Diabetes on Board

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
So, I have to have insulin and sharps with me on this trip, but I don't have a prescription for either because it's cheaper to get the over the counter insulin at Walmart.
Will I need a doctors note or something to prove that it's for medical purposes?

No worries with taking insulin and pens on board. Needles dispensers are to be found in public areas, and also in your stateroom. You can also ask your stateroom host if you need more. (Note that I personally do not use them and prefer to take back my needles with me, YMMV.)

Obviously I would suggest you keep a prescription with you, not to store your insulin in the fridge, bring more insulin than you need and if you are paranoid like I am, store them in different bags (I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to ruin my cruise if ALL my insulin get lost/stolen before my cruise).

bring more insulin than you need and if you are paranoid like I am, store them in different bags (I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to ruin my cruise if ALL my insulin get lost/stolen before my cruise).

Don’t check medication. Carry it on with you.

Don’t check medication. Carry it on with you.

Of course!

I know I'm being paranoid but even with carryons I wouldn't put all my insulins in the same place. I can lose all my money, my clothes, my electronic devices and somehow still enjoy my cruise, not my insulin.

It's always amazed me that I've never been questioned when I travel about the hundred needles I bring. I've always brought prescription labels just in case but lancets and needles apparently are seen enough that is not a concern thankfully. I've also done 4 disney cruises and haven't been asked either. Plus, as you've said its available otc and is essential in keeping you alive. I'll still always have labels with me just in case but wouldn't be worried if I forgot one.

Last edited:
One does not exclude the other. Experiences from multiple cruisers might also provide valuable info and tips. That's what our boards are about!

She didn’t ask for experiences and tips (“What are your experiences with sailing with diabetes?”). She asked if DCL would require something specific from a doctor to allow her to board with her non-Rx insulin and sharps.

Why on God’s green earth would anyone show up at the port without contacting DCL directly on this matter? Do you really want to show up with no note because of what some stranger on a message board said, only to find out that a.) they were wrong; b.) their situation wasn’t analogous to yours; or c.) DCL’s policy had recently changed?

What’s the point of asking the question here when you know you’re going to have to call DCL for an authoritative answer anyway?

What’s the point of asking the question here when you know you’re going to have to call DCL for an authoritative answer anyway?

I wont speak for OP, but I know I've had questions, where I have been in a place unable to call DCL (ahem.. no one here would EVER think about browsing DIS from work would they?) and thus have posed the question to see if others knew.

Personally, I'll be trying to get the porters to take my Crohn's off me while I am on-board.. and I'll promise to pick it back up at the end of the cruise
(if they take my Crohn's, I'll probably break my promise, and leave it at the port when I return)

I wont speak for OP, but I know I've had questions, where I have been in a place unable to call DCL (ahem.. no one here would EVER think about browsing DIS from work would they?) and thus have posed the question to see if others knew.

Personally, I'll be trying to get the porters to take my Crohn's off me while I am on-board.. and I'll promise to pick it back up at the end of the cruise
(if they take my Crohn's, I'll probably break my promise, and leave it at the port when I return)

But if it were a specific medical question, you knew you’d need to call DCL anyway, right?

But if it were a specific medical question, you knew you’d need to call DCL anyway, right?

Sure... but sometimes (at least with my disposition) I find I tend to worry less if I hear some information in advance.. something like "I tried to carry non-prescription sharps on the ship, and a big bouncer guy tackled me as I walked up the gangway.. I wouldn't recommend it." or "Yes, I am a sharps distributer, and bring them on the ship because they are like my children.. thousands of needles.. and I've never once had an issue." Of course I would still plan on calling, but getting a feel for what I might be getting into can be helpful. (And if you see that sharps distributer guy.. he is kind of a jerk and a bit odd.. I'd steer clear)

Why not keep it in the fridge?

No worries with taking insulin and pens on board. Needles dispensers are to be found in public areas, and also in your stateroom. You can also ask your stateroom host if you need more. (Note that I personally do not use them and prefer to take back my needles with me, YMMV.)

Obviously I would suggest you keep a prescription with you, not to store your insulin in the fridge, bring more insulin than you need and if you are paranoid like I am, store them in different bags (I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to ruin my cruise if ALL my insulin get lost/stolen before my cruise).

The point of asking here is that all to often when you call into DCL you get the wrong answers and find out otherwise when you get to the port.
That is a fact I have seen come up over and over again on the boards - so yeah, I would trust those who have actually done it personally over a phone call to a notoriously bad source.

She didn’t ask for experiences and tips (“What are your experiences with sailing with diabetes?”). She asked if DCL would require something specific from a doctor to allow her to board with her non-Rx insulin and sharps.

Why on God’s green earth would anyone show up at the port without contacting DCL directly on this matter? Do you really want to show up with no note because of what some stranger on a message board said, only to find out that a.) they were wrong; b.) their situation wasn’t analogous to yours; or c.) DCL’s policy had recently changed?

The point of asking here is that all to often when you call into DCL you get the wrong answers and find out otherwise when you get to the port.
That is a fact I have seen come up over and over again on the boards - so yeah, I would trust those who have actually done it personally over a phone call to a notoriously bad source.

At least when you call DCL, you can get a CM name to refer back to, and you can request an email verifying the information you were given over the phone. They can forward you documentation and you will have a paper trail.

But if the board-think is wrong or outdated, you can’t tell the cast member at the port that “eeyorestail72” and “hunnylover” on the DIS Boards said it was OK when they sailed seven months ago, right?

20 DCL cruises and I have never been asked once about needles or lancets. As other posters have said definitely bring a script for them. :3dglasses

At least when you call DCL, you can get a CM name to refer back to, and you can request an email verifying the information you were given over the phone. They can forward you documentation and you will have a paper trail.

But if the board-think is wrong or outdated, you can’t tell the cast member at the port that “eeyorestail72” and “hunnylover” on the DIS Boards said it was OK when they sailed seven months ago, right?
Do you really think the person at port is going to care what some random CS phone rep said? Even if you can give the random CS phone rep a name. That has not been my experiences with other matters and I see nothing out of line with the OP asking what actually happens in practice.

OP, Id have the RX or doctors note not because Ive ever had meds confiscated (even though I dont keep them in their original bottles) but because you need the insulin to live, right? So no chancing that, Id have every documentation I could.

Fair enough, I'll get a doctors note stating I need the insilun to function =)
Type 2 so I don't know if it would kill me - but it would certainly make me miserabe.

Do you really think the person at port is going to care what some random CS phone rep said? Even if you can give the random CS phone rep a name. That has not been my experiences with other matters and I see nothing out of line with the OP asking what actually happens in practice.

OP, Id have the RX or doctors note not because Ive ever had meds confiscated (even though I dont keep them in their original bottles) but because you need the insulin to live, right? So no chancing that, Id have every documentation I could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter