy one for my upcoming trip even without the DDP.

Be aware that the mugs do not work at the parks and they will not fill mugs with soda at quick service restaurants, even if you paid for the soda.

If you plan on spending a decent time at your resort, then I would say yeah they're worth it. If you're a park open to close person the entirety of your trip, then maybe not.

We find it worth us when getting it with the DDP but only purchase one for the family when we don't have the DDP. Time of year also factors in.

Winter trips we use the mugs for coffee, hot chocolate and soda.

Summer trips we drink a lot of water so don't really 'need' the mug.

We would never buy them out of pocket, we use them mostly for coffee.

I do enjoy having them at home after our trip though.

Be aware that the mugs do not work at the parks and they will not fill mugs with soda at quick service restaurants, even if you paid for the soda

But would they refill those mugs with ice water at the QS in the parks?

Last couple trips we did for sure. Last year's trip we were in Wilderness Lodge and we had to go by Roaring Forks whenever we went anywhere. The trip before back in 2018 we were in the Grand Floridian in Sago Key where we had to go by Gasparilla Island Grill whenever we went anywhere.

Our family finds them to generally be a great value for us. We've gotten them every time we've been to Disney (I have a huge Rubbermaid bin in the basement full of them. We have 5 kids, so we've accumulated a lot of mugs over 9 trips.) We usually eat lunch at the QS restaurant at the resort on arrival day and we usually eat at least 2 or 3 more meals there during the week. That alone makes them worth the purchase price for us. We also typically refill them at least twice a day. I take a Thirty One Gifts Double Duty Caddy with us on every trip and we can fit 6 mugs in that carrier. That way only one person has to walk down to the refill station and can fill all of the mugs for everyone. I will say that we've only stayed at Value Resorts (ASMo, Pop, and AoA suites) over the last 20 years so we've usually had a relatively short walk to the refill stations. For one of our stays at Pop Century, our rooms were pretty far away from the main building and it rained all week. It wasn't fun to run back to the food court to refill the mugs that trip. I ended up putting them in a locker by the main pool every morning when we left (I think it cost me $1 to rent the locker) and then I'd just get them out when we got back from the parks and we'd refill them before heading back to the room. Our one son stayed at Boardwalk a few years ago. There was a huge line for check-in at the front desk when they arrived, so they had lunch before checking in. Out of habit, they purchased mugs at lunch. Then they found out where their room was and it was such a long walk from the refill stations that they ended up only using them two other times that week and they really only did that to try and break even on the cost. They didn't make that mistake when they stayed at AKL last trip. And they were very thankful they didn't because once again, their room was so far from the refill stations that they never would have used them. Just something to keep in mind depending on which resort you're staying at.

Last edited:
We find them to be a great help now that Disney has switched to paper straws and cups with no lids. It is much easier with the littles to pour their water and quick service meal drinks into the covered mugs than clean up the spills 🫗. Just place a napkin into the mug and snap the lid on when done drinking their beverage, then toss it into the backpack.

Last couple trips we did for sure. Last year's trip we were in Wilderness Lodge and we had to go by Roaring Forks whenever we went anywhere. The trip before back in 2018 we were in the Grand Floridian in Sago Key where we had to go by Gasparilla Island Grill whenever we went anywhere.
Do you recall if Wilderness Lodge has the Freestyle Coke machine?
Thanks

Last edited:
Our family finds them to generally be a great value for us. We've gotten them every time we've been to Disney (I have a huge Rubbermaid bin in the basement full of them. We have 5 kids, so we've accumulated a lot of mugs over 9 trips.) We usually eat lunch at the QS restaurant at the resort on arrival day and we usually eat at least 2 or 3 more meals there during the week. That alone makes them worth the purchase price for us. We also typically refill them at least twice a day. I take a Thirty One Gifts Double Duty Caddy with us on every trip and we can fit 6 mugs in that carrier. That way only one person has to walk down to the refill station and can fill all of the mugs for everyone. I will say that we've only stayed at Value Resorts (ASMo, Pop, and AoA suites) over the last 20 years so we've usually had a relatively short walk to the refill stations. For one of our stays at Pop Century, our rooms were pretty far away from the main building and it rained all week. It wasn't fun to run back to the food court to refill the mugs that trip. I ended up putting them in a locker by the main pool every morning when we left (I think it cost me $1 to rent the locker) and then I'd just get them out when we got back from the parks and we'd refill them before heading back to the room. Our one son stayed Boardwalk a few years ago. There was a huge line for check-in at the front desk when they arrived, so they had lunch before checking in. Out of habit, they purchased mugs at lunch. Then they found out where their room was and it was such a long walk from the refill stations that they ended up only using them two other times that week and they really only did that to try and break even on the cost. They didn't make that mistake when they stayed at AKL last trip. And they were very thankful they didn't because once again, their room was so far from the refill stations that they never would have used them. Just something to keep in mind depending on which resort you're staying at.
Very good advice.

For the two of us, we sometime buy one mug. But since we are dvc, we buy soda etc for the room. Depending how far we from a machine, makes a big difference.

Our family finds them to generally be a great value for us. We've gotten them every time we've been to Disney (I have a huge Rubbermaid bin in the basement full of them. We have 5 kids, so we've accumulated a lot of mugs over 9 trips.) We usually eat lunch at the QS restaurant at the resort on arrival day and we usually eat at least 2 or 3 more meals there during the week. That alone makes them worth the purchase price for us. We also typically refill them at least twice a day. I take a Thirty One Gifts Double Duty Caddy with us on every trip and we can fit 6 mugs in that carrier. That way only one person has to walk down to the refill station and can fill all of the mugs for everyone. I will say that we've only stayed at Value Resorts (ASMo, Pop, and AoA suites) over the last 20 years so we've usually had a relatively short walk to the refill stations. For one of our stays at Pop Century, our rooms were pretty far away from the main building and it rained all week. It wasn't fun to run back to the food court to refill the mugs that trip. I ended up putting them in a locker by the main pool every morning when we left (I think it cost me $1 to rent the locker) and then I'd just get them out when we got back from the parks and we'd refill them before heading back to the room. Our one son stayed Boardwalk a few years ago. There was a huge line for check-in at the front desk when they arrived, so they had lunch before checking in. Out of habit, they purchased mugs at lunch. Then they found out where their room was and it was such a long walk from the refill stations that they ended up only using them two other times that week and they really only did that to try and break even on the cost. They didn't make that mistake when they stayed at AKL last trip. And they were very thankful they didn't because once again, their room was so far from the refill stations that they never would have used them. Just something to keep in mind depending on which resort you're staying at.
Thank you for your breakdown - I did not even consider how far we might be from the refill station, excellent point.

We are another family that always seems to be far away from any refill stations, so we end up not using them often. It seemed easier to have a case of soda/water delivered to the room

There is plenty of discussion about the resort refillable mugs elsewhere, but yes, we do buy them and feel we get our money’s worth out of them with multiple soda refills each day. We no longer buy the DDP, but still love our mugs. They will work at other resorts as well if you choose to carry them with you.
we buy them even when we don't have the dining plan. Me and my husband might get 1 or 2 cokes a day, kids love lemonade or vitamin water, and those are over 4$ a piece in the parks so if we get at least 1 "drink" a day it's absolutely worth it.

But would they refill those mugs with ice water at the QS in the parks?
There are a few places around the parks now where you can refill your bottle/mug with water at no cost. As for value, I suppose it depends how long you stay for. Coming from the UK we visit for 2 weeks or more each time, so we definitely get our money's worth. We love to visit other resorts, so always bring our mugs with us. Also, some resorts have two (maybe three) refill stations, but some only have one, and of course as others have said, how far away is it from your room? I enjoy an early morning walk so it wasn't a problem for me to wander over.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/wate...ttle-refill-stations-at-walt-disney-world.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter