• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DHS to get rid of evening Extra Magic Hours?

I would argue that with tiering at DHS, EMH is even more important there than at the other parks. With less rides in a given park, access with a reasonable wait is even harder, making EMH an important tool.

Valid point. Except, if you get to DHS at opening and ride your non-fastpassed experience, you can do the whole park in 6 hours.

Valid point. Except, if you get to DHS at opening and ride your non-fastpassed experience, you can do the whole park in 6 hours.

Guess it depends what you are into - we spent the entire day there our last trip and didn't get to everything we wanted ... and due to teiring we didn't get on RNRC

Granted, we like Star Wars and have young kids so did the whole Disney JR (show and character meets). If those two things don't apply to you, then I think the park does lack attractions (though I could spend all day watching the Citizens of Hollywood)

That assumes that you only want to do each ride once. We love to re-ride the headliners. Our day at DHS wouldn't be complete if we hadn't done RnR 2 or 3 times.

Guess it depends what you are into - we spent the entire day there our last trip and didn't get to everything we wanted ... and due to teiring we didn't get on RNRC

Granted, we like Star Wars and have young kids so did the whole Disney JR (show and character meets). If those two things don't apply to you, then I think the park does lack attractions (though I could spend all day watching the Citizens of Hollywood)

Oh I could too, but that's not the point. The vets know about these little things, but day guests probably wouldn't. I could spend all day at DHS doing the little things, but if you're a first time guest then you're looking to get in and get as much under your belt as possible.

EMH at DHS just doesn't make sense right now.

Oh I could too, but that's not the point. The vets know about these little things, but day guests probably wouldn't. I could spend all day at DHS doing the little things, but if you're a first time guest then you're looking to get in and get as much under your belt as possible.

That's true - if you are just like "what are the "must dos?" - and crank out ToT, RnRC, TSMM, Star Tours, a meet and greet or two ... then, EMH aren't needed - especially with the third track at TSMM reducing standby times there

I think most parks, but the magic kingdom will get rid of the extra evening hours. Why let the hotel people in for an extended time when you can do a money grab and just charge people an extra 100 for another three hours.

Its comparable to EMH at Epcot since they only open up the first part. There are what only seven or eight rides open at that time and for an hour, So one whole park equals half of another, and then again in MK they only open half the park to early morning hours. The bonus about the extra hours a night was not only to the people who stayed on site, it was also a bonus to those who didn't because it allowed the people not staying at the park the opportunity to have those last few hours to walk through the shops and save their shopping till the end of the night, or just stroll the park instead of being herded out like cattle.

Its comparable to EMH at Epcot since they only open up the first part. There are what only seven or eight rides open at that time and for an hour, So one whole park equals half of another, and then again in MK they only open half the park to early morning hours. The bonus about the extra hours a night was not only to the people who stayed on site, it was also a bonus to those who didn't because it allowed the people not staying at the park the opportunity to have those last few hours to walk through the shops and save their shopping till the end of the night, or just stroll the park instead of being herded out like cattle.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I have stayed at park closing many times when there weren't EMH and at no time was I ever herded out like cattle. In fact the shops in the main areas of the parks stay open later in order to squeeze the last dollar out of the guest.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I have stayed at park closing many times when there weren't EMH and at no time was I ever herded out like cattle. In fact the shops in the main areas of the parks stay open later in order to squeeze the last dollar out of the guest.
It's not really the cast members, but that is what it feels like to me once the fireworks stop. The huge flow down main street of people leaving. It's like and exodus or something. I'm not saying the park turns off its lights and tells people to go home, but from the top of the train station if you watch after the fireworks its like people flowing down mainstreet like cattle in a shute. I wasn't saying Disney wants people out of the parks, but that's the feel that usually happens after fireworks. My last few trips I was a part of that crowd but this time I'll be leading and will be opting to stay and enjoy the park with a little less people in it.

It's not really the cast members, but that is what it feels like to me once the fireworks stop. The huge flow down main street of people leaving. It's like and exodus or something. I'm not saying the park turns off its lights and tells people to go home, but from the top of the train station if you watch after the fireworks its like people flowing down mainstreet like cattle in a shute. I wasn't saying Disney wants people out of the parks, but that's the feel that usually happens after fireworks. My last few trips I was a part of that crowd but this time I'll be leading and will be opting to stay and enjoy the park with a little less people in it.

Watch the fireworks from Frontierland and then just mosey your way on up to the front. We've actually done that a few times.

I understand what you are trying to say.....but we love EMH, especially since we typically stay at BC. Tour another park, come back to the resort and rest, and head over to DHS for some late night fun.

(rant)If they are going to start cutting EMH then they should remove it from the "why stay on property" advertising materials and reduce the room rate to reflect the cuts.

I understand what you are trying to say.....but we love EMH, especially since we typically stay at BC. Tour another park, come back to the resort and rest, and head over to DHS for some late night fun.

(rant)If they are going to start cutting EMH then they should remove it from the "why stay on property" advertising materials and reduce the room rate to reflect the cuts.

I love EMH too and I agree that if you're going to cut EMH at DHS then you should ramp it up elsewhere if you're going to advertise this as a perk of staying on property. I don't like it, I just understand it.

Honestly the extra magic hours is a plus to stay on property. Disneyland is based on where you stay OR the number of days on your ticket. I would think that Epcot would be more economical to add the hours at the end since the whole land area doesn't open till 11. Most is for shopping and that's money in their pocket, but also more people to pay. It all comes down to money and making as much as they can to cover the cost of the new Tokyo that was over budget and not bringing people in. If they have to staff the whole park, not just the rides, people are usually not eating a lot at that time of night, and the crowds don't sustain the park, its hard to justify the cost. Don't get me wrong. I love the extra hours and I use them, but I can also see the business side of things.

I'm not surprised that there was low demand for evening EMH at HS. The way they set them up made them useless for us because the EMH took place during Fantasmic. If memory serves, when we were there last year, park closed at 7 and Fantasmic was at 7:30. EMH were something like 7-9 (or 7-8:30?)By the time Fantasmic was over and we were out of the theater, EMH were nearly over, also. Since Fantasmic is possibly my favorite attraction at WDW, I'm not missing it for EMH. I imagine others felt the same way.

Love EMH at WDW, but can't enjoy them if they coincide with showtimes. No wonder there was low demand.

Honestly the extra magic hours is a plus to stay on property. Disneyland is based on where you stay OR the number of days on your ticket. I would think that Epcot would be more economical to add the hours at the end since the whole land area doesn't open till 11. Most is for shopping and that's money in their pocket, but also more people to pay. It all comes down to money and making as much as they can to cover the cost of the new Tokyo that was over budget and not bringing people in. If they have to staff the whole park, not just the rides, people are usually not eating a lot at that time of night, and the crowds don't sustain the park, its hard to justify the cost. Don't get me wrong. I love the extra hours and I use them, but I can also see the business side of things.

I wish, wish, wish Epcot stayed open later than 9 on it regular operating schedule. I LOVE the World Showcase after Illuminations. So many restaurants!! So many places to grab a drink and a conversation. Seems like such a wasted opportunity to always shut it down at 9 :(

I wish, wish, wish Epcot stayed open later than 9 on it regular operating schedule. I LOVE the World Showcase after Illuminations. So many restaurants!! So many places to grab a drink and a conversation. Seems like such a wasted opportunity to always shut it down at 9 :(
That's what I've thought. Especially with the wine bars, tequila places, beer hall. There were many a night pre-kid that the wife and I wanted to just stick around in Germany, talk with others, enjoy another liter or two and listen to the band.

I hope they bring it back though when there are more rides.

I have always enjoyed the extra hours in the evening at all resorts. Something magical about Disney at night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter