• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Destash 2023 Use it or lose it

Cleaning out our lower level apartment of a decade's worth of stuff so our daughter's family can move in. It's amazing how much was still there from DMIL who passed in 2009 and stuff we've accumulated but don't need. Furniture is the hardest to get rid of.

Another week, so more stuff:

books - 2
products - 1
dishes - 1 (broken, but it went away and wasn't replaced)
sunglasses 1 (also broken, I'm still counting it!)
misc - 1

1842/500 Items

20 years ago i left my former job. i hung on to some of the dresses, suits and blouses thinking that in case something came up that necessitated a look that was elevated from my comfy clothes i would be prepared. (insert clicking clock) in 20 years i've only had to pull from that area of my closet twice so i decided to PURGE. i pulled all but 5 blouses, 3 jackets and 2 pairs of black dress pants. i figure i'm set for any occasion my yoga pants and minion t-shirts won't suffice for. 2 very large black plastic garbage bags will be going to charity. i also took the time and went through my casual clothes-ended up with another bag's worth of tshirts, henleys and such.

August efforts
17 small plastic containers - donated
14 comic books - donated
2 lanyards - donated

7 pens - brought to school

6 pairs of socks (did not like the fit) - Gave to son, he wanted them!

1 expired sunscreen - trashed
1 toothbrush - trashed
1 sunscreen - used up

49 itmes left the house
700of 500 total or 140% of goal

I quit one of my 2 jobs in May. Have gotten rid of a lot of stuff but need to get rid of a lot more.

Sir far have gotten rid of a lot of clothes,mis matched storage containers, kitchen stuff and several odds and ends. Hoping to move in a few years so trying to think of it as a moving purge.

I quit one of my 2 jobs in May. Have gotten rid of a lot of stuff but need to get rid of a lot more.

Sir far have gotten rid of a lot of clothes,mis matched storage containers, kitchen stuff and several odds and ends. Hoping to move in a few years so trying to think of it as a moving purge.
That's a great way to look at it! "If I were moving, what would happen to this item?" I bet it's easier to get rid of things that way

Ok, I'm in. Between starting a pantry/freezer challenge and attempting to purge every room in this house by year's end, I'm going to make a goal of 10 items/day. If something new comes in then it affects my total. 1,160 items - let's do this!

I started a slow purge of our house this year! I've made it through the kitchen and most of my clothing and closet. I'm just having difficulty deciding what to do with everything (it's stacked in a closet in the basement). I know I could just drop it off at Goodwill or another local reseller and be done, but there are some things I could sell (spirit jerseys, pins, random Disney merch like that). I just don't know how to sell and ship things! Ha ha. I need to check with my husband's school's drama department to see if they need any clothing or props.

I started a slow purge of our house this year! I've made it through the kitchen and most of my clothing and closet. I'm just having difficulty deciding what to do with everything (it's stacked in a closet in the basement). I know I could just drop it off at Goodwill or another local reseller and be done, but there are some things I could sell (spirit jerseys, pins, random Disney merch like that). I just don't know how to sell and ship things! Ha ha. I need to check with my husband's school's drama department to see if they need any clothing or props.
I’ve started selling on Poshmark. They do keep a % of the sale. But it’s been an easy app/process to use allowing me to make a little money on things I no longer need :)

Today had me right on target!

7 Amazon returns dropped off
2 paperwork items completed and mailed off
1 Poshmark sale shipped

Bonus, 51 items posted on Poshmark. If they don't sell in 30 days they'll get donated.

Progress: 10/1,160

I’ve started selling on Poshmark. They do keep a % of the sale. But it’s been an easy app/process to use allowing me to make a little money on things I no longer need :)
Excellent, I've been looking at Poshmark! It seems like the shipping is straightforward. What do you use for shipping materials? It sounds like I can use Priority mail packaging and they have a deal with USPS for the standard Poshmark rate.

Excellent, I've been looking at Poshmark! It seems like the shipping is straightforward. What do you use for shipping materials? It sounds like I can use Priority mail packaging and they have a deal with USPS for the standard Poshmark rate.
Yep, super easy. Once an item sells they email you the shipping label all set to go, just have to print it out. Honestly, I use whatever packaging I have lying around lol. My favorite is when retailers use the envelopes that have a second seal you can use after opening. I save all those in a "shipping materials" drawer I have specifically for Poshmark. But, yes, you can use the packaging from the PO as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter