Destash 2022 Time to eject the dreck!

Shoes went out. Went through the entertainment shelves and the tv surround area.
Worked in the sunroom. Just a short period. Took out 2 bowling balls. Took a load to goodwill. Filled a garbage can full. Brought stuff here to get rid of.
The pool went down this past week- not by me. Load of dirt came in. Again thankful not me.
A vision for the sunroom has been made. Wednesday I will go back in there.

Went out in the garage at lunch today to put something in the freezer and discovered an inch of water throughout the garage. Glad I was working at home today so I could shut the pump off but damn. My husband is such a pack rat and the back half of this very long garage is packed with crap-so I guess bright side is he’s going to have to clean it up and hopefully get rid of a ton of stuff.

I'm not really participating this year, but I'm am continuing to declutter. I joined my local.Buy Nothing Group and I love it! So far this year I've given away about 300 things through the Buy Nothing Group including 3 couches and a big chair. I love that things are going to people who actually want the stuff rather than a donation place where who knows if it ever gets claimed. I'm still trying to get my husband engaged in the process, but so far he's hanging onto all of his treasures.

I'm not really participating this year, but I'm am continuing to declutter. I joined my local.Buy Nothing Group and I love it! So far this year I've given away about 300 things through the Buy Nothing Group including 3 couches and a big chair. I love that things are going to people who actually want the stuff rather than a donation place where who knows if it ever gets claimed. I'm still trying to get my husband engaged in the process, but so far he's hanging onto all of his treasures.
I love my local BNG! Totally agree that it's a great place to get rid of unwanted items and make sure that they're going to someone who could really use it or need it. And every so often someone posts something that I could use/need. :)

From the sunroof my mom’s generator finally went back to her home. Don’t worry, there is another one in there ;) a small garbage can full of bird side also went to my mom’s home. She was excited for the bird feed.

I am working in the small room in the basement; that is where the stuff that is currently in the sunroom will go to be stored. Allowing the sunroom to be functional and enjoyed.

Today a Christmas polar the size of me left and the baby one too. A garbage can was filled from the basement.

We actually found a garbage can in the back corner of the yard today, when the outside hired clean up guy came over to ask what all could leave from the back corner of the yard behind the fence to hide the stored stuff. The garbage can found out there was 1/4 full but hey another can we can fill :)

And a jeep full went to goodwill when I left town. A small box of baby toys went to other family. Clothes are being washed to go to goodwill tomorrow. Tomorrow The plan start the process of moving stuff to the basement cleaned area. My family member really does not go into the basement ever.

Wednesday maybe some nascar stuff delivered to the other family. One truck sadly will not fit it all!

My goal- beat the snow.

The sunroom is done. Half went out. Some went to the basement. A load went to goodwill today.

I left them with empty totes everywhere. I shared, load them up with the stuff from the other rooms you are keeping (keepsakes) and I will take them downstairs.

They shared they have decided that
they are going to go through the saved piles again and get rid of more :)

There is garbage to go out as soon as the garbage is picked up.

I will be around to help encourage. Garage is up next.

Last edited:
Went out in the garage at lunch today to put something in the freezer and discovered an inch of water throughout the garage. Glad I was working at home today so I could shut the pump off but damn. My husband is such a pack rat and the back half of this very long garage is packed with crap-so I guess bright side is he’s going to have to clean it up and hopefully get rid of a ton of stuff.

use the health and safety aspect to get him to go through his stuff ASAP!!! we had some water get into an area i store things and i didn't discover it for about a week or two-the mold and mildew that had already started creeping on/into boxes was scary. the smell was baaaad. i can't imagine if it had been in a garage that was attached by a doorway to our house, or if it had been against any kind of walls that had drywall or were drywall adjacent. for your health's sake-get the wet and even slightly damp stuff either tossed or fully dried/aired out.

I believe the next time I post I’m going to wait till either the garage or the basement is done.

Today took 2 vehicles of stuff to the adult kid. My brother was in town so he helped us lug it up from the basement. Have at least another 2 vehicles of stuff to round up to get to him. All the collections stuff.

Garage -3 barrels of stuff for garbage pick up. Just started the garage. Only took out things for trash. The adult kids are to come Saturday for stuff in there.

Basement I know tons of stuff of what can go it is being bagged up. Waiting for each garbage day. I don’t think they want to get a dumpster.

October decluttering efforts. Better than September but still a way off from my goal. Need to get cshiveling some crap out of the house!

1 hotel bar of soap - used up

10 expired food/ extreme freezer burned items - trashed

2 cell phone belt clips - donated
5 charging cables (no longer fit anything we own) - donated
1 package of new sealed cloth masks - donated
2 stress balls - to my classroom

30 cloth masks - recycled
5 cardboard boxes - recycled
1 grocery bag of assorted paperwork - shredded and recycled

57 Items left this month
306 of 500 items or 61.2% of goal

Pulled a box from the basement storage area. It had about 25 old wrestling figures, a few other action figure toys along with the plastic wrestling ring. Offered to DS, nothing he wanted so that all got trashed. Went thru some greeting cards I have piled up & recycled 10. Had 2 family birthdays this month, used up a roll of wrapping paper, recycled the tube it was on. While I was doing that I trashed several little bits & pieces of left over wrapping & tissue paper that was mixed in there. Pantry items trashed: 3 shelf stable bread items ordered from QVC a year ago & a box of microwave popcorn, none of which we liked. The breads got trashed & the box they were in was reused to organize other items. Outdated frozen dinner I bought for my husband that he never ate trashed, packaging recycled. Not really cleared out, but we cancelled our daily newspaper subscription. The price kept jumping, the paper kept shrinking with almost no feature items we read anymore. We will still pick up the Sunday paper at the near by convenience store, at least for awhile. So there will be 6 days less of newspapers to recycle every week going forward & $70+ less spent per month.

The other day there was a request on NextDoor for clothing items for the homeless, so that prompted me to go through my T-shirts and sweatshirts, and and I took a bag over on Wednesday.

I also broke down and recycled a whole bunch of boxes since my last post.

I'm really hoping to figure out a good way to get decluttering into a regular routine, though, instead of just something I do when I'm in the mood, or when something kicks me into gear.

Donated leftover Halloween candy and a bunch of free calendars today. Also recycled two small plastic tubs that I don't remember why I saved in the first place.

Earlier this week, 4 large kitty littler buckets went to a program that fills them with a sand/salt mixture for senior citizens to use on winter ice. I like recycling, but I like it even better when something can get used again first!

Last edited:
November decluttering efforts: Not nearly where I should be but at least it is something!

6 medium duty rain capes - donated
1 new refillable water bottle - donated
2 pins - donated
4 tournament medals - donated
1 cash box - donated
1 laptop computer cooling fan - donated

2 trail maps and other paperwork - recycled
1 Gift Card - used up and recycled
1 sweater - recycled
1 magazine - recycled

2 hair brushes - trashed
1 pair of sneaker - trashed
1 pair of socks - trashed

1 canopy tent - returned to owner

25 Items left this month
341 of 500 items or 68.2% of goal

Still didn't finish the garage work that we started over the summer. We're about 90% there but still a bunch of tools to sort through and decide where they will go. We're working on clearing out our lower level apartment that DMIL lived in before she passed 13 years ago. We're also doing some much needed repair work and updating. DD, DSIL and DGS will be moving in next year once the work is done so that they can save money. Still had some of DMIL's stuff down there plus a lot of our stuff that migrated down over the years. DH has a collection of electronics and sound equipment there that he won't part with and so they will have to come up to our space. Wish some of that could go. He also has a very good treadmill that is almost never used that he won't part.

For anyone that is looking for other places to donate, we started donating to the Purple Heart Pickup/GreenDrop during the pandemic and they have been great. You can arrange a pickup on line and then leave everything outside that morning. They have come every time as scheduled, picked up everything we left for them and we get a receipt for the number of bags/boxes. GreenDrop handles donations for a few other charities but we chose Purple Heart because my uncle received one when he died in WW2.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and has happy, healthy and safe rest of the year!

DH and I worked on the den and started the tool room while he had some time off. Three bags of trash out, a bunch of cardboard recycled, two bags and a box to the Salvation Army, plus a few things set aside in a neatly labeled bin to donate to the Lodge flea market this summer.

For the family member the garage got cleaned out. Now you can see the bottom boards are Disintegrating. They are checking into if they can be replaced. The adult kids got in gear after they knew we were in there throwing away things :)

And the basement looks pretty good, I had DS drag some heavy boxes upstairs and also drag some heavy things out to the garbage. And then we moved the stuff into the storage areas. He was home for thanksgiving break.

This week the last large shipment went to the adult kid. Nascar stuff still.

Tonight I stopped on my way home I emptied out the basement large freezer. They said the food in it had been in there for a long time.

There is still stuff to go but Yipee: as I went to go downstairs I could hear the dehumidifier running down there - prior It was so full - it was like a sound absorbing black hole.

The basement on my part is done. I stopped and emptied out the closets. Not too bad. Plenty down there still be kept. 2 lamps 2 good will. A load 2 good will needs to happen. Some dishes 2 the garbage. Glass shelves to the garbage each week need to go. Electronic runs needs to happen.

Now there is heavy stuff that needs 2 men to get it up and out.

Last edited:
I've been plenty busy, but I don't think I've cleaned out too much. I don't think I'm going to hit 500, but I've made really good progress this year. I'm currently making myself a huge to-do list, and setting up goals for 2023.
Shoes and a book, and a promise to myself to find something to get rid of over the weekend.

Total: 431 items

For those that have items to list online, would there be any interest in a separate thread to keep us motivated to get the items listed in 2023? Basically it's a spinoff thread for the stuff you've set aside to sell. I have hundreds of items to sell and I lack either the motivation or the momentum to get them listed. I'd love to get a group together on the Boards to hold each other accountable! LMK if you're in and I'll create the thread and share link.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter