• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did the GFV tour yesterday

sonofanarchy

DIS Veteran
I wasn't blown away. Only 1 full bath as opposed to 2 at Kidani and BLT. I prefer the room setup at the older DVC resorts. In any case, we're not going to buy. There's a decent deal at AK, but my big concern has always been what if? First we were told we could simply walk away with no damage to our credit. After insisting on confirmation of this, we found out this was not true. Then they tried selling us on just selling the points if we had to. I looked at the resale market and AKV points are going for about 73 per point. We'd have to be many years in and have a good chunk of the balance paid off not to end up owing Disney a lot of money. So, we learned 2 things. If we were to buy in, resale is the best way to go. And when you factor in financing and dues, it's just too much money for us. We do spend a lot every year renting points, but at the end of the day there is no responsibility other than that trip. In the long run, we will spend more doing it the way we do it, but it's not nearly as much as Disney would make you believe.

We did the tour last weekend with the soul intent of buying a small VGF contract as my GF loved staying at the Grand Florida cash resort. She was not impressed with the VGF model at all (except for the tv in the mirror). She and I both thought the AKV and Aulani models had more character. Of course different strokes for different folks. Not meaning any disrespect to those who loved the VGF models, it just wasn't our cup of tea.

I'll be interested to see the VGF models and the actual VGF interior (lobby/public spaces) once its open. We've never felt comfortable at the GF itself, but maybe VGF will be different.

If you ok with renting I don't think DVC is going to save you much money at all and like you said there is no commitment .

Sound like your gulild was an *** telling you that walking from a loan won't ruin your credit .

If your looking to walk away way sooner then the expiration date that only makes it less valuable .

IMO I think the GF is a bit to fancy for me although I have never been there

I'll be interested to see the VGF models and the actual VGF interior (lobby/public spaces) once its open. We've never felt comfortable at the GF itself, but maybe VGF will be different.

It is hard to describe. The VGF models are nice, but (and this is the hard part to describe), they just seem to lack the ... Warmth of the cash resort room at GF. It probably doesn't make sense but that is how it felt to us. We loved our stay at GF over Memorial Day. The villa models just didn't have that same feel. If we didn't live in Fla we might considering buying Aulani points. We really enjoyed that model and both decided we have to vacation there at least once.

I wasn't blown away. Only 1 full bath as opposed to 2 at Kidani and BLT. I prefer the room setup at the older DVC resorts. In any case, we're not going to buy. There's a decent deal at AK, but my big concern has always been what if? First we were told we could simply walk away with no damage to our credit. After insisting on confirmation of this, we found out this was not true. Then they tried selling us on just selling the points if we had to. I looked at the resale market and AKV points are going for about 73 per point. We'd have to be many years in and have a good chunk of the balance paid off not to end up owing Disney a lot of money. So, we learned 2 things. If we were to buy in, resale is the best way to go. And when you factor in financing and dues, it's just too much money for us. We do spend a lot every year renting points, but at the end of the day there is no responsibility other than that trip. In the long run, we will spend more doing it the way we do it, but it's not nearly as much as Disney would make you believe.

These are great takeaways and I think they're more powerful because you came to these conclusions on your own. The price difference between AKV direct and AKV resale is the number one reason why I recommend against buying AKV direct. Some people listen, some don't. The fact that you are thinking this on your own is fantastic. Good luck with the rest of the process! :)

I love the GF and think the rooms are beautiful. The Villas just didn't have that feel. And it was a bad call not to have the 2nd bathroom. The main thing I took away is that if you pay up front and don't finance DVC can be a good deal. If you finance it simply doesn't make sense. At least from the numbers I ran.

How did you tour the models? Is this something that needs to be prearranged? Call before leaving home or go to the DVC desk? Or is there a place where you can just "drop in" and view model rooms. I'm reluctant to do something formal since we're very unlikely to buy, just looking in case we want to stay there.

It is hard to describe. The VGF models are nice, but (and this is the hard part to describe), they just seem to lack the ... Warmth of the cash resort room at GF. It probably doesn't make sense but that is how it felt to us. We loved our stay at GF over Memorial Day. The villa models just didn't have that same feel. If we didn't live in Fla we might considering buying Aulani points. We really enjoyed that model and both decided we have to vacation there at least once.

I had not posted since everyone LOVED them, but I felt like my I was visiting an elderly relative's home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter