Did prices really increase this much?

I always purchase them direct from Disney too, just not as part of a package. I think that way I retain the value of what I paid for them as a credit. It sounds like with a package, however, you'd get your money back on them right?
Yes, its all refundable up to 30 days and then penalties after that.

I always purchase them direct from Disney too, just not as part of a package. I think that way I retain the value of what I paid for them as a credit. It sounds like with a package, however, you'd get your money back on them right?
As PP mentions, if booked with a package and one needs to cancel, the tickets will cancel as well as the resort reservation with no out-of-pocket expense assuming cancellation before the penalty date.

Tickets purchased separately, whether from WDW or an authorized reseller, must be paid in full at the time of purchase. Some resellers may allow returns/refunds/exchanges for a fee, others do not; WDW generally does not do refunds.

Any ticket that goes fully-unused will carry forward a credit based on the WDW online price at the time the ticket was purchased; that is true whether package tickets or direct from WDW or through an authorized reseller.

We’re DVC so we don’t “pay” for accommodations and our trips each year are still astronomical. Of course we’re a family of 7, but still. Tickets alone approach $5000, and last trip we spent about $6700 on food for 2 weeks (we do one qs and one ts per day plus snacks) plus souvenirs and incidentals (gas to drive down was total about $500 round trip-still cheaper than flying). That was for our most recent trip, year over year we spend a decent amount more and if we didn’t have DVC I’m not sure we’d stay on site. If things get much more expensive we’ll be doing resort only trips and eating in room more and Disney will missing out on a lot of $ from us. Granted we could go on a shorter trip or eat out less, but we don’t like to vacation like that. Disney inflation outpaces everyone else and it’s getting ridiculous
I also own DVC and even not having to "pay" for our accommodations it's crazy expensive. I just figured out how much it's going to cost 4 of us (me, DH, DD and her BF) to go in September for 8 days in a BWV 1BR. Dues for the points used, park passes, food (we budget $75 per person per day), airfare and rental car is $8350. Or, $1000 per day. That's *with* DVC. If we didn't have DVC we probably wouldn't even go to WDW any longer.

Yep and its everywhere.

Went to my cousins college gradution last week. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that opened right before she started (its where her and my aunt stayed when they went to drop her off). Back then it was i believe just over $100 a night.

My aunt used expedia or kayak one of those and after those discounts it was still $230 something a night. And the full price was close to $300 a night.

Crazy

Last edited:
Also make sure you’re comparing the same room types.

Going from a standard room to a preferred or Royal Room can really jack up the price, especially when you’re staying for 9 nights.

I am DVC as well. Our family of 4 for 7 nights in a standard view studio at RIV (April 2024) is 155 points. We paid around $4.15/point and dues are around $8.50/point. So our cost for the room is around $2,000. We bought sorcerers pass last year so that helps. Add in airfare, food, gifts, blah blah blah and our cost total with the AP divided up for the 4 of us is around $6,000 for the week.

However, I have been starting to feel the pinch as well and did some digging on other vacation options. For our family to go to Beaches all-inclusive resort for the same dates was around $11,000 (not including airfare). Atlantis Bahamas was around $8,000 not including food or airfare. I even looked at a few all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and those were between $5,500 to $9,000+ not including airfare. It seems like over the past 5 years or so almost all travel has shot through the roof.

We have family friends who rent a very large beach house in the OBX (like 15 bedrooms) with their extended family. I think the total for the week was around $24,000 this year for a week. Divided by the four families (like 20 people total) it was around $6,000 for the week per family.

I guess my question is, what should a week long Disney vacation cost in 2024? Based on my research of other options, it seems during the busy spring break season in March/April that a value trip for a family of four should be in the $4,000 - $6,000 range. Moderate probably in the $6,000 - $8,000 range and deluxe in the $8,000 - $11,000 range with higher ranges for concierge, VIP tours, etc...

Yep and its everywhere.

Went to my cousins college gradution last week. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that opened right before she started (its where her and my aunt stayed when they went to drop her off). Back then it was i believe just over $100 a nihgt.

My aunt used expedia or kayak one of those and after those discounts it was still $230 something a night. And the full price was close to $300 a night.

Crazy

Hotels definitely increase prices for college graduations (and other big events). My husband's family lives in a college town a few hours away from us. When we visit, we occasionally will get a hotel room just to make it feel like more of a vacation. When we do this in the middle of summer, the hotel price is about $135-$150/night. Last year we needed to be in that town over what was a college graduation weekend and the price for the same hotel was $500/night. Two weeks later it was back down to $135.

We have been to WDW twice.
December 2018 with free dining at POP
February 2022 with no discounts at POR

I decided to start casually looking again.
We paid 4400 for POR 9 nights and 7 park days.
The same this December is 6400!

Is this the typical increase people are seeing? 50% more? That's literally insane, and something we wouldn't be able to even pretend to consider.

As others have said, you're comparing 2 different times of year that could have very different pricing. Also, did you price that this morning? I know Disney has announced that the 2024 reservations have been shut down for several hours because their system was pricing things incorrectly (I've seen other posts about people getting much higher prices for 2024 than they had in 2022/23). I don't know if the pricing glitch was affecting 2023 reservations as well.

Last edited:
As PP mentions, if booked with a package and one needs to cancel, the tickets will cancel as well as the resort reservation with no out-of-pocket expense assuming cancellation before the penalty date.

Tickets purchased separately, whether from WDW or an authorized reseller, must be paid in full at the time of purchase. Some resellers may allow returns/refunds/exchanges for a fee, others do not; WDW generally does not do refunds.

Any ticket that goes fully-unused will carry forward a credit based on the WDW online price at the time the ticket was purchased; that is true whether package tickets or direct from WDW or through an authorized reseller.
Very helpful! Good to know.

Maybe CMs allow packages to be booked and different dates chosen for tickets vs for the hotel to get the best price plus all the benefits that come with the package. Again IDK - just an idea for the OP.

For those in the queue...are you guys still on "recalculating" and paused bookings message? Dang, Ive been in for 6.5 hours now...had gone back to sleep for 3 hours lol...and paused bookings for over 2 hours. gotta love Disney IT.

ETA: oops I thought I was in the other thread about bookings! Lol Im tired!

I am DVC as well. Our family of 4 for 7 nights in a standard view studio at RIV (April 2024) is 155 points. We paid around $4.15/point and dues are around $8.50/point. So our cost for the room is around $2,000. We bought sorcerers pass last year so that helps. Add in airfare, food, gifts, blah blah blah and our cost total with the AP divided up for the 4 of us is around $6,000 for the week.

However, I have been starting to feel the pinch as well and did some digging on other vacation options. For our family to go to Beaches all-inclusive resort for the same dates was around $11,000 (not including airfare). Atlantis Bahamas was around $8,000 not including food or airfare. I even looked at a few all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and those were between $5,500 to $9,000+ not including airfare. It seems like over the past 5 years or so almost all travel has shot through the roof.

We took an 8-day cruise on NCL in April from San Juan PR to NYC. Our cruise cost us $2160 for a balcony and that included food onboard, the alcohol package (basically unlimited), a $50 discount on excursions, our daily gratuities, and 300 minutes of internet. I had $200 worth of OBC and we paid maybe another $400 for excursions. Add airfare of about $800 for both of us so were at $3300 all in.

We have family friends who rent a very large beach house in the OBX (like 15 bedrooms) with their extended family. I think the total for the week was around $24,000 this year for a week. Divided by the four families (like 20 people total) it was around $6,000 for the week per family.

I guess my question is, what should a week long Disney vacation cost in 2024? Based on my research of other options, it seems during the busy spring break season in March/April that a value trip for a family of four should be in the $4,000 - $6,000 range. Moderate probably in the $6,000 - $8,000 range and deluxe in the $8,000 - $11,000 range with higher ranges for concierge, VIP tours, etc...

I think you're estimating pretty low. Spring Break is the "Easter" Season. I looked at last year's Eastern Season for resort prices and next year's pass prices for the week before Easter. A value resort (All Star Sport) went for $258 (tax included), or $1800 for a week the week before Easter. Park Hoppers for the week before Easter next year for 2 adults and 2 children is $3560 add food ($200 per day), Genie+ (will be $100 per day for the family), airfare (say, $1200) and transportation to/from the resort (another $100). That comes out to another $6960 for a total of $8760.

POR was $406 per night or $2842 for the week or $9800 total.

Beach Club was $810 per night or $5670 for the week or $12,630.

Maybe CMs allow packages to be booked and different dates chosen for tickets vs for the hotel to get the best price plus all the benefits that come with the package. Again IDK - just an idea for the OP.
You don't choose a ticket start date with a package; package tickets automatically begin on your arrival date. Tickets bought with a package have different valid use dates -- essentially the longer of the resort reservation or the regular ticket use window. So for example, if you have a 5-night resort stay and only a 2-day theme park ticket -- that ticket is valid from arrival day for the full 6 days covered by the resort reservation so you have some flexibility in using it. A 2-day ticket purchased separately (not a package) must be used within a 4-day window of the specified start date.

That comes out to another $6960 for a total of $8760.

POR was $406 per night or $2842 for the week or $9800 total.

Beach Club was $810 per night or $5670 for the week or $12,630.

Honestly these prices don't seem to be out of the ordinary with other family vacations in 2024.

Without airfare, Beaches was $10,794 (with food).

Without airfare, Atlantis was $7,273 (without food).

For me, I can get to Orlando for our family around $800 or $900 round trip (my May 2023 trip was less than $750 on a black friday sale) but to get to the Caribbean or Mexico is easily $1,600. So that is another larger expense.

October to December is the new high season at Disney, meaning rooms are significantly more expensive than Spring or Summer. They have also increased, but not that dramatically since last year.

Hotels definitely increase prices for college graduations (and other big events). My husband's family lives in a college town a few hours away from us. When we visit, we occasionally will get a hotel room just to make it feel like more of a vacation. When we do this in the middle of summer, the hotel price is about $135-$150/night. Last year we needed to be in that town over what was a college graduation weekend and the price for the same hotel was $500/night. Two weeks later it was back down to $135.
True but it’s still a lot. Especially given when she dropped her off it was cheaper (which is when I also see prices go up-couple towns over from me is a college town and between drop off and graduation we see prices skyrocket)

We have been to WDW twice.
December 2018 with free dining at POP
February 2022 with no discounts at POR

I decided to start casually looking again.
We paid 4400 for POR 9 nights and 7 park days.
The same this December is 6400!

Is this the typical increase people are seeing? 50% more? That's literally insane, and something we wouldn't be able to even pretend to consider.
My preferred resort (CR) is often 300% more than when I first went in 2015.

Yep and its everywhere.

Went to my cousins college gradution last week. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that opened right before she started (its where her and my aunt stayed when they went to drop her off). Back then it was i believe just over $100 a night.

Crazy
College towns are notorious for jacking up prices around graduation (and homecoming and, if a football school, on game days). At a Virginia college town, I paid around $100 or less with a military discount for a Fairfield Inn when we visited semi-frequently.

Graduation, that same exact room was priced well over $400 a year in advance! (they sell out quickly - and prices only went up from there if you waited).

So we checked out Hampton down the road and still paid a similar rate (maybe a little cheaper). Crazy indeed!

My cousin went to school in the same town, and he used to rent out his driveway for like $50 a car on game days, lol. And he got it too from what I understand.

Disney resorts are definitely crazy in price. Sadly, what I once considered high (in general) is now consider low when compared to Disney.

Time of year makes a huge difference. We are booked for a couple of days at Boardwalk Villas in September (with a 25% discount) and the price in December is nearly double. So even accounting for the September discount, it's still significantly higher.

That's right, it's like an insurance policy in case you have to cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter