Diamond Celebration: 24 Hour Event @ Disneyland Resort May 22-23!

I'm home and I'm STILL tired!! I went to the 2013 event, arrived at 5:15am or so, no problems. I went to the 2014 event, arrived at 4:20am or so, got one of the lanyards for the first 2,000 peeps, no problems. This year, we arrived about 2:40am and WOW. I knew it would be crowded, but just wow.... Yeah, no chance of getting any free giveaway this year, and at one point I wondered if we would even get into the park before 6am. It was crazy. I was literally in line for an hour and a half without moving at all. THOUSANDS of people were lined up. We were staying at the Hotel Menage, so came in on the Harbor side. We heard from the people around us who came from the Downtown Disney side that they were all walked thru the Esplanade and made to line up on our side and were told that no one would be let into the Esplanade to line up from the DTD side. Well, a little after 4, while we still had not moved, the people in front of us heard from their friends that had just arrived that they entered thru DTD and were in Disneyland lining up at the Emporium. Suffice to say people were pissed. Self included. It just seems like EVERY TIME Disney pulls crap like this that just pisses people off. I can see how they haven't mastered crowd control yet.... I mean they've only had 60 years of practice.... ;-) ANYWAY, even though we were running on only 2 hours sleep (one friend couldn't get off work very early, so we left the Bay Area about 2:30 pm, got to Anaheim about 10, then had to deal with a not sleeping because of noisy hotel neighbors), and it took us almost 2 1/2 hours to get in, were surprisingly not cranky!

We got in to Disneyland at 5am, took a picture at the big Mickey, and headed to Main Street. We couldn't even get to the end of Main Street by the Emporium because of huge circling lines to get into the store. We were told that they weren't letting any more people onto Main Street until 6. At this point we realized that we would not be able to see the castle and any opening ceremonies, so we decided to start our day at DCA. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. There was barely anyone in line for the 5:30 opening. We got in and I was able to get in line at Elias & Co for 24 Hour Event merch and I was like 10th in line!! After that it was rope drop. Racers didn't open until 7, so one of us got in line for WOC FP and the other 2 headed to Starbucks! FPs secured, it was ride time: Toy Story, Screamin', Racers, Mater's Jamboree, Tower of Terror. Along the way we took pictures for every hour with the big clocks at the photo stops. We also got a Sully photo, when he went to put his arm around my friend he punched her face. Hard! Oops! We stopped for something to eat at Pacific Wharf, and I took the opportunity to check Disboards and saw that Disneyland closure was expected by 1pm! We didn't want to risk being locked out of Disneyland, so we left DCA and were back at DL just before 12.

We made a point of posting a picture to Facebook every hour, with the clocks when we could. We found that there were less clocks photo stops in DL than DCA. We also got several character photos. Our first DL ride, and longest line of the day, was Matterhorn. Ah.Maz.Ing. Loved it. Then we hit Pirates and Indiana Jones, then stopped for the special chocolate mocha funnel cake at Stagedoor Café. Yum. Headed to Critter Country for Pooh, bought some hats, and had dinner at Hungry Bear This was 6pm, and no line for dinner and no problem finding a table! Went on Haunted Mansion and saw the AWESOME Hatbox Ghost, then made our way across Main Street to Star Tours. After that, we scoped out a spot for fireworks at Small World; this was about 9:15 and it was crowded but doable. The show was phenomenal, my favorite thing being Mount Wannahockaloogie!! After fireworks we rode Small World, which was a great plan because there was no line and it gave time for the area to empty out. Then Astro Blasters, Carousel, Teacups, a photo at the castle, Space Mountain, and back to Small World for a spot for the 1am Paint the Night. We waited about an hour for the parade, and it was REALLY good. We decided not to hop for the 3am WOC after hearing about the huge crowds on the Esplanade. Instead we did Matterhorn again, caffeinated at Starbucks, hit Toontown's pajama party, and enjoyed a 3am Dole Whip! Last rides of the night were Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, Storybook Land, and Alice. We had a light saber photo op in Tomorrowland, then headed to Main Street for the character goodbye.

It was a way bigger crowd control cluster than past years, but it wasn't so bad in the parks. We had a great time. I'm ready for next year!!! My two girlfriends, not so much... lol Per fitbit, we did 41,000 steps and 17 miles!

For anyone who wasn't able to get the party t-shirt (we were told that Emporium, Showcase, and Store Command sold out) or couldn't get it in their size, the shirt is still for sale online at DisneyStore.com until 5/31. We saw so many disappointed people turned away when they couldn't get shirts, so I hope this helps someone find some post party magic.

Question:
Did anyone go to the Mad T Party area last night and could you guys tell me what it was like/what the drinks were like (if you had any?)
Mad T Party was awesome, though super-packed! For me, this was the highlight of the night and the main reason I wanted to go. Unfortunately, it also prevented me from getting into DL. Anyway, they performed a lot of their old songs and had a lot of energy. They looked super excited to be back on stage. Dani Kerry was Alice and Josh Disan was the Mad Hatter. I went to all 4 sets and they never perfomed "A very merry unbirthday" - it appears to have been replaced by the new "When you wish upon a star", which is awesome and has recordings of some of Walt's famous quotes, but I'd loved to have heard unbirthday, as well.

As far as the drinks go, I only had one because they shut off ALL alcohol in DCA by 10:30pm. A friend bought my drink so I didn't see the selection. But one cool thing is the new glow-cubes; well, I should say GLOW DIAMONDS! The new ice cubes are shaped like diamonds and have little Mickey ears printed on them. I really like those :-)

Can't wait for my next cup of T!

Here's the link for the kid's 24-hour shirt: http://www.disneystore.com/dopey-up...land-limited-availability/mp/1376043/1000228/
Here's the link for the adult 24-hour shirt: http://www.disneystore.com/dopey-up...land-limited-availability/mp/1375920/1000228/

The only other merchandise that I saw was the limited edition 24-hour pin (no special ears, sweatshirt, or glow stick this year), but that sold out quickly and I (highly) doubt would be sold by the DisneyStore.com.

As far as the special ears, we got dated ears when we went thru security, the pins, I should of stood in line for oh well, I am not going to pay $90 on ebay

As far as the special ears, we got dated ears when we went thru security, the pins, I should of stood in line for oh well, I am not going to pay $90 on ebay
The dated ears were not available for purchase. They were only given out to a limited number of guests that were there from early on. Rather like the lanyard in 2014. I don't really consider that merchandise for the event because it can't be purchased (it was more of a promotion, special gift). Last year, anyone could purchase a pair of dated ears (like the t-shirts and other merchandise).

Regarding the pins, if past pin fads bear any relation to this one, wait a couple of months and you should be able to get one for 20 bucks. That's what I'm counting on at least!!

(Not to mention that is what's has happened to me with other much-hyped and over valued pins in the past :) )

Regarding the pins, if past pin fads bear any relation to this one, wait a couple of months and you should be able to get one for 20 bucks. That's what I'm counting on at least!!

oh ok I was referring the ears they also had for the 50th

HAD A BLAST! :thumbsup2...My wife and I entered DL at 8:30 got a pic with a clock then went straight to the Matterhorn. It was about an hour wait, but the new effects were awesome. Most of the rest of the day we spent hitting an occasional ride (HM for a third time this trip...Hatbox Ghost is excellent), getting a pulled pork hot dog, and drinking energy drinks (stowed in our backpacks). We squeezed in behind a very nice couple at about 7:30 on Main Street to watch PTN and then the DL Forever Fireworks. We left DL at 10ish went to DCA, got some more pics and wandered the shops waiting for our "breakfast" ressies at 12:25 at Ariel's Grotto (Tri-Tip with eggs for me, my wife had the french toast and sausage). Waited an hour for unobstructed fence spots at WoC, and after the show headed back to the Grand Californian for some shut eye. 19 hours straight!!!:woohoo:

I was really debating about going back to DL for sunrise but we needed to be out by 11AM for checkout. Plus I had a 7 hour drive back to Tucson on Saturday. o_O

Although it was hectic, I feel it was a wonderful experience. We just tried to take the day in stride, and I will definitely do this again if I get the opportunity.

We were iffy on staying for this event, as this was the last day of our trip. SO GLAD WE DID! Our daughter was sick for the first half of the trip and we made up for it the last few days. We didn't get up early to rush the gates, we woke up at around 8 and went to DCA for a bit and then went to DL around 11/12, and apparently they stopped letting people in around 2/3(ish). I was eating lunch when mousewait stated the park was at capacity. We went to hungry bear to eat and get away from the crowds for a little and let our kids nap.

Sure it was crazy busy, but other than main street, and during the parades/fire works it wasn't much worse than the rest of the week leading up. The fireworks were amazing, the castle looked unbelievably beautiful, and we watched the parade right next to the Matterhorn line and had a good view. I just wish so many people would get off their phones/cameras and enjoy the stuff. I take lots of photos, but during the paint the night I just wanted to watch and 6/7 people right behind us had their phone videos going with the stupid lights.

All in all it was crazy but worth it! It was something I am glad to say I braved to be part of!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter