Diabetics at Ohana

LiteBrite

DIS Veteran
Hi everybody,

I posted this question over on the restaurants board, and it was suggested that I ask here too. I haven't hung out here before, so my apologies if a diabetes related question is not the norm here.

My hubby is diabetic, and I'm curious how other diabetics have fared with dinner at Ohana. The menu sounds pretty heavy on sugar - honey lime dressing on the salad, sweet and sour shrimp, honey coriander wings, asian barbecue pork, and a pineapple teriyaki glaze on the sausage.

Also, does anyone know if Ohana provides a sugar-free dessert?

Thanks!

LiteBrite said:
Hi everybody,

I posted this question over on the restaurants board, and it was suggested that I ask here too. I haven't hung out here before, so my apologies if a diabetes related question is not the norm here.
A lot of people who come to this board are diabetics, so this is a great question.

They bring a bunch of "appetizers" or "side dishes" at first. I am sure if you could ask that the salad be plain. However, the main bulk of the meal is meat served off skewers. Turkey, Beef, Pork Shrimp...just meat. Last time we were there the dessert was pineapple, but I think they may have changed that. Is he on a pump?

bopper said:
They bring a bunch of "appetizers" or "side dishes" at first. I am sure if you could ask that the salad be plain. However, the main bulk of the meal is meat served off skewers. Turkey, Beef, Pork Shrimp...just meat. Last time we were there the dessert was pineapple, but I think they may have changed that. Is he on a pump?

No, he's not on a pump. The dessert used to be pineapple with caramel dipping sauce, which would have been great since he could have just eaten the pineapple (one of his favorite things anyway). However, they have recently changed it to a bread pudding with ice cream and bananas foster sauce - sounds fabulous, but definitely no good for hubby!

When you make your reservations inform them that your husband is diabetic. They can make him separate portions of the same food without the sweet sauces. Or if you have areally good chef and give them enough advance notice they can make them sugar free with Splenda or Nutrasweet. Be specific if he can't use Nutrasweet. They have done this for me at Boma, Luau, and many of the in park restaurants. And they have brought me fabnulous fruit plates for dessert with pineapple, grapes, strawberries and melon. Disney really works with you to make things work for your dietary needs.
I have only had a problem at one restaurant in MGM. They tried to give me a sugar free dessert mkade with nutrasweet when we had given them advance notice that I was allergic to this product. When I asked to see the ingredients the server had conveniently disposed of the box. (individual servings) Since I know that it did use nutraswet I didn't eat it and went without.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter