Diamond Found at MK. Did a CM Steal it? Share your Lost and Found Story

StaceyWI

Earning My Ears
We recently visited Disney World in August and my daughter found a diamond while at Magic Kingdom. Although she really wanted to keep it, I assured her this diamond is probably very important to someone and we had to turn it in. I suspected the diamond may have been from someone’s wedding ring.

We visited the lost and found at MK and waited in line outside. Once it was our turn, an older CM asked if we lost something. I said no and showed her the diamond we found. She took the diamond and put it in her pocket. She never asked any detail such as where we found it, our names, etc. We then walked through the building and left the park.

After thinking about it, I got worried that the CM may have stole the diamond for herself. I really hope I am wrong about this. I contacted Disney about it and they said they could not share found item details.

Does anyone else have a story of finding something and successfully turning it in?

I hope that diamond found it's way back to the owner.

My DH found a wallet in the men's room near the TTC. I brought it into the store there and let the clerk know. He wanted to know how a woman found a wallet in the men's restroom. He was rather confrontational and I told him that if he'd listened to me, I said that my husband found the wallet in the men's room and he was outside with our children while I brought it into the store. It really made me question whether or not he was going to turn it in at all. It was a horrible feeling, so I know how you and your family feel.

I wouldn’t place something so valuable or tiny into the hands of one CM without another CM or manager present
We intentionally went to the lost and found area rather than giving it to a random CM in hopes it would had the best chance of getting back to the originally owner. The CM was an older (70+) lady managing the line outside the lost and found area. There were other CMs in the building helping guests, but they may have not noticed. There were also several guests behind us in line.

We intentionally went to the lost and found area rather than giving it to a random CM in hopes it would had the best chance of getting back to the originally owner. The CM was an older (70+) lady managing the line outside the lost and found area. There were other CMs in the building helping guests, but they may have not noticed. There were also several guests behind us in line.
You did the right thing, that's all you can do, and you set a wonderful example for your daughter. What happened to the ring after that is not on you!! You did your part, and I'd like to think the CM turned it in, the person that lost it came and claimed it and was so thankful that your daughter turned in her ring! And they all lived happily ever after :)

You did the right thing, that's all you can do, and you set a wonderful example for your daughter. What happened to the ring after that is not on you!! You did your part, and I'd like to think the CM turned it in, the person that lost it came and claimed it and was so thankful that your daughter turned in her ring! And they all lived happily ever after :)

Yep. No need to do what-ifs on the outcome. Live with the good decision on your conscience and let the rest go, because that's the only part of it you could control.

Two years ago I was sitting in our room at the Beach Club Villas when I happened to notice that my diamond was missing from my engagement ring! After crying out and scaring my poor husband to death I frantically searched our room. Problem was that it could have fallen out anywhere during our trip. In the pool, walking in a parking lot, park, restaurant...anywhere!
I did tell the resort but no luck. Thank you for being honest and bringing it to lost and found. The CM probably put it in her pocket because she felt more secure holding on to it until she could go back into the building as she was managing the outside line. She wouldn't have jeopardized her job like that...besides there are cameras everywhere!!

How do you know it was a diamond? I assure you, it is hard to tell without a microscope.
I can’t say for certain, but it sure looked like a 1 carat diamond. It was a solitaire and similar to the diamond in my wedding ring.

LOL, for me it was nothing so valuable or arduous to retrieve. I once left my backpack behind, draped on my chair at Pizza Planet after eating there(obviously this dates how long ago this was), and walked away from it, maybe 20-30 mins wandering the park until I realized the thing wasn't on my back. Ironically enough, I found it right on the chair I left it with another guest occupying the chair. I excused myself, took back the backpack and went on my merry way with little incident.

I did find it a little weird that the guy (and possibly more than just him, too) just helped himself to the chair, with the backpack on it- not questioning if it was occupied, or maybe turning it into an employee or something, but you know, people are super competitive about that counter service seating, I guess if a butt isn't in the seat, nothing is stopping them, heh.

This past July I found a cell phone in the women's bathroom. I waited for a bit to see if anyone came back looking, but when no one did I turned it into a custodial CM. He asked where I found it and stated he was going to keep it in their area for a few hours to see if anyone came back to the area, then they would transfer it to the regular lost and found.

A couple of years ago I started the day at Hollywood Studios and got lunch at Rosie's All American. I remember the food was ready pretty quickly after I paid so I put my wallet on the tray and carried it over to the table just to get moving as quick as possible. Later in the day we park hopped over to Magic Kingdom. I was about to pay for something when I realized my wallet wasn't in my bag. I pretty much freaked out. Besides cash there were credit cards, my license, insurance cards, etc., basically my whole life in that wallet. I went to guest service at Magic Kingdom and they were able to call up the Hollywood Studios office. They were able to confirm that a wallet matching my description was found but for some reason they couldn't confirm that it was mine (I guess they didn't want to give out the ID information on the phone?). Either way we immediately went back to Hollywood Studios and to guest services, and sure enough there was my wallet. They took the cash out and counted it and clipped it together with a note of how much they found, maybe so a CM wouldn't take a bill away? Either way, I got everything back I was super grateful. At one point I thought I might have thrown the wallet away when I dumped all the trash on the tray into the garbage can, but apparently I left the wallet on the tray on top of the trash can and a custodial CM spotted it and turned it in! I also learned a valuable lesson about keeping a much better eye on my wallet.

I found a child! My son and I were walking down Sunset Blvd in Hollywood Studios and in the middle of the street was a 4 or 5 year old crying his eyes out, looking for his parents. After waiting with him for a bit, looking to see if we could see anyone looking for him, we walked him over to one of the food stands and asked if they could help find his lost parents. The cast members took it from there. I always hoped he didn’t have to wait too long to find his parents. I am sure they were frantic.

Never lost or found anything while at Disney. If the OP found a loose diamond on the ground, it might have been lost by anyone and they would probably not notice until later that day. Lots of imitation diamonds look like the real thing so you really have no idea if it was something of value or not. I think what would be harder to prove is the real owner trying to claim it from Disney. As others have mentioned, you did the right thing by turning it in and how Disney handles it from there isn't anything you can control.

LOL, for me it was nothing so valuable or arduous to retrieve. I once left my backpack behind, draped on my chair at Pizza Planet after eating there(obviously this dates how long ago this was), and walked away from it, maybe 20-30 mins wandering the park until I realized the thing wasn't on my back. Ironically enough, I found it right on the chair I left it with another guest occupying the chair. I excused myself, took back the backpack and went on my merry way with little incident.

I did find it a little weird that the guy (and possibly more than just him, too) just helped himself to the chair, with the backpack on it- not questioning if it was occupied, or maybe turning it into an employee or something, but you know, people are super competitive about that counter service seating, I guess if a butt isn't in the seat, nothing is stopping them, heh.

I did something similar - left a small purse on the back of my chair in a restaurant in Epcot. We park hopped to MK and I realized I had left it so back to Epcot and the restaurant. The host asked me to check the table we sat at and sure enough someone was seated in that same chair and my purse was still there. It was a very small purse but I was surprised it wasn’t noticed too.

Not a diamond but an iphone was lost and recovered. My son had his phone and we went to buy the back pack he wanted. He was so excited and asked to have his phone to put in it when I said I didn't have it and to get it from dad. DH said nope never given to me. Right away DD opened her find a phone app and saw where DS's was - turns out it was at guest services. It was found at the Frozen Sing A A Long so it must have dropped out of his pocket in the theater. We didn't notice until over an hour later that it was even missing. They didn't turn it off until it was taken to guest services so that the location would ping there. DH had to describe the case and prove they could unlock it before they would give it back. I was so thankful it was turned in and located right away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter