Diabetic/Low Carb Choices at WDW

Dutchvrouw

Earning My Ears
I am a Type 2 diabetic. I keep my sugars below 110 by limiting carb grams to 100 or fewer per day -- usually 50 to 70 grams daily. I'll be spending a week at WDW in October and am a bit nervous about finding an entire week's worth of low carb choices. I'm bringing breakfast options to prepare in my room but lunch, snacks and dinner will be a bit of a challenge. We will be staying at WDW and won't have a car so it will be necessary to keep my sugars under control by eating strictly what's available at WDW. I'd hate to end up eating a hamburger without a bun for lunch and a skinned chicken for dinner for seven days in a row. Afternoon and evening snacks of broccoli don't sound all that great, either. Do the restaurants and counter services at WDW have many low carb choices? Do they provide nutrtion information upon request?

We just returned and were on the dining plan. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and limits his carbs to about 40 per day and he ate quite good. I never saw any of the nutrition info listed except on the prepakaged sugar free desserts (still too many carbs for him); however, anytime we asked for detailed info we got it. At the table service restaurants the chef came out to the table and told us the exact ingrediants of sauces, rubs, etc that we asked about.

Our first night there we went to the Hoop Di Doo and even though I asked for low carb food when I made the ressie it wasn't noted. When we told our server, she immediately got a special order placed and he had grilled chicken and roasted veggies.

Disney is very good about making substitutions for those on special diets. The only disappointment is there are no low carb desserts, only sugar free ones that still have too many carbs. Typical sugar free desserts raise my husband's blood sugar as much as a regular dessert.

Deb Wills' site has a low carb write up that's pretty good:

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rev_lowcarb.htm

I tend to low carb at home but don't usually worry about it on vacation. Most restaurants seem to have alot of options and usually just substituting a veggie for the starch is all that's required for me. I understand your requirements are medical related where mine is just trying to keep my weight under control so we've each got different needs.

Have fun on the trip!

I don't know if this will help but I just made all my ADR's and the CM I talk to had noted on all of them that I was a Diabetic. Also she suggested that I call the place the night before as a reminder and tell your waiter/watress when your seated. They will tell the chef. I have looked at the menus for the places I am going to eat and can pretty much make a selection with a couple of adjustments which I will request the night before.Disnwy is very good helping you out in these kind of siduations,The areas I have a concern about are Potatoes (bad) and desert(real bad) I can fix the potato problem by requesting another vegatable instead. I will have to see what happens with Desert yet. Check out Allears.net web site for the Menus.Best of luck

WOW! Thanks for the good information. The allearsnet site is a fabulous help. I can feel myself relaxing as I type! :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter