Destination D23, 8-10 Sep 2023 @ WDW's CR

Fun example of the power of Jeff Vahle,

For those that don't know, their offices are the old animation offices. They're pretty posh and centrally located on property with good parking.

Imagine refusing to expand your smallest theme park because one of your middle managers doesn't want to move offices?

That's just one example. I've heard some stories over the dumbest things (cough, trams, cough).

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 7.58.28 PM.png

If they did this at AK.... going to really impact the fact that AK already has so few attractions to begin with. Clearly they'd have to phase things so not all of Dinoland (Dino-Ram, Dinosaur, Bone Yard) would be down the same time as Tree of Life.

But in the end that's what I really don't get, why can't they just add a new land that nets them several new attractions?

But I also wonder about adding more animals and enclosers to the front of the park. How will that affect having later hours at AK?

Imagine a perfectly themed village like Anandapur and Harambe, lush rainforest foliage, an animal trail with jaguars, capybaras, anacondas, alpacas, etc.
When's the last time you went down jungle trek and found more than a handful of people walking the trails. I just don't think people want to pay $$$ to go to a zoo and that's basically what your describing. Animal Kingdom needs more rides and attractions that appeal to more people. I love a good zoo but not when I'm paying the price I'm paying to get into Animal Kingdom, I expect a whole lot more than trails with animals.

When's the last time you went down jungle trek and found more than a handful of people walking the trails. I just don't think people want to pay $$$ to go to a zoo and that's basically what your describing. Animal Kingdom needs more rides and attractions that appeal to more people. I love a good zoo but not when I'm paying the price I'm paying to get into Animal Kingdom, I expect a whole lot more than trails with animals.

I dunno - last time I wanted to do it, the path was so crowded, I just sort of worked my way through to the end quickly. It can indeed get very busy in there!

I would like to see animals from the tropical Americas. Maybe they can makes these trails smaller or do something different to make them see less out of the way. I like the animals we see coming into the park heading to the Tree of Life, maybe a smaller version of with Tapirs or something like that and also on the way entering the new area?

I dunno - last time I wanted to do it, the path was so crowded, I just sort of worked my way through to the end quickly. It can indeed get very busy in there!
you must be going at different times than me because it's never busy when I'm there.

Animal Kingdom is by far the least attended of the 4 parks for a reason. It's just not a very exciting theme park at the moment. I know there's people love it and that's fine but on avg it's most people's skip or half day park. If they want to make Animal Kingdom a must attend then it's going to have to be more than some foliage and animals. I'm good with adding some animals like the entrance but that can't be the main attraction of the land. Also, Re theming an existing ride don't count.

Animal Kingdom is by far the hottest park imagine if they make a rainforest type land. I'm going to need extra neck fans.

Last edited:
I would like to see animals from the tropical Americas. Maybe they can makes these trails smaller or do something different to make them see less out of the way. I like the animals we see coming into the park heading to the Tree of Life, maybe a smaller version of with Tapirs or something like that and also on the way entering the new area?
This is where an Encanto tie-in can work. Do a walkthrough of Antonio’s room with exhibits of animals from the Tropical Americas. Will Disney do this, probably not.

This is where an Encanto tie-in can work. Do a walkthrough of Antonio’s room with exhibits of animals from the Tropical Americas. Will Disney do this, probably not.
This would be super cool. I would really love a Mystic Manor style ride for the actual Casita "tour", plot can be either a classic look at the magic type ride or in the same style as Mystic Manor maybe Mirabel needs help with something/fixing something. And then have a "backstage tour" where you get to walkthrough Antonio's room!!

There is sooo much potential to do something amazing with this.

you must be going at different times than me because it's never busy when I'm there.

Animal Kingdom is by far the least attended of the 4 parks for a reason. It's just not a very exciting theme park at the moment. I know there's people love it and that's fine but on avg it's most people's skip or half day park. If they want to make Animal Kingdom a must attend then it's going to have to be more than some foliage and animals. I'm good with adding some animals like the entrance but that can't be the main attraction of the land. Also, Re theming an existing ride don't count.

Animal Kingdom is by far the hottest park imagine if they make a rainforest type land. I'm going to need extra neck fans.

That's the thing with anecdotal "evidence" - it's not really indicative of anything. I have seen it when it's not crowded too, but it can be crowded as well. Everyone's own experience may vary.

All the speculation and examination around Blue Sky projects is loads of fun, but honestly, does anybody really believe that TWDC is going to pump $10B into DLR, MK and DAK for expansions? Early word is that it may cost TWDC $9B - $13B to buy Hulu. Domestic construction of new or reimagined lands/overhauls will cost multiple billions of dollars.

TWDC is heavily investing billions in streaming, shows for streaming and buying companies to expand content for streaming. Certainly, not park expansion. And, TWDC will find an excuse why parks aren't expanding meanwhile meanwhile it expands other areas of entertainment, movie studios, DCL, etc.

It's nice when GM will pay for a TT update. Or, it's nice when the CCP will help kick in the costs for a Zootopia land. Instead of Cherry Tree Lane or Disneyland Forward, guests are getting Galactic Starcruiser, DLH DVC, more POLY DVC, more GF DVC, FW cabin updates, etc. This stuff is fun too, but it's not the same for me as expanded or new lands.

Also, given the amount of time TWDC takes to build out attractions and lands, I'm not expecting any new expansion of lands for 10 years, more or less. So, all the fun park expansion announcements in the world don't really have any meaning to me, because it all feels too theoretical and remote for me.

I hate being the downer here.

Why not both?

I agree that adding a new Tropical America without a new e-ticket ride would be a colossal failure. But rides alone, without careful attention to theming (both of the ride and the surroundings) aren't much better. Disney is never going to outdo the competition when it comes to thrill rides. Disney's edge comes from putting the "theme" in "theme park."

Pandora has amazing theming, in addition to FOP. Africa has amazing theming, in addition to KS. Asia has amazing theming, in addition to EE.

If Disney is going to add a new continent to Animal Kingdom --- and I think that they should --- that continent should be as fully and impressively themed and developed as the other continents. One part of that, I think, is remembering the "animals" in "Animal Kingdom." Not as a glorified stand-alone zoo. But as part of a true and unique theme park.

Retheming Dinosaur to Indiana Jones is fine. Low hanging fruit, since the track system is the same and that ride already exists in another park. But it's just a start. Perhaps the new Encanto ride is the e-ticket. Perhaps the Encanto ride is more of a crowd eater, to go along with a new e-ticket ride (maybe rain-forest-themed, or Machu-Pichu-themed, or Carnival-themed, who knows?).

But I think a shiny new ride, on its own, would be a half-a**ed addition to a park that stands out for its combination of rides, shows, animals, restaurants, and --- most importantly --- overall immersive cultural theming.

Maybe it's ridiculously naive to think that Disney would invest those sorts of resources in this day and age. But I think they should. And Pandora and Galaxy's Edge --- while far from perfect --- provide at least some cause for optimism.

AK was second most attend park after Pandora opened. It took StarWars and Toy Story at DS and Ratatouille and Guardians at EP to move AK back down. Hopefully Disney has learned that keeping things fresh drives attendance. I was surprised by how badly theme park attendance got gutted during COVID. There is also a bit of Disney shifting to catering to high spenders over cramming the parks with as many visitors as possible.

https://www.statista.com/statistics... States,most visited amusement park worldwide.

After the Chepek hire I consider the Skyliner Disney's biggest misstep. Two enormous properties funneled on to one transportation system that picks up two more properties along the way to half the parks and gets shutdown in bad weather when afternoon tropical storms are a regular thing for at least half of the year. Not good Bob. It's terrible in morning peak hours and wonderfully efficient in off hours. 45 minute lines in the morning to get on at AoA/Pop station when food service doesn't open until 7am! That's not getting you to rope drop. The Pop used to be great for there was a bus every 5-10 minutes to every park in the morning and back after parks' close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter