Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation, a Diamond Level Experience! - Completed!

Oh my! I so wish I had been there in person. That would have been an absolutely rivetting session to be in.

Loving the vicarious living through your post! :thumbsup2

What a fantastic amount of history and Disney information. Hanging on by the edge of my seat. And yes, Marge looks great at 93.

Amazing pictures from the presentation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was a lot of things that I didn't know about the movie and glad to see and hear about it during the presentation.

Very nice update.

Neat update! Snow White is one of my favorites. I think it can hold its own even in today's market.

Love the sketches, especially of the dress. What a fascinating afternoon of information. Thank you for taking copious amounts of notes and sharing them all with us.

Oh my! I so wish I had been there in person. That would have been an absolutely rivetting session to be in.

Loving the vicarious living through your post! :thumbsup2

What a fantastic amount of history and Disney information. Hanging on by the edge of my seat. And yes, Marge looks great at 93.

The entire weekend was riveting to sit through! Although I do have to admit that after 14 hours in that seat, I was starting to fade.

I agree with PIO - it is amazing, and wonderful!

Thanks! :goodvibes

Amazing pictures from the presentation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was a lot of things that I didn't know about the movie and glad to see and hear about it during the presentation.

Very nice update.

You should check out the exhibit (which is my next update), I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Neat update! Snow White is one of my favorites. I think it can hold its own even in today's market.

Love the sketches, especially of the dress. What a fascinating afternoon of information. Thank you for taking copious amounts of notes and sharing them all with us.

You're welcome! :)

DSCN6783.jpg

So evidently the WD Family Museum acquired more space in a building located behind the main exhibit building. It was about 40,000 square feet of an addition and is a nice size for special exhibits. The Snow White exhibit opened in early November, but not early enough for a group of DIS friends of mine who had a meet at the museum.

DSCN6785.jpg

Gabrielle Caliccho the CEO of the Museum was on stage for the discussion.

For those who haven’t been to the museum yet they talked about the main museum facilities for a bit.

DSCN6786.jpg

A picture of a young Walt Disney that is on display in the museum

DSCN6787.jpg

An artist’s rendering of the museum (not quite sure why they showed us this one!)

DSCN6788.jpg

This is one of the cooler parts of the museum the walkway descends from the entrance at the top of the room and the panels along the side sort of outline the formation of Disneyland and how it came together for Walt and at the bottom of the walkway is a display of “Walt’s Disneyland”. Not any one point in the park’s history, but all the things that Walt worked on, saw, touched and dreamed up.

DSCN6789.jpg

Here they are showing photos from some other galleries in the museum.

DSCN6790.jpg

I guess they redesigned the website….

DSCN6791.jpg

I imagine that this was the exhibit that was going on while the Destination-D was going on.

DSCN6792.jpg

These are the Exhibitions coming this year.

DSCN6794.jpg

This is the special exhibit that is currently displayed at the museum. Now this part, I’m recalling from what we saw the day before Christmas Eve. Don’t flame me if my memory is wrong! :rotfl:

DSCN6795.jpg

Some of the elements in the first part of the special exhibit show where Walt Disney got his inspiration, some of which came from the original German publications from the Brother’s Grimm.

DSCN6796.jpg

These pictures were on display, I specifically remember the caption stating that they used actresses of the day in their concept work. Does anyone else notice a resemblance to Kathryn Hepburn in one of these images? Fran didn't think so, but I did.

DSCN6797.jpg

And the evil queen in all her glory.

DSCN6798.jpg

These sketches were to set the mood for the Huntsman scene.

DSCN6800.jpg

At the museum they had an extensive segment on the forest part of the story. They showed a few different artist conceptions. One thing that Walt was clear on was the forest could not be scary. It had to appear scary to Snow White in the dark, but it has to become a happy place for her to live, so it had to be clear that it was only her perception that it was scary. They also had sketches where the wood floating in the stream resembled crocodiles in addition to the trees taking on ghoulish features.

DSCN6801.jpg

The idea that the animals could understand Snow White and that they could communicate with each other was rather a far fetched idea at that time. Today it’s natural that woodland creatures talk and have thoughts, but back then the artists had to be very convincing since the animals could only communicate through gestures.

DSCN6802.jpg

The backgrounds of the picture were very carefully designed for use with the multiplane camera. Before color was added detailed sketches were drawn to ensure that every detail was perfect.

DSCN6803.jpg

Through the years of development the dwarves evolved quite a bit. When they first were drawn, they were very funny looking little men. They had very odd looking faces and bodies, and almost looked mean. Over time their features were softened into the characters we know today. Also their cottage took quite a bit of thought. At the exhibit there were several examples of artist renderings before they finally settled on one similar to the cottage depicted here.

DSCN6804.jpg

You can see what I mean about the dwarves evolving in this picture. Also Snow White was a blonde for a while in the concepts until they finally settled on the black hair with the bow. The red box was for the camera and story board so that you know where the focus of the scene is supposed to be.

DSCN6805.jpg

These are some of the sketches for the soup slurping scene that I mentioned several updates back in the “Best Animation you never saw” segment. Also notice the notes over the dwarves, “Doc is about ¼ head taller than the other dwarfs” “Grumpy is average size of dwarfs” Even with enlarging the picture, I can’t read what it says about Dopey.

DSCN6806.jpg

I’m sure that this picture of Dopey was drawn as part of one of the “gags” that Walt encouraged his animators to draw, but did not make into the movie. This sketch of the dwarves for the Silly Song was one of many that they had on display.

DSCN6807.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

There was an entire wall dedicated to the Evil Queen, her lair and how that added to her personality.

DSCN6808.jpg

Everything that appears in her “laboratory” is carefully calculated and placed in the film.

DSCN6809.jpg

What they didn’t show in this part of the presentation, but I thought was incredibly fascinating was the thought that they put behind the transformation of Evil Queen. One specific thing that was mentioned was that it was incredibly painful to make the transformation and they wanted the viewer to realize that through the emotions and other animation. Here is the transformed queen.

DSCN6810.jpg

There was also an entire section dedicated to the Evil Queen’s journey to deliver the apple and how forbodeing it was. One of the challenges of this story is that it was very dark and scary so Walt had to mix in other scenes to lighten the mood from these dark and morbid scenes.

DSCN6811.jpg

As the dwarves chase the Evil Queen to her eventual demise, the scenes are still eerie dark and forboding.

DSCN6812.jpg

DSCN6813.jpg

In these storyboard sketches you see how the camera shifts from the animals looking in on Snow White to the scene of her in bed and then zooms out to show the dwarves at her bedside.

DSCN6814.jpg

Evidently, they didn’t really know how to draw “pretty” masculine features for the prince so most of the shots of him are from behind. They took a beating in the press for downplaying the prince’s role so much that he was pretty much a cameo in the picture. This was made right in future films as Walt never forgot that.

DSCN6815.jpg

They had a whole idea for Snow White and the prince to be transported off into this “stars in the skies” type of place, but part of the problem was that they just couldn’t draw the prince quite right. And the fact that it really didn’t further the story either.

DSCN6816.jpg

They made Walt a “special” Oscar which was presented by Shirley Temple. You can see this on display in the foyer of the museum. However, it is now over in the Snow White exhibit while that it being featured.

DSCN6817.jpg

Essentially this was just one BIG commercial for the museum. However, if you are in San Francisco in the next few months, I would highly urge you to go see it. It was quite good.

DSCN6818.jpg

DSCN6819.jpg

Wow! That concludes the “seminar” portion of the D23 event. However don’t fear! I still have the Concert with Alan Menken (though I can’t let you actually hear the music) to report on. I can tell you about the songs he sang and the stories that he told us. Then there is the “Diamond Level” part of the experience. Sitting in the front row wasn’t the only reason we paid through the nose to attend this event. The next day we spend the day at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank!

Lovely session on Snow White. I love the Dopey sketch sawing the tree limb.:rotfl:

Lovely update, all of the details and inside information is so wonderful, I have learned so much reading thru your two different events.

Thanks for all the wonderful information.

Can't wait to hear about Burbank! My friend's hubby worked there. While he liked the job, the commute was horrible. :scared1:

Shirley Temple. I'm sad my kids don't enjoy her films. Classic. Loved her.

And you've got 16 days until your trip to WDW! :cool1: :woohoo:

I kept meaning to come back and look at these updates on the computer. The phone just doesn't work. Those evil queen segments always scared me. It's amazing how much work goes into one of these movies. Absolutely fascinating!

WOW! Great promo for the WDFM. I wish my timing worked out better so that we could have caught the Snow White displays.

Ah well.....

Great update. Thanks for sharing.

Lovely session on Snow White. I love the Dopey sketch sawing the tree limb.:rotfl:

At the exhibit they had all sorts of gags, mostly involving Dopey.

Lovely update, all of the details and inside information is so wonderful, I have learned so much reading thru your two different events.

Thanks for all the wonderful information.

You're welcome. Another update is coming soon.

Can't wait to hear about Burbank! My friend's hubby worked there. While he liked the job, the commute was horrible. :scared1:

Shirley Temple. I'm sad my kids don't enjoy her films. Classic. Loved her.

And you've got 16 days until your trip to WDW! :cool1: :woohoo:

Sadly, I haven't seen many of her movies either.

I kept meaning to come back and look at these updates on the computer. The phone just doesn't work. Those evil queen segments always scared me. It's amazing how much work goes into one of these movies. Absolutely fascinating!

It's amazing the insight that Walt had.

At the exhibit they had all sorts of gags, mostly involving Dopey.

You're welcome. Another update is coming soon.

Sadly, I haven't seen many of her movies either.

It's amazing the insight that Walt had.

As a kid I was a huge Shirley Temple, Bing Crosby, and Lucille Ball fan. Born in the wrong era I was.

So after Snow White we headed back to the room. As usual Fran laid down for a nap and I checked the DIS and other online stuff. This is what I had for dinner.

DSCN6820.jpg

I believe that the concert started at 8PM and the doors opened at 7:30. One of the reasons that we paid for Diamond level admission is that this is what everyone else waited in to get into the show floor. If you look carefully at the floor you will see that taped on the floor are clear lines for people to wait in for the show. You can bet that each one of those lines that you see at the front, goes clear to the back of the room.

DSCN6821.jpg

DSCN6822.jpg

This was the diamond level line. This clump is the front of the line.

DSCN6824.jpg

And then it extended back from there. Only 100 people or so were diamond level.

DSCN6825.jpg

Finally we were seated.

DSCN6826.jpg

Steven Clark introduced our entertainer for the night.

DSCN6832.jpg

And the Man, Alan Menken, evidently the lights were rather bright.

DSCN6835.jpg

He immediately sat down at the piano and began playing, singing and introducing the numbers that he was going to play.

DSCN6838.jpg

His first musical was an “Off Broadway” production called God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, an adaptation of a Kurt Vonnegut novel. This was one his first collaborations with Harold Ashman who later become his long time writing partner.

DSCN6842.jpg

This was well received, but three years later he achieved much more success with the Off Broadway Musical Little Shop of Horrors on which Ashman also collaborated. From this show he sang all sort of tunes, of course the Main Title Song.

DSCN6844.jpg

But he also sang Somewhere That’s Green, Dentist, Suddenly Seymour, Feed Me, perhaps some others that escape my mind.

DSCN6845.jpg

DSCN6846.jpg

DSCN6847.jpg

DSCN6848.jpg

DSCN6849.jpg

Ashman wrote the screenplay for the 1986 Marvin Hamlisch musical Smile, so he played a couple numbers from that show. I don’t remember which ones as it’s not a real familiar musical to me.

DSCN6851.jpg

Then he moved on to his best-known works, those with Disney. His first Disney feature that he worked on with Ashman was The Little Mermaid. From this feature he sang Part of your World, Under the Sea, Poor Unfortunate Souls and probably more.

DSCN6852.jpg

DSCN6853.jpg

DSCN6854.jpg

DSCN6855.jpg

He talked to us about writing the music and how it came to be that Sebastian was Jamaican. I don’t quite remember, but he had the melody in his mind and just thought how cool it would be to have a calypso tune in there to lighten the mood. It had nothing to do with the story line, but it totally changed the film. He also mentioned about how he received two Oscars for this film and he was feeling pretty darned good about working for Disney at that point. However, this was right around the time that they also learned that Ashman was diagnosed with AIDS. Ashman had been working on a pet project called, Alladin but agreed to sign on with Menken to work on Beauty and the Beast. To accommodate Ashman's failing health, pre-production of Beauty and the Beast was moved from London to the Residence Inn in Fishkill, New York, close to Ashman's New York City home

DSCN6856.jpg

Since the original story had only two major characters, the filmmakers enhanced them, added new characters in the form of enchanted household items who "add warmth and comedy to a gloomy story" and guide the audience through the film, and added a "real villain" in the form of Gaston. The animated objects were, however, given distinct personalities in the Disney version. By early 1990, Katzenberg had approved the revised script, and storyboarding began again. The production flew story artists back and forth between California and New York for storyboard approvals from Ashman, though the team was not told the reason why.

DSCN6857.jpg

"Human Again" was dropped from the film before animation began, as its lyrics caused story problems about the timeline over which the story takes place. This required Ashman and Menken to write a new song in its place. "Something There", in which Belle and Beast sing (via voiceover) of their growing fondness for each other, was composed late in production and inserted into the script in place of "Human Again". Menken would later revise "Human Again" for inclusion in the 1994 Broadway stage version of Beauty and the Beast, and another revised version of the song was added to the film itself in a new sequence created for the film's Special Edition re-release in 2002.

I think he included this song in the medley that he sang which also had Belle, Gaston, Beauty and the Beast, Be Our Guest as well. Ashman died of AIDS-related complications on March 14, 1991, eight months prior to the release of the film. He never saw the finished film, members of the film's production team visited him after the film's well-received first screening, with Don Hahn commenting that "the film would be a great success. Who'd have thought it?", to which Ashman replied with "I would." A tribute to the lyricist was included at the end of the credits crawl: "To our friend, Howard, who gave a mermaid her voice, and a beast his soul. We will be forever grateful. Howard Ashman: 1950–1991".

DSCN6859.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

Aladdin had been pitched to the executives at Disney by Ashman and Menken and after comparing it with two other productions, Aladdin ended up becoming the next motion picture. One of the other screenplays ended up becoming The Lion King and the other was an adaptation of Swan Lake.

DSCN6861.jpg

Ashman and Menken wrote 14 songs for Aladdin, but in the end only three of their songs were used. Harold Ashman passed away before production on Aladdin was completed and Tim Rice was brought in to help finish the lyrics.

DSCN6862.jpg

He sang quite a few songs including Arabian Nights, Prince Ali, Friend Like Me, A Whole New World, and I’m sure a few others, but I don’t remember. This was a GREAT movie and big part of my life, these tunes put me in tears, as if I wasn’t already there.

DSCN6863.jpg

The movie ended up winning two more Oscars and by this point, Menken was thinking, “You write a score for Disney and you get a couple Academy Awards.” It just seemed that easy!

The next show that he sang some songs from was Newsies. I’m not really familiar with this show, so I can’t tell you what he sang. They were all pleasing enough, and I’m glad that the show is having a new rebirth on Broadway.

DSCN6864.jpg

The Broadway version of Beauty and the Beast had quite a few songs added for the stage production.

DSCN6868.jpg

I can’t remember if he sang multiple numbers from the stage production, but some of those songs were No Matter What, Wolf Chase, Me, Home, The Battle and Transformation.

DSCN6869.jpg

For the 1998 version of the show they also added a song A Change in Me. I know that he did sing that song from the show.

DSCN6871.jpg

Pocohontas was his last big double Oscar Winner which makes Alan Menken the second most Oscarized winner in the music category after Alfred Newman who has nine Oscars. From this show he sang, Just Around the Riverbend, Colors of the Wind and probably a few others.

DSCN6872.jpg

He also worked on Hunchback of Notre Dame, where he was nominated for an Oscar. Unfortunately the songs from this movie escape me, but I know he sang a medley of these as well.

DSCN6873.jpg

DSCN6874.jpg

Apart from Disney he did a musical on A Christmas Carol and he shared a few numbers from this musical as well.

DSCN6875.jpg

He was also nominated for an Oscar for Hercules. There were several catchy numbers that he sang from this, including Zero to Hero, Go the Distance, The Gospel Truth and others.

DSCN6876.jpg

DSCN6877.jpg

DSCN6878.jpg

King David is a musical that I was not at all familiar with. He played a few selections from this, but since I didn’t know any of the songs, I don’t remember which ones he played!

DSCN6879.jpg

Alan Menken actually wrote five songs for “Who Discovered Roger Rabbit” a sequel to “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” This Only Happens in the Movies. The only time that it was recorded was in 2008 on the debut album of Broadway actress Kerry Butler.

DSCN6880.jpg

Then he sang a couple number from this Home on the Range.

DSCN6881.jpg

Soon Aladdin will be hitting the Great White Way (if it hasn’t already) and he sang a few of the songs that were added for the Broadway production.

DSCN6884.jpg

DSCN6886.jpg

He also wrote the music for Enchanted (again receiving an Oscar nomination). I saw this movie once, but don’t remember any of the songs from it.

DSCN6886.jpg

DSCN6887.jpg

Obviously he sang a few tunes since they showed so many slides while he was singing.

DSCN6888.jpg

DSCN6889.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

The Little Mermaid has come to the stage as well. I’m not sure what he played here, I can’t find anything about which songs were added for the musical, but I don’t think he repeated any of the tunes here.

DSCN6890.jpg

DSCN6891.jpg

DSCN6892.jpg

Sister Act (The Musical) is another show that he wrote the music for. I haven’t seen it yet, so I can’t remember the songs he sang from that one, but they were good.

DSCN6893.jpg

Tangled is another film that Menken wrote the music for while Glenn Slater wrote the lyrics.

DSCN6894.jpg

From this movie he sang, When Will My Life Begin?, Mother Knows Best and I Have a Dream.

DSCN6895.jpg

He must have sang Waiting for the Lights from this slide.

DSCN6896.jpg

Now don’t flame me, but I’m not a big Avengers fan, so I haven’t seen any of these movies. Therefore the songs were unfamiliar to me.

DSCN6897.jpg

Now I don’t remember if he just talked about Newsies here or actually sang some more songs, but I figured I’d show you the slide.

DSCN6898.jpg

Leap of Faith is another musical that he co-wrote with Glenn Slater. It debuted in Los Angeles in 2010 and was on Broadway in 2011. I know he didn’t sing anything that I didn’t like that night, I just don’t remember the songs from the musicals which were new to me.

DSCN6900.jpg

As the evening was coming to a close, he talked about Aladdin and how truly special it was to his later songwriting partner’s heart. The show debuted in a short run in July 2011 on 5th Avenue in New York. Another run went in St. Louis a year later. Supposedly starting in 2014 the show will play at the New Amsterdam Theater taking the place of Mary Poppins.

DSCN6901.jpg

One of the highlights of the stage show is that they have included one of Ashman’s numbers, Proud of Your Boy which he sang as the penultimate number for the evening. This was one of Ashman’s favorite songs that was originally cut from the movie. While he sang the song they showed this picture of Alan Menken and Harold Ashman’s partner posthumously accepting the Academy Award for their writing on Aladdin.

DSCN6903.jpg

As I said, this whole post has been from memory and the pictures, so I am assuming that he ended the show with If I Ever Knew You from Pocohontas.

DSCN6905.jpg

Thoughts and reflections on the evening and concert: I really wondered how this show was going to stand up to past entertainment at the Destination-D events. I mean Richard Sherman was a hard act to follow, he had us laughing, crying and sometimes even singing along. But Wow! Let me put it this way, Sherman wrote the soundtrack to my childhood, Alan Menken, well he wrote the soundtrack to most of my adult life. His shows hit right around the time I was in the middle of or finishing college and continued right on through all the highs and lows of my life.

Every song brought back memories for me and I was just an emotional wreck with tears streaming down my face with each new song that I remembered. Even as I write this I having a hard time seeing the screen through the blur. Not only did he write amazing songs, his performance level was equally amazing, such musicianship, and such conviction behind the words as he sang them. I was in awe of his every note, even the songs I didn’t know moved me. But the ones that I did know hit me really hard, Disney has been there throughout my life. I won’t spare you the gory details, but I remember who I first saw just about all of these movies with, and that alone took me on quite a magic carpet ride! Evidently he doesn’t perform like this often so we really experienced a rare treat.

If you EVER have the chance to catch him in a live performance anywhere, I would urge you not to miss it. Not only is he a funny guy, he is talented beyond belief! I have known a lot of very talented musicians, but I can’t imagine how much fun it would be to be a fly on the wall while he is brainstorming! I was so high on life when I got back to the room, but we had to go to bed right away. The next morning we had to be up EAR-LY for another amazing day!

Much as I adore all the details and your gorgeous pictures in your latest updates, this is one time I wish that we could HEAR the session! :thumbsup2

I knew that you were going to say that! You said the same thing about the Dick Van Dyke Concert! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter