Desert Inn & Suites Locker Question

Turk February

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I have a stay booked next month at Desert Inn. We're scheduled to land at LAX at 9a so we will be there way before check-in. I have read many, many reviews mentioning the luggage lockers they offer but I still can't figure out how big they really are. Some say they're tiny, some say huge. We will have a standard sized checked bag (31"x20"x12"). Will a locker fit this? We will also have 3 carry-ons. Are we allowed to rent more than one locker? Thanks to anyone who can help!

I would say definitely not the checked but possibly the carry-ons. For anything that doesn't fit in the locker, they will hold in the office or in a storage room close to the lockers.

You are allowed to rent as many as needed, but they were not very user friendly from our experience. I'm having a hard time thinking of what happened since this was probably 5 or so years ago, but we put in a couple quarters or whatever it charges (also to be noted - the lockers do require change) and started putting our stuff in. I believe the door closed before we could remove the key and had to put more change in to open it back up.

The lockers are about the size of a carry on from what I can recall, so you would need 3 lockers for carry-ons and then possibly an additional one if you have purses/coats that you want to leave behind and not bring with you into the park.

We used their storage about 4 years ago. We had all carry-on luggage. Ours were the hard shell sort and I'm fairly confident we were able to fit two of those in a locker, but I might be remembering that wrong. There aren't a lot of lockers, maybe 12 or so. We had the same issue with the locks that the previous poster had. I don't recall exactly what the situation was either, but I know we were able to store our luggage in them with a little help from the staff.

We had 4 carryon suitcases and 3 backpacks and used 2 lockers. Like others have said they are a pain. The front desk will give you change. One of the lockers ate our quarters, wouldn’t release the key and they gave me the quarters back when I went to the front desk. You can rent as many as are available I would assume.

I was at Desert Inn and Suites last week. I used the luggage store both on my arrival day and my check out day. The front desk are very insistent about using the lockers for anything smaller than a 50 pound large roller bag.

I had a carry on roller and a 50 pound large roller bag. The check in person gave me change for the lockers and called a staff member to open the room next door. I waited until the staff member arrived before putting my small roller in lockers. I rolled my large case into the room and the staff member grabbed my small roller and placed it next to my big bag. He then got the clipboard and filled out the tag that I had 2 bags and put the tag on my large roller and gave me the reclaim part of the tag.

I said thanks and watched him lock the door and then went over to Downtown Disney.

On my check out day, the same thing happened. I didnt do it on purpose, I just wanted to get my big bag sorted before using the lockers. Again , no words were said, but my small roller was placed beside my big roller and I was given a bag reclaim tag which said 2 bags.

The store room had very few bags on both times. Its very likely that Desert Inn and Suites make a profit from the storage lockers, which is why the front desk staff encourage the use of lockers, management could be watching them closely to make sure they are telling people.

Whereas, I think its the housekeeping and maintenance departments that have the keys for the store room and are the ones who put the bags in the room and give the reclaim tags. As far as they are concerned, they are doing the job they have been instructed to do, take bags and give out the tags.

Please don't expect this to happen every time, as if people start saying something to the front desk, the housekeeping and maintenance departments could get into trouble.

Like everything else, the more people talk, the more people will expect it and then it will get taken away.

I was at Desert Inn and Suites last week. I used the luggage store both on my arrival day and my check out day. The front desk are very insistent about using the lockers for anything smaller than a 50 pound large roller bag.

I had a carry on roller and a 50 pound large roller bag. The check in person gave me change for the lockers and called a staff member to open the room next door. I waited until the staff member arrived before putting my small roller in lockers. I rolled my large case into the room and the staff member grabbed my small roller and placed it next to my big bag. He then got the clipboard and filled out the tag that I had 2 bags and put the tag on my large roller and gave me the reclaim part of the tag.

I said thanks and watched him lock the door and then went over to Downtown Disney.

On my check out day, the same thing happened. I didnt do it on purpose, I just wanted to get my big bag sorted before using the lockers. Again , no words were said, but my small roller was placed beside my big roller and I was given a bag reclaim tag which said 2 bags.

The store room had very few bags on both times. Its very likely that Desert Inn and Suites make a profit from the storage lockers, which is why the front desk staff encourage the use of lockers, management could be watching them closely to make sure they are telling people.

Whereas, I think its the housekeeping and maintenance departments that have the keys for the store room and are the ones who put the bags in the room and give the reclaim tags. As far as they are concerned, they are doing the job they have been instructed to do, take bags and give out the tags.

Please don't expect this to happen every time, as if people start saying something to the front desk, the housekeeping and maintenance departments could get into trouble.

Like everything else, the more people talk, the more people will expect it and then it will get taken away.

Thanks so much for this. My main concern is having somewhere to put our large 50-pound bag when we arrive. I don't mind paying for the lockers, I just don't want to get there at 11a and sit around for 4 hours because there's nowhere to store our large bag. Their system is totally unorthodox but I'm willing to work with it for the rate we got haha. As long as there's a place to store the big bag, I'm ok.

Does anyone recall how much change you need per locker?

I think the lockers are mostly so 1. the room doesn't fill up on busier days and 2. they don't have to constantly call someone to open up the storage room.

We've used the storage room several times, no problem with us storing all of our luggage together. We've had both short and long waits (2 to 15 mins) to access the storage room. It all depends on availability of staff with the key. I think they steer you towards the lockers because it lessens the amount of times they are pulling someone away from what they are doing to open up the facility, also lessens their liability.

I believe it is 50 cents per locker the one time we used them. They are a bit tricky as they are on a spring close. If you let the door close before you get everything in there, you have to use the key and pay another 50 cents to open it back up or close it IIRC. I just know we had to pay twice for one of the lockers because we let it close.

I believe it is 50 cents per locker the one time we used them. They are a bit tricky as they are on a spring close. If you let the door close before you get everything in there, you have to use the key and pay another 50 cents to open it back up or close it IIRC. I just know we had to pay twice for one of the lockers because we let it close.
From what I remember..... In November 2023 I thought it took 6 - quarters to activate the lock.
I have added a couple of pics for those new to the lockers at DI&S

Attachments

• DIS Lockers 2019-11 02.jpg
    DIS Lockers 2019-11 02.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DIS Lockers 2019-11 01.jpg
    DIS Lockers 2019-11 01.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 15
From what I remember..... In November 2023 I thought it took 6 - quarters to activate the lock.
That is super helpful. Thanks for the photos!

Thank you for the photos. We used the lockers a few years ago but I couldn't remember what they looked like. I am wavering bringing a mid size suitcase to check just incase we do find some things to bring home.

Thank you for the photos. We used the lockers a few years ago but I couldn't remember what they looked like. I am wavering bringing a mid size suitcase to check just incase we do find some things to bring home.
My plan for trips is to go with 1 roller-bag + backpack for carry on. I never check a bag on the way to DLR, I don't like to wait for baggage when we arrive.

We have a fairly large barrel bag I pack. The barrel bag is used for the trip home. As we pack to come home the barrel bag is filled with everyone's dirty laundry. This frees up space in our carry-on for souvenirs and the barrel bag with dirty laundry is checked. It works great for us!!

My plan for trips is to go with 1 roller-bag + backpack for carry on. I never check a bag on the way to DLR, I don't like to wait for baggage when we arrive.

We have a fairly large barrel bag I pack. The barrel bag is used for the trip home. As we pack to come home the barrel bag is filled with everyone's dirty laundry. This frees up space in our carry-on for souvenirs and the barrel bag with dirty laundry is checked. It works great for us!!
I think this is what I will do and I need more room for the way home I can always check my roller bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter