Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Sweet as can be

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • either - they're deviled eggs - either way so they are awesome

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Eeew, who eats deviled eggs?

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
mine is based on the Better Homes and Garden's cookbook recipe, too (mayo, yellow mustard, and vinegar)... but we add a little salt, pepper and sweet pickle relish. I definitely wouldn't call them sweet (and definitely no sugar added), but they're not spicy.

I just throw some Cheez-its in a bag and bash it with a rolling pin. You don't want Cheez-it dust, just smallish pieces. Then fold it into the egg mixture. We all love it. Been making them this way for at least 30 years.
THANK YOU!!
Last year I added a small sprig of dill to the top of each deviled egg. I thought it looked festive to have the green against the red paprika. And it tasted good too.
Dill is what I use to top mine (not paprika). So pretty and tasty!

I have never heard of putting sugar in deviled eggs, only savory. I consider the "devil" to be whatever you use for the "zip". I use a little bit of vinegar for that, and sometimes a little horseradish and/or brown mustard. Otherwise it's just mayo, salt, and pepper.

Last edited:

I've never heard of putting sugar in deviled eggs. But my grandma used to add a little sugar to her scrambled eggs. Maybe it would be a similar taste. Unfortunately I'm not willing to sacrifice a batch just to try it out.

Neither spicy nor sweet. Been eating deviled eggs 40 years, and never made them at home to be spicy or sweet. Maybe for a novelty , will have something like that in a restaurant.never heard of putting sugar in them.
I’m making them for thanksgiving . Eggs, mayo, yellow and dijon mustard, dill relish . Paprika on top. DH likes to add vinegar, I usually don’t.sometimes my mom used sweet relish instead of dil, sometimes I’ll add a smidge of celery salt .
We have deviled very often . DH made some yesterday, and use Kewpie mayo. That was a bit tangy and good.

We use mayo, a splash of worcestershire, yellow mustard and crushed cheez-its. Wouldn't be a major holiday without them.

I can't imagine sweet deviled eggs.
Just circling back - went to store, obtained cheezits. Crushed up, mixed with mayo, mustard, Worcestershire. Filled my eggs, topped with dill. Didn't tell anyone what I did, other than trying a new recipe.

HUGE hit! Love the texture and flavor it gives them.

Thanks for passing on this tidbit! They want me to try with dill pickle chips next!

Just circling back - went to store, obtained cheezits. Crushed up, mixed with mayo, mustard, Worcestershire. Filled my eggs, topped with dill. Didn't tell anyone what I did, other than trying a new recipe.

HUGE hit! Love the texture and flavor it gives them.

Thanks for passing on this tidbit! They want me to try with dill pickle chips next!
Love it! I'm so glad you are enjoying it.

The dill pickle chips sound great. Can't wait for your review!

Up until my 30s when I joined my husband's family, deviled eggs were served as a slightly spicy to very spicy egg. One of the main ingredients was powdered mustard which added greatly to the spiciness. Dad would also add a dash of Tabasco and my recipe includes a touch of cayenne pepper. My eggs are not jalapeno ot but they do have a little bite to them.

The in-laws, on the other hand, use yellow mustard which is much milder and they add sugar to the mixture. I also did not notice any vinegar so I am guessing it is pretty much egg yolk, mayonnaise, mustard and sugar. (my in-laws do not do spice at all)

I argue that these are not deviled eggs because the name "deviled eggs" comes from the fact that the eggs are hot like Hades.

So, deviled eggs.. spicy or sweet?

Other:

Savory.

At the risk of having my Native Southerner card revoked, I will admit that I have never in my life eaten a deviled egg; because I can't eat eggs on their own, only in baked goods. (For some reason, whole eggs always upset my stomach.)

However, I thought that the denizens of this thread might be interested that this month's Southern Living has a feature on them, which includes 24 recipes, including a couple that are, of all things, deep-fried: https://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/deviled-egg-recipes

Deviled eggs are my aunt's signature dish and she used to make them for my uncle every morning for breakfast before my uncle went to work and for some reason I never understood why my aunt liked to make deviled eggs. But once when my aunt and uncle and cousins visited us for a vacation my aunt made deviled eggs for my mom and dad and according to my aunt she would put drops of hot sauce like Tiana does in The Princess And The Frog and my dad took a bite and thought they were too spicy. My aunt then passed the recipe of deviled eggs to my grandmother and my grandmother started cooking them too

Mine are rather simple compared to a lot of the recipes here. Hellman’s Mayo, brown mustard (or yellow if I don’t have any in the house,) s/p, crumbled bacon folded into the mix and a few crumbles on top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter