DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Anyone going 11-28? It looks like it’s predicted to be 45-48 degrees at 7am? I’m originally from central Florida and that’s COLD to me to be on an outdoor roller coaster!
Yup I’ll be there with DH and DD, but seeing it has been 8 here I’ll take 40’s

Anyone going 11-28? It looks like it’s predicted to be 45-48 degrees at 7am? I’m originally from central Florida and that’s COLD to me to be on an outdoor roller coaster!

We did it 10/29 and it was in the low 50's when we walked over from the BC in the AM, I'm not sure what it was up to at the start but it was still pretty chilly! We had on shorts and a zip front Sweatshirt, and while we weren't cozy warm we survived! However, on that day it warmed to the 80's by mid-late morning, so it was only early that it was cold. My teeth were chattering on SDD, but it was still a lot of fun!

I usually use Lyt or Uber when at the world. for emm is mears better? we're staying at SSR. This is for 1/14, no car setas needed. if so, best contact info?

thanks

I usually use Lyt or Uber when at the world. for emm is mears better? we're staying at SSR. This is for 1/14, no car setas needed. if so, best contact info?

thanks

I don't think Mears for EMM is necessarily "better" - many people you see using it on this thread are doing so because of 1) they need car seats and/or 2) they appreciate the "surety" of the pre-arranged pick-up time. Uber/Lyft are 'usually' reasonably available at all times of the day all around WDW, so I think they are valid options for those that know ride share services well - just have to build in some extra time just in case availability at that hour doesn't work in your favor at that particular moment in time.

We attended the November 23rd TSL EMM yesterday.
We really enjoyed it!

It did not seem crowded to us at all. We were let into the park around 6:55. We went to breakfast and got coffee.

We got to TSL at 7:16 and it was already open. SDD was running, but it was empty. We headed straight for it. We waited maybe 8 minutes, and I think that was the longest wait we had.

Overall, we rode SDD 5 times, and TSM and Aliens two times each.

Our final ride on SDD was a walk on. It was 8:46 and the wait time sign was already reading 60 minutes even though the rope drop crowd wasn’t there yet. As we rode our final ride, we could see the crowd rush in and form a line. As we left TSL, the wait time for SDD was 2 1/2 hours, and it was not yet 9:00.

Breakfast was fine. CMs were very nice, very accommodating.

Overall, We were glad we did this event. The high price will probably keep us from doing it again. But since this was Thanksgiving weekend, it was a nice relief from the crowds that were abundant for the rest of the trip.

We attended the November 23rd TSL EMM yesterday.
We really enjoyed it!

It did not seem crowded to us at all. We were let into the park around 6:55. We went to breakfast and got coffee.

We got to TSL at 7:16 and it was already open. SDD was running, but it was empty. We headed straight for it. We waited maybe 8 minutes, and I think that was the longest wait we had.

Overall, we rode SDD 5 times, and TSM and Aliens two times each.

Our final ride on SDD was a walk on. It was 8:46 and the wait time sign was already reading 60 minutes even though the rope drop crowd wasn’t there yet. As we rode our final ride, we could see the crowd rush in and form a line. As we left TSL, the wait time for SDD was 2 1/2 hours, and it was not yet 9:00.

Breakfast was fine. CMs were very nice, very accommodating.

Overall, We were glad we did this event. The high price will probably keep us from doing it again. But since this was Thanksgiving weekend, it was a nice relief from the crowds that were abundant for the rest of the trip.

This is an encouraging report! I wonder if it was a sold out day?

I don't normally post, but everyone's input on this thread has been so helpful, I figured my report might be useful to others, particularly for those considering going on 2x sold out and high crowd-level days. I was a little worried after a few of the recent posts...

We went on 11/21, Wednesday before Thanksgiving. A 10 park day. (Crowds were terrible all week!) Our party wasparty: Me, hubby, DD17, DS12.

We left the Yacht Club on foot at about 6:20am and arrived by 6:40. Walkway took a little longer with construction, but not too bad.

We checked through bag security and were given our wristbands. Around 6:55 they led us into the park and to ABC. We grabbed juice and pastries, sat and ate, used the restroom, and were out by about 7:10 or so. A few dozen people were already lining up outside Chinese Theatre. There were quite a few people by the time they finally let us in around 7:25. I was surprised they didn't let us in early like other reports, particularly as there was a full crowd.

We walked in rope-drop fashion to Slinky. Our original plan was to do TSMM first, but since we were near the front of the crowd, we did Slinky. We were on the 2nd train. Everyone thought it was more fun than we were expecting, so we jumped back in line as soon as we got off. Line said 5 minutes, but it was more like 12.

Next we went to Aliens. It was cute, but not as much fun as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree at Disneyland, which I think is basically the same ride. It didn't really whip us around much. So once was plenty for us. We moved on to TSMM.

Passed the Jessie/Woody meet. It looked like there were about 4-5 families in line. We did not stop, as it's not a priority for us.

Walked right into TSMM (through the regular line). Rode that. It stopped for a few minutes and we played "bonus" zero-point rounds until it started moving again. (Still fun, even if you are stopped!) We ran around & did it again. This time the fast pass line was open, but we waited a minute to get loaded. Played again, improved our scores, and decided against going one more time, even though it was only 8:30. We wanted to make sure we got to Rockin' Roller Coaster before rope drop. (This was part of the value for us in booking the package.)

We were directed by cast members to wait near a fountain just ahead of the rope where people congregate for RNR rope drop. As the rope drop commenced, we slipped in the front with another family with a teen daughter who had also done EMM and was doing the same.

We were on the 2nd RNR train, but by the time we got off, the line was probably a good 60 minute wait, so we abandoned the thought of getting 2x on RNR and instead were able to walk on ToT, and Star Tours with practically no wait before heading to ABC to order breakfast around 9:35.

Kids and hubby got chicken and donuts. They liked the chicken, but donuts were a bit overdone. DD17 went back for avocado toast. She liked it, but the egg, as others mentioned, is basically a hockey puck. I had the Mexican Chilaquiles. Not the best (powdered eggs), but it hit the spot with beans, corn, salsa and crispy tortilla strips. We all had more pastries, yogurt, fruit, juice, etc. The pastries and croissants were the best thing. Fresh and tasty. The restaurant was pretty full, but we had no trouble finding a spot to sit. Seems like they replenished often. Ordered food came almost instantly.

Overall, we were very pleased. The mini-rope-drop made it feel sort of overbooked as we entered the land, but once inside TSL, it never felt crowded. The streets were empty and it was fun to see everything without hordes of people.

We got our fill of the rides and were able to do the other 3 DHS rides easily, even on a level 10 day. I imagine there would be no trouble getting Jedi Training sign-ups done if you left at 8:40-8:45.

I'm trying to imagine how others were able to get 7x on Slinky, but maybe that was on days they opened around 7:15 and it was not sold out. Regardless, we never felt like we were waiting too long or that time was slipping by.

For us, the experience was positive and worth the money. My main suggestion, especially for busy days, is make sure you arrive by 6:40 or so. The cast member who checked us in said he was surprised that he has seen people show up for the event even later than 8:00. To make the most of your time, especially on a full capacity day, definitely have a back-up transportation plan, and if you plan to rope drop the rest of the park, leave by 8:40.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

Hi everyone! My family and I are scheduled to attend this coming Wednesday, November 28. When I have checked the weather for that day, it has forecasted morning showers. Has anyone had experience with this event and rain? I’m curious to know if rides would still be available and how it would be handled. Thanks in advance for any info!

Here is my review of EMM from 11/14 - sorry I'm a little late, wanted to wait until I was home and had some more time. This thread was insanely helpful in putting together my game plan and knowing what to expect so thanks to all!! In case you don't want to read all the details below, overall - I thought the event was really really great and worth the expense if you can swing it. I did not think it was overly crowded - although I was prepared in advance for a larger crowd due to reading some of the earlier posts. Below is a detailed timeline - I used the pictures on my phone to rebuild it.

6:30am - Picked up by Mears (reserved in advance, paid $14 for all 6 of us including 2 carseats). Totally worth it not to have to deal with stress of bus being late.
6:46am - Took pictures outside the front gate, got checked in, got bracelets, and through security in 8 minutes
6:54am - Pictures on Hollywood Blvd.
7:00am - ABC Commissary (everyone grabbed fruit, pastries, coffees, and a bathroom break)
7:15am - Joined the crowd waiting to be let into the land
7:20am - Was walked back into TSL. While we were waiting, the Cast Members were yelling out that Andy was still playing with Slinky Dog and he was not ready yet. This led to a little bit of yelling from some people misunderstanding and thinking that SDD was down. I really think this was just their way of trying to get people not to go their first - but I'm not sure. We decided to risk it and go wait there anyway. They let people get in line and let people onto the ride right at 7:30am. You could have rode the other rides right away (before 7:30). The characters were not out yet when we walked by at 7:20am.
7:36am - Exited the line for SDD (so about 10-12 minutes from when we got to queue until we were off the ride). I think going straight to SDD is the key to not waiting in the 20-25 minute waits that people were reporting. Also, this only cut into 6 minutes of actual event time.
7:40am - Got in line for Jessie & Woody since people said early in the event would be the shortest lines. This was definitely true - the line got longer and longer as the event went on.
7:50am - Met Jessie & Woody so only a 10 minute wait (they interact a lot so even though only a few families in front of us - it does go slow).
7:54am - Got in line for Buzz.
8:06am - He took a break right as we were the next people in line (bummer!) so we actually waited longer for him than we did for W&J.
8:10am - Got in line for TSMM - never stopped walking until we got onto the ride and they let us through the FP queue so it was nice and quick
8:20am - Walking out of exit for TSMM
8:26am - AS2 - walk on
8:30am - 1/2 of the group rode SDD again and the other 1/2 rode TSMM again - about a 15 minute wait for SDD
8:50am - Exited the land - we were about 30 seconds too late unfortunately and ran smack into the RD crowd. It surprisingly wasn't hard to pass them as we stayed to the ride and they stayed to their right for the most part. Seeing the RD crowd is what made the rest of my family thank me for booking this event - I don't think you can believe it until you see it. Just so so soo many people that never seem to stop coming. So thankful to have gotten to enjoy the land for the first time with zero crowd.
9:00am - Our group split up after this: My DH and parents went to ride RnR and ToT and were done with both by 9:30 - zero waits for either of them. I took the 2 kids over to get in the Jedi Training line. This was the one bummer as my DS wanted to ride ToT but the Jedi training line was so long, we wouldn't have had time to make it all the way up there. Took us a full 30 minutes to get through it but we somehow snagged the last spot for the 11:40am show - which I thought was really early considering how many people were in line before us.
9:30am - We then split up again, 4 people rode Star Tours with a 10 minute posted wait and I took DD to Meet Olaf with a 10 minute wait.
9:45am - ABC Commisary, zero line for the hot breakfast and it was starting to empty out in there. We tried just about everything and some people got 2 entrees and we asked for fountain beverages. They still were serving food shortly after 10am and had the buffett lines opened. Everyone was really happy with their meals and we felt that we got 2 meals out of it since we had pastries and fruit earlier.

Summary: SDD (2X), AS2 (1), TSMM (1), Met Jessie, Woody, and Buzz. Our kids were 4 and 2 so I definitely think more rides would have been doable with older, faster moving kids. We also could have gotten one more ride in before leaving the land but were anxious to get a few things done before breakfast. Sorry for being long-winded - I hope it helps someone planning!

This is awesome. Thank you!

Hi everyone! My family and I are scheduled to attend this coming Wednesday, November 28. When I have checked the weather for that day, it has forecasted morning showers. Has anyone had experience with this event and rain? I’m curious to know if rides would still be available and how it would be handled. Thanks in advance for any info!

I called and asked this question and was told that only lightning would close the rides. If that happens they would compensate. He didn't go into details and I told him as long as I got a fast pass for SDD then I would be fine.

Just returned from our Thanksgiving trip and experienced our first Early Morning Magic event...at Hollywood Studios. I thought I'd share my experience, though it's similar to others here.

We did this event on Monday 11/19 and there were 8 of us total, including a 4 and 6yo who were huge Toy Story fans. We had booked the 7:30am event, but arrived probably just after 7am. They were telling us all about breakfast "around the corner" but we had our priorities. We were held at the theater waiting to head down the ramp until probably close to 7:15am or 7:20am.

Once released, we headed directly to Alien Saucers and rode that first with no wait. I wanted to ride again, but the little boys decided it wasn't for them. We spotted Woody and Jessie doing meet and greet with about 4 families in front of us, so hopped in that line and didn't wait terribly long. DH and DS got impatient so we sent them off to ride TSM while we waited.

upload_2018-11-26_12-58-29.jpeg

TOTALLY worth it for these Toy Story loving kids, dressed in their Toy Story pjs!

After this, we spotted Buzz right around the corner with pretty much NO wait...so we headed there next:

upload_2018-11-26_12-59-19.jpeg

Such GREAT character interactions with both of these. Again...worth it. After that we got in line for SDD and waited about 15 minutes maybe? We got off the ride, now it was approaching 8:30am, and the CMs at line said to us "one more chance" to which my DH said "but I thought this was until 10am" but of course the regular crowds were approaching so as soon we we got off that ride the line for SDD was really backed up. We hopped in line for TSM and waited about 20 minutes for that one. By the time we got out, it was close to 9:30am. We headed to ABC to get food. I ordered 3 entrees to share with me and my daughter, not sure what we'd like, and had some fruit which was good. The shrimp and grits was good but kinda greasy, my daughter wasn't fond of the avacado toast, and we all liked the chicken and waffle/donuts and even the chicken wasn't hard and dried it...it was quite good. We finally finished our food close to 10am and they were cleaning up but not rushing us out. It worked out very well and after seeing the line stretch out of Toy Story Land and in a self-made of tape switchback at the entrance of Toy Story Land...yeah we were thankful!

Wish we could have done more rides, but boys were all about characters and we were good with that.

Somewhat oddly I guess for Florida standards, the number of reports of EMM rain-outs over time (I'm lumping MK EMM into this comment) have been quite low. I don't 'think' I've seen any reports from DHS EMM with major rain events and any at MK EMM have been few and far between over the years. I guess that's my long-winded way of saying I'm not quite sure what will happen... but I hope things work out for you. You may just need to poncho-up, do what you can, and feel free to discuss things with guest services if weather turns out to materially impact your time and access to SDD.

Although FYI, Disney's disclaimers do note "This experience will go on rain or shine; some attraction experiences may be modified due to inclement weather" - but they generally have a decent track record of trying to do right by guests if things really go haywire.

This has been such a great thread so I thought I’d throw in our experience as well!

We went on November 21st. This was our first full day after arriving so we were dragging a bit but the experience was awesome! We arrived a bit later than we wanted to but we entered Toy Storyland at 7:35. We went straight to Alien Swirl and rode it 3 times straight. Super fun and DD (8) loved it but we all agree that Mater’s is better. After that we went over to TSMM and DD and I did that while DH did Slinky Dog. He waited about 10 minutes. Then we switched and I rode Slinky while they did TSMM. I waited 5 minutes. Then we did Alien two more times and got in line for woody/Jessie. At that point the rope drop crowd was coming in. The woody/Jessie line never moved so we abandoned it and ate breakfast. It was fine. Then we used our RnRC FP and got the heck out of HS. It was so crowded you could barely move. The line for SDD was unbelievable. We were so glad we got to experience TSL with very low crowds. Well worth the cost IMO especially during a holiday week. We really did a lot and could have done Slinky more but DD isn’t a roller coaster fan. I only wish we had done the MK one as well!

Just returned from our Thanksgiving trip and experienced our first Early Morning Magic event...at Hollywood Studios. I thought I'd share my experience, though it's similar to others here.

We did this event on Monday 11/19 and there were 8 of us total, including a 4 and 6yo who were huge Toy Story fans. We had booked the 7:30am event, but arrived probably just after 7am. They were telling us all about breakfast "around the corner" but we had our priorities. We were held at the theater waiting to head down the ramp until probably close to 7:15am or 7:20am.

Once released, we headed directly to Alien Saucers and rode that first with no wait. I wanted to ride again, but the little boys decided it wasn't for them. We spotted Woody and Jessie doing meet and greet with about 4 families in front of us, so hopped in that line and didn't wait terribly long. DH and DS got impatient so we sent them off to ride TSM while we waited.

View attachment 367035

TOTALLY worth it for these Toy Story loving kids, dressed in their Toy Story pjs!

After this, we spotted Buzz right around the corner with pretty much NO wait...so we headed there next:

View attachment 367036

Such GREAT character interactions with both of these. Again...worth it. After that we got in line for SDD and waited about 15 minutes maybe? We got off the ride, now it was approaching 8:30am, and the CMs at line said to us "one more chance" to which my DH said "but I thought this was until 10am" but of course the regular crowds were approaching so as soon we we got off that ride the line for SDD was really backed up. We hopped in line for TSM and waited about 20 minutes for that one. By the time we got out, it was close to 9:30am. We headed to ABC to get food. I ordered 3 entrees to share with me and my daughter, not sure what we'd like, and had some fruit which was good. The shrimp and grits was good but kinda greasy, my daughter wasn't fond of the avacado toast, and we all liked the chicken and waffle/donuts and even the chicken wasn't hard and dried it...it was quite good. We finally finished our food close to 10am and they were cleaning up but not rushing us out. It worked out very well and after seeing the line stretch out of Toy Story Land and in a self-made of tape switchback at the entrance of Toy Story Land...yeah we were thankful!

Wish we could have done more rides, but boys were all about characters and we were good with that.

Thanks for posting, this is pretty much going to be our plan regarding characters here! I really want to see woody and jessie!

We were at Universal Nov. 12 - 16. rain was forecasted for M - Th with probabilities as high as 100%. We were fortunate it didn't rain at all. I hope you have good luck too. As a precaution take as much rain gear as you can -- ponchos, umbrella, boots raincoats. We carried multiple ponckos, rainjacet, unbrella and water proof shoes.

View attachment 367035

View attachment 367036

We were there 11/19 also! I remember seeing your family!! It was on AS2, which we also did first thing after being let in to TSL. We’re a mom and kid family (my DD is 7), you might have seen us. We went to meet characters after doing AS2 twice (we should have only gone once as the line for Woody & Jessie was getting long when we jumped in it). After that we went to SDD.

You must have done SDD right around the time we decided to call it quits for that ride. We had been on it twice, both times with a 20 minute wait (actually the second time, I was looking at my photos, it was 19 minutes including the ride time). The line both times was backed up to just underneath the area with the roof. We were happy to do SDD but not to wait in so much of a line so chose to spend the rest of our morning riding AS2 (no wait for that at all). Sounds like maybe the line for SDD wasn’t quite as long when you got there.

I wish we hadn’t encountered such long waits as I’d read others have been able to ride several times with very minimal wait time, but it just wasn’t the case that morning. I was really glad they offered this event! HS wasn’t even on my agenda for this trip as I hadn’t been able to get FP for SDD. So when this event was announced, I was so excited. It was a great morning for us as well even with the long SDD waits, and my DD says she would do it again. So would I!

We (2 adults and a 6yr old) were there this morning. Staying at boardwalk villas so left about 6:35 and got over there in about 15-20min. Went to ABC to run to the bathroom and grab a pastry. Walked over to the holding area about 7:08 and they said they weren’t letting people in until 7:30am. Waited a few minutes and they let us in! Walked right over to SDD and got on in 5min. Next went to Aliens and rode that once then walked over and noticed woody and Jessie walking out and only 3 families in line (about 7:35). Got in like and took just about 5min. Then went over to Buzz who had 1 family in line so just a few min. Also stopped at photopass person right at entry since he had no one waiting. Next up TSMM (using FP line) and when we got to the end the guy asked if we just wanted to stay on since no one else was waiting! Said yes and rode again. Were going to do aliens again but were worried we wouldn’t get slinky In as we couldn’t get on the next one. So left that line and went to SDD which took maybe 5min. Got off and went right back on only about 5min again. After that decided to do 1 more TSMM. Got out and rope drop crowd was there. Went over to do Jedi training sign ups and long like! Got there about 9:00 and took about 30min to get up front. Got a spot for 11:40am show though!
Next went to eat and took a bit in line. Then got hot food and my husband went to buffet area and no bowls. He asked for one and was told they were closing it (about 9:50am). He was not happy. I went up and they weren’t refilling things. Barely any fruit. So that was disappointing.

Overall had a fun time and I felt like we got a lot done!
SSD 3x
Aliens 1x
TSMM 3x
Pics with Woody/Jessie, Buzz, and entrance.

Wanted to share our experience since everyone else’s had helped us!

We (2 adults and a 6yr old) were there this morning. Staying at boardwalk villas so left about 6:35 and got over there in about 15-20min. Went to ABC to run to the bathroom and grab a pastry. Walked over to the holding area about 7:08 and they said they weren’t letting people in until 7:30am. Waited a few minutes and they let us in! Walked right over to SDD and got on in 5min. Next went to Aliens and rode that once then walked over and noticed woody and Jessie walking out and only 3 families in line (about 7:35). Got in like and took just about 5min. Then went over to Buzz who had 1 family in line so just a few min. Also stopped at photopass person right at entry since he had no one waiting. Next up TSMM (using FP line) and when we got to the end the guy asked if we just wanted to stay on since no one else was waiting! Said yes and rode again. Were going to do aliens again but were worried we wouldn’t get slinky In as we couldn’t get on the next one. So left that line and went to SDD which took maybe 5min. Got off and went right back on only about 5min again. After that decided to do 1 more TSMM. Got out and rope drop crowd was there. Went over to do Jedi training sign ups and long like! Got there about 9:00 and took about 30min to get up front. Got a spot for 11:40am show though!
Next went to eat and took a bit in line. Then got hot food and my husband went to buffet area and no bowls. He asked for one and was told they were closing it (about 9:50am). He was not happy. I went up and they weren’t refilling things. Barely any fruit. So that was disappointing.

Overall had a fun time and I felt like we got a lot done!
SSD 3x
Aliens 1x
TSMM 3x
Pics with Woody/Jessie, Buzz, and entrance.

Wanted to share our experience since everyone else’s had helped us!

Sounds productive considering you did all the character meets. Glad you enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter