• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Desert Inn & Suites questions!

Glynis4

Mouseketeer
I’m wondering about 2 things - first, are there specific rooms to request that might be quieter? We have young kids so will be back at the motel for naps and/or early bedtime. We just have the basic 2 queen room booked. Also, has anyone brought their own blackout blinds for the windows?? I hear the shutters let a lot of light in, so considering bringing some and attaching with a couple spring clamps.

Also, am I making the right hotel choice?!? I also have BW Stovall’s booked, and it’s $150 cheaper (over 7 nights), but I feel like the location of DI&S is going to make it the winner no matter what. We probably won’t use the pool. Breakfast isn’t a big deal (stayed at HOJO last time and bought groceries to have breakfast in our room). Thanks!

I have stayed there many times. I will be there for a 3day stay at the end of October. Again in Dec and Jan, have to take advantage of my AP.

I choose DI&S because of the short distance to the parks and the rate (if booked way ahead of time) is usually the lowest.

When I have had a room near the front, the noise level is louder. Not only was there more people noise but the delivery trucks for Denny's next door and garbage pick up was terrible in the early AM. It was worse than an alarm clock.
The Back-up Beepers were LOUD.

I had a room at the back in the small courtyard area and it was much quieter. Plus there wasn't the bright sun into the windows.

If I take grandkids that will want to use a pool we stay some where else. The pool building has too strong of a chlorine smell for me.

The breakfast isn't that great..... But it's free. We usually get something at Starbucks and eat while in line at the gates.
There is a fair size frig for a Disney stay.

Enjoy

Geemo

Geemo said it all. I've requested top floor when I've stayed, so as to avoid small feet pounding overhead. One time that was the 5th floor, a parlor suite near the front. I liked that room a lot, it had a window at the back from which I could see the crosswalk with the Disneyland sign. I wear earplugs, so I didn't notice the noise. The other time we were put on the 3rd floor, still top floor at the back of the property, wayyy back in the courtyard area. Because it is so sheltered, it is pretty dark back there, and quiet, unless somebody is outside on the walkway having a loud phone conversation. (happened to me once). I'd suggest bringing a white noise machine. DI&S is not fancy. It's clean, and the location can't be beat-- 5 minutes to the turnstiles! It's the cheapest option, usually. But, the AC can be noisy, and the water pressure in the showers is awfully low. I think you'll be fine, and you will definitely appreciate the closeness with your little ones. Just ask for top floor, far back.

Stayed there several times. In both the parlor suites and the regular rooms. I have not noticed noise to be problem, with the exception of the bar on the rooftop of the Grand Legacy hotel... on Fri and Sat nights that music seems to carry right across into the rooms on the upper floors...and it can be loud! With a parlor suute, you can close off that first room and it isn't an issue. But with a regular room, your sleeping area had no buffer from the sound ...sonething to think about if you'll be there on a Friday or Saturday.
I have stayed at Stovalls as well. While their breakfast and pool are superior to the Desert Inn, the location alone would make me choose Desert Inn every time.
If you can request a room at the back, i do think that would help. The courtyard area does seem to buffer the noise from the rooftop bar, as well.
Have a fabulous time!

Are you driving for flying? We drive and anytime we stayed at any hotel we bring our own fan. Otherwise none of us sleep. Some hotels have them if you ask. You could call ahead and ask if they have available. We have downloaded a white noise on our phone but a fan helps us best.

If kids are small enough for light and noise to be a problem I would not ask to stay in the back at Desert Inn. Our room was in the back and it takes two minutes to walk out to the Harbor sidewalk (including stairs from 4th floor. Elevator took longer). My kids are teens so 2 minutes doesn't matter to us---except it ended up being the same walk as from front building at Grand Legacy which are much nicer rooms. But getting tired little kids back to the room will make a difference if you ask for the back since the best thing about Desert Inn is the location. Just bring a fan or white noise machine or app. No sound difference compared to any other motel in the row in my opinion.

Stayed there several times. In both the parlor suites and the regular rooms. I have not noticed noise to be problem, with the exception of the bar on the rooftop of the Grand Legacy hotel... on Fri and Sat nights that music seems to carry right across into the rooms on the upper floors...and it can be loud! With a parlor suute, you can close off that first room and it isn't an issue. But with a regular room, your sleeping area had no buffer from the sound ...sonething to think about if you'll be there on a Friday or Saturday.
I have stayed at Stovalls as well. While their breakfast and pool are superior to the Desert Inn, the location alone would make me choose Desert Inn every time.
If you can request a room at the back, i do think that would help. The courtyard area does seem to buffer the noise from the rooftop bar, as well.
Have a fabulous time!

This is very helpful. We will be there on a Saturday night (first night) & Friday night (last night). So maybe a room at the back but not top floor....

Are you driving for flying? We drive and anytime we stayed at any hotel we bring our own fan. Otherwise none of us sleep. Some hotels have them if you ask. You could call ahead and ask if they have available. We have downloaded a white noise on our phone but a fan helps us best.

We are flying, but we have a small white noise machine that we will bring with us :)

If kids are small enough for light and noise to be a problem I would not ask to stay in the back at Desert Inn. Our room was in the back and it takes two minutes to walk out to the Harbor sidewalk (including stairs from 4th floor. Elevator took longer). My kids are teens so 2 minutes doesn't matter to us---except it ended up being the same walk as from front building at Grand Legacy which are much nicer rooms. But getting tired little kids back to the room will make a difference if you ask for the back since the best thing about Desert Inn is the location. Just bring a fan or white noise machine or app. No sound difference compared to any other motel in the row in my opinion.
Good to know - we will have a stroller for the kids - oldest is 7, but tires easily, so it will make the entire trip much more pleasant to bring the double stroller for them both :). So the close location is more for my husband and I than the kids! We will definitely be bringing a white noise machine, just wasn’t sure if it would be enough!

I just finished my trip and we stayed at the Desert inn and suites. When I booked, I booked the basic 2 queen room and asked for top floor and close to an elevator. We got 4th floor, between the first 2 elevators, but they did upgrade us to a room with a small living room area. When we left the room late that first night, one of the neighboring hotels was blaring music super loud (so loud we couldn't hear each other walking to the elevator), however, inside the room we couldn't hear any of it. And that's with just the main door closed, we never closed the living room door. I didn't notice any problems with the shutters, just remember to close them each day because housekeeping likes to open them when they come in. I typically can't sleep unless it's dark, so if it was a problem, I would have known. Overall, it's a decent hotel if you're just looking for a place to sleep that's easily within walking distance.

I just finished my trip and we stayed at the Desert inn and suites. When I booked, I booked the basic 2 queen room and asked for top floor and close to an elevator. We got 4th floor, between the first 2 elevators, but they did upgrade us to a room with a small living room area. When we left the room late that first night, one of the neighboring hotels was blaring music super loud (so loud we couldn't hear each other walking to the elevator), however, inside the room we couldn't hear any of it. And that's with just the main door closed, we never closed the living room door. I didn't notice any problems with the shutters, just remember to close them each day because housekeeping likes to open them when they come in. I typically can't sleep unless it's dark, so if it was a problem, I would have known. Overall, it's a decent hotel if you're just looking for a place to sleep that's easily within walking distance.
I'll echo the above. We always stay in the back on the 2nd or 3rd floor and have never had problem with sound or light except for one trip where there were kids running around screaming at 11pm. I've been to tonnes of hotels and would of heard those shrills anywhere though. I don't think its better sound wise but not terrible and the light never bothered us at least! Have a great trip. We already booked our next stay there for the 5 time in a row if that tells you anything!

Funnily enough this thread popped up the day after I booked in! So glad to see such good reviews - we have a personal one too from a friend of my parents. And the price can’t be beat!

So looking forward to it!

There are also white noise apps you can use on your phone that do the trick, too, to block out background noise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter