Did I leave enough time for a flight?

TK-Fett

TK-1143 of the 501st Legion
The Fantasy is set to dock at disembark starting at 7:30am. My flight leaves MCO at 10am. Do I have any chance of making that flight?

In my opinion, that's way too early. DCL recommends flights no earlier than 11:30. You might be able to make it if you did express walk-off as soon as the ship is cleared, had TSA pre-check, and everything went perfectly. But you are counting on the ship docking on time and being cleared by customs with no delays, no traffic jams on 528, and no delays at TSA. That's a lot that can go wrong.

Not unless you are doing express walk off, have a car waiting at the curb to pick you up and have the TSA pre check. If there is a customs delay, accident on the highway etc, you are at greater risk of not making it.

I am not a gambler and wouldn't do it.

If there isnt an accident on the 528 that delays the normal hour trip.

Get off the ship at 730. About an hour to the airport. Seems doable.
You forgot the ... wait in the check in line (since you won't be able to check in on the ship) and the wait in the security line ... Either one at MCO could run you more than 60 min and you only gave yourself 90 mins to do both plus get to the gate before they close the door (which we all know happens well before 10)....

You forgot the ... wait in the check in line (since you won't be able to check in on the ship) and the wait in the security line ... Either one at MCO could run you more than 60 min and you only gave yourself 90 mins to do both plus get to the gate before they close the door (which we all know happens well before 10)....

It also is not like you instantaneously get of the ship at 7:30 and into a car. There is often a crowd waiting to disembark on the ship so if you are not at the front of the pack that slows you down in terms of getting passport checked etc. and walking through the terminal. Let's say you get in a car at 7:45 after making your way off the ship, arrive at the airport at 8:45, check in by 9, through security by 9:30, catch the airport tram and arrive at your gate area by 9:35, and walk from the tram to the gate by 9:40, you've got 10 minutes tops to spare before they close the gate at 9:50. Can you do it? Barely, and that is everything goes right (no delayed clearing of the ship by customs, no traffic on the road, short check in and security lines at MCO).

Go with Disney's recommendations. The Fantasy has limped into port late more than once and when it has, if you went by Disney's recommendations (even if you didn't book through Disney for your air) they help reschedule/pay for change/cancellation fees.

If the ship arrives as scheduled, you do Express Walk-Off and are first in line, book a car service to pick you up at 7:45, use curbside check-in at MCO and have TSA PreCheck, I think there's a good chance you'll make it.

I would not attempt this. MCO. And customs lately at the port. Those two alone can cause issues. Never mind accidents on the highway or the ship coming into port late. Have a back up plan if you do. Not worth the stress or the dollars on this one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm not sure how we got ourselves into this situation, its not our first cruise or our first experience with airports but we still booked this flight too early and didn't notice till now.

My wife is calling today to try to get us on a later flight without breaking the bank. I think i'll look into that TSA precheck though, could come in handy on future trips.

MCO is the worst airport that we have ever dealt with, and we have precheck. Sometimes it works as planned and we're through in minutes, and other times it takes between 20 and 30 minutes, with them giving us trouble every step of the way. No other airport gives us as many headaches as MCO.

Book a later flight!

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm not sure how we got ourselves into this situation, its not our first cruise or our first experience with airports but we still booked this flight too early and didn't notice till now.

My wife is calling today to try to get us on a later flight without breaking the bank. I think i'll look into that TSA precheck though, could come in handy on future trips.

TSA Precheck is definitely worth the $85. We've never spent more than 10-15 minutes going to through security at MCO.

When is your cruise. Example of things that can go wrong. Tomorrow the people leaving PC on the Dream are being warned that the ship may not be able to dock in PC after the cruise ends. They will dock somewhere else and bus people back to PC. I know there was another cruise a few years ago that could not dock because of high winds. They had to wait and gave it another try and were able to dock then and there was not a hurricane it was just unusually high winds.

When is your cruise. Example of things that can go wrong. Tomorrow the people leaving PC on the Dream are being warned that the ship may not be able to dock in PC after the cruise ends. They will dock somewhere else and bus people back to PC.

Or they may be able to dock a day or two late at PC depending on what the storm does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter