Votes: 4 7.5%
  • either - they're deviled eggs - either way so they are awesome

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Eeew, who eats deviled eggs?

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

china mom

DIS Veteran
Up until my 30s when I joined my husband's family, deviled eggs were served as a slightly spicy to very spicy egg. One of the main ingredients was powdered mustard which added greatly to the spiciness. Dad would also add a dash of Tabasco and my recipe includes a touch of cayenne pepper. My eggs are not jalapeno ot but they do have a little bite to them.

The in-laws, on the other hand, use yellow mustard which is much milder and they add sugar to the mixture. I also did not notice any vinegar so I am guessing it is pretty much egg yolk, mayonnaise, mustard and sugar. (my in-laws do not do spice at all)

I argue that these are not deviled eggs because the name "deviled eggs" comes from the fact that the eggs are hot like Hades.

So, deviled eggs.. spicy or sweet?

Last edited:

Mine are more savory I guess. I make them the way my mom does -- dijon mustard, mayo, egg yolk, curry powder, salt and pepper, sweet pickles finely chopped. Then topped with a dusting of paprika. I always get compliments and am asked to bring them for various holidays.

Deviled eggs are a must for every holiday and celebration in our family. I always host and do all the cooking. Our deviled eggs are savory just like my grandmother used to make. Never had a spicy one but I can see where it could work...but my family would not be happy. Sweet is just a no for me. My DHs family makes them sweet and I'm not a fan.

My ex-SIL used to make them with miracle whip and french dressing. That's it. Sweet on sweet, no other flavor. My DH tried them once and, to be nice, said they were good...so she made them each time we were getting together.

Current SIL uses miracle whip, too, so I don't eat those, either, but at least she uses some mustard.

Maybe spicy was too strong of a word. Maybe savory would have been a better term. but I like a little bit of bite and definitely NOT sugar.

I remember one time I made them for my son's first birthday and my in laws freaked out because I was letting DS eat them. Apparently, they were not too spicy for 1 year old. He was gobbling them up. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter