DHS low crowds 8/15

havoc315

DIS Veteran
I was in shock at the low crowds today. Typical August weather, hot and humid. Brief rain in the afternoon. Nothing that typically scares away summer crowds.

We got there early for rope drop. Long afternoon break.
So all rides were done: 8:30-11:15, and 6:45-8:45.

So in just under 5 hours in active touring:
Runaway Railroad
Smuggler’s Run
Toy Story Mania
(My daughter did TOT while adults got Starbucks)
Rise of the Resistance - BG25 at 10:25
Star Tours

Then after break,In evening
Toy Story Mania second time
Smuggler’s Run, second time
Saucers
Slinky Dog
TOT (second time for my daughter)

Longest line: Slinky Dog at 8pm, listed as 45 minutes, actual wait was 15-20.
NOTHING else was more than 5-10 minutes.

I was in shock at the low crowds today. Typical August weather, hot and humid. Brief rain in the afternoon. Nothing that typically scares away summer crowds.

We got there early for rope drop. Long afternoon break.
So all rides were done: 8:30-11:15, and 6:45-8:45.

So in just under 5 hours in active touring:
Runaway Railroad
Smuggler’s Run
Toy Story Mania
(My daughter did TOT while adults got Starbucks)
Rise of the Resistance - BG25 at 10:25
Star Tours

Then after break,In evening
Toy Story Mania second time
Smuggler’s Run, second time
Saucers
Slinky Dog
TOT (second time for my daughter)

Longest line: Slinky Dog at 8pm, listed as 45 minutes, actual wait was 15-20.
NOTHING else was more than 5-10 minutes.
It was low everywhere yesterday, I saw FOP at 15 minutes in the afternoon at one point. Also RoTR was a walkon late in the day, without a BG. That's pretty awesome!

Visited the parks just this past Thursday-Sunday, the crowds were lower than they have been. We have been to Disney since they re-opened in September, November and January. Now August. This was by far the least amount of people for the trips we have taken.

I'm a little freaked out about the Delta variant in Orlando too but feeling a bit better knowing crowds are lower than expected. Keep up the trend for our trip and we will be able to walk onto everything!

Kids starting to return to school in some areas of the world, delta variant increasing (not a political statement, just a fact), summertime months winding down....... this is expected.

Kids starting to return to school in some areas of the world, delta variant increasing (not a political statement, just a fact), summertime months winding down....... this is expected.

RotR walk on without a BG? Uh, yeah, no, that's not expected.

I wish it was like that when we were there last week. I couldn't wait to get out of that park as I've never seen it so busy. We got our Boarding Group on the first try, so we exchanged our second DHS day for Epcot. Normally we enjoy that park, but it was just nuts last Tuesday. The other parks weren't so bad but MK was pretty crowded on the first day of Boo Bash. Our other MK day had pretty low crowds. AK was probably the least crowded of the four parks last week :tiptoe: I know Florida schools went back in session last week and there was a noticeable difference in crowd levels. I think for local families, they went to Disney as a last hurrah for the summer, before kids went back to class ;)

I think people are starting to cancel due to the Delta variant... Orlando has lots of cases and it's freaking people out.
They must have had an epiphany about Delta, because it sure didn't scare them last away last week. Another explanation was that Florida schools started last week and probably other places as well. I'd like to think people were being extra cautious about Delta, like you said :scratchin It's about time :stir:

Last edited:
Kids are back to school - that's the reason.

That’s the reason things normally drop in mid August. But this is a much bigger than normal drop. Crowds are now lower than they were in January and February. There are reports of massive cancellations at Disney resorts.

And honestly — August heat and humidity with masks is pretty miserable and uncomfortable.

I think it’s schools, Delta, but also the trajectory of two hurricanes/tropical storms bearing down towards Florida.

A….perfect storm…if you will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter