DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

We went on March 8th and while I can see it is definitely worth it normally, it wasn't on our morning because TSM was closed the entire time. So here was our experience: we got there at 7 and had to wait until 7:20 when they walked us back. We immediately went on SDD and did that 4 times before 8. We waited for maybe one car each time so it was very fast. We then did AS once (we had done it the day before). Then we went on SDD once again but basically we were done by a little after 8 because TSM never came on line and you can only do SDD so many times (although it is a lot of fun). They announced that to make up for no TSM we would have unlimited FP to TOT and RNRC between 9 and 10. To me that wasn't even close to an even compensation. We walked on to TOT and RNR until close to 9:45 so having a FP until 10 only really gave us 1 extra ride on those. And we had purposely not gone on TSM the day before because we waited for EMM when we thought we could go on multiple times. So I was not happy! I personally didn't like the breakfast offerings either but my kids did. So in summary, if everything is working, I think it is worth it. But if one of the two rides that you pay all this money for it down, it isn't worth it.

Oh gosh I wouldn’t have settled for that since we couldn’t have ridden either tot or rnrc anyways. What a bummer! I’m sorry that happened and they thought that was acceptable compensation.

So what is everyone’s thoughts do SDD first or do the others first as the lines go down as the morning goes on ?
I have been thinking this exact same thing. We love TMM. I was thinking do that a few times, aliens and then SDD.

We attended this event on 3/6. Unfortunately, SDD was not operating that morning until around 8:20. When they told us SDD was down I was devastated, as that was the main reason I had booked the event. It was my son’s birthday and I had booked this so he would be able to ride SDD multiple times. I was very upset but tried to keep a positive attitude. Fortunately I knew from reading this forum to go ask the cast members about fastpasses for later. They told me I could use my EMM wristband as a fastpass from 9:00-10:00. While waiting for SDD to open we went and rode TSM 2 times and AS2 2 times. At 8:25 once SDD was finally running we got into line and waited 16 minutes to get on. Then we were able to ride again with another 16 minute wait before the rope drop crowds arrived. Then from 9:00-9:45 we rode SDD 3 more times using the wristband as a fastpass. That was the highlight of the event…riding SDD over and over during that hour. My son was giggling and having a blast, and that made the event worth it. At 9:45 we left and walked to the breakfast. It was a long 10 minute walk to get there, and we barely made it in time. The breakfast was good. The kids and I loved the chicken tenders and eggs, and my husband loved all the pastries from the buffet. We liked how you could refill your own drinks. Despite a stressful start, everything worked out okay, and I would book the event again in the future. In summary we rode

SDD x 5
TSM x 2
AS2 x 2
That was our day too - I suspect the delay may have been because it was so chilly (something like 42 degrees). We ended up riding SDD twice during the 9-10 hour, with a ride on RnRC tossed in... and we made it to breakfast with just a couple minutes to spare! We probably saw you there!

Just booked this for 8/14, our day after we arrive. SO EXCITED! I was afraid it would sell out before I could book it. Great way to start our trip. Woot woot! This will help with FP+ planning too. :)

It's disappointing to hear there are still issues with rides beingclosed during this event. SDD was down when we went in October but eventually came up. However we didn't get to ride as much as we hoped and we weren't offered any accommodations due to the delay. At least they are now offering FP for other rides or using the EMM wristband in the FP line.

I am hoping for EMM in September but doubtful.

So what is everyone’s thoughts do SDD first or do the others first as the lines go down as the morning goes on ?

We have done this twice (Oct & Mar). Back in October we went to SDD first. We were about 30th at the Chinese theater line but felt like we were further back after the stop at Little Mermaid and then to SDD. The first ride on SDD was ~10 min wait and they dropped after that. After 4 SDD rides we went to TSMM and the waits were 5-10 min each. After my arm gave out at TSMM, we went back to SDD and the waits were under 5 min.

Last week we went to TSMM first. We were probably further back after the Little Mermaid stop (strategy tip: use the entrances on the right. They are bigger and allow more people through. We were on the left and the funneling effect through the smaller arch slowed down our merge). When we entered TSMM we were the 3-11th people there and they walked us back to the ride. The rest of the thundering hoard went to SDD. After we initially rode TSMM, the CM asked us if we wanted to ride again because there wasn't anyone in line. So we rode TSMM a second time without getting out of the car! After the second ride we left and went to SDD where the wait was ~5 min. To me the longest portion of the wait between TSMM rides is the exit/entrance walk. We hardly stood still at TSMM.

IMO, if you are maximizing the # of SDD + TSMM rides, go to TSMM first. But of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
Just got a reservation for 4/17 ....had been checking for a couple weeks with no luck and tonight it opened up. So excited because this is a somewhat last minute trip and we had no SDD FP+. Should prove to be a fun day as MK is open till 2AM with EMH. Appreciate all the tips for this event ....

We did this the 18th. We did TSMM first, 2x without getting off, SDD 4x, could have done it 1 more time but we were hungry. Waits were 7 minutes at the longest. We skipped AS2, did it at DAH Saturday.
Did Buzz, then headed to breakfast after the mass of humanity passed us.
We arrived at 7:25, and walked straight back. We weren't rushing, and I enjoyed it. Doing it again in July.

Slinky is down this morning :(
If it doesn't get up and running in time, be sure to stop by Guest relations at the front of the park to see if they will do anything for you. I'd be asking for a partial refund or 3 fastpasses for SDD if I never got to ride it during EMM. :(

Thank you for sharing . How long was your wait for Buzz

We did this the 18th. We did TSMM first, 2x without getting off, SDD 4x, could have done it 1 more time but we were hungry. Waits were 7 minutes at the longest. We skipped AS2, did it at DAH Saturday.
Did Buzz, then headed to breakfast after the mass of humanity passed us.
We arrived at 7:25, and walked straight back. We weren't rushing, and I enjoyed it. Doing it again in July.

Slinky didn’t begin working until around 8:30. We were told that our wristbands could be used as fast passes anywhere in the park until 10 am. We still were able to ride twice before the rope drop crowd got there. I was happy with this, but it is upsetting when slinky is down. Of course it’s the most popular ride, but t makes all the other character meets and attractions even more crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter