• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Desert Inn Exact Walking Distance to Entrance?

Gpaul

Earning My Ears
I called and they stated less than 100 yards to gates into DL. True or false?

Thanks again!

YUK! Don't go there! It was so bad when we were there in July, that we actually moved hotels! YUK!!! When you read the travel reviews on Travelocity, etc., the only reason why the word "cockroach" isn't in the description is because even the cockroaches won't stay there! YUK. You can do so much better that that --- CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL.

Wow, while its not my favorite, I've never found it to be that bad. I've stayed there a few times.

To answer your question, it's about 100 yard to the entrace to the resort area where the shuttles drop off, then about another 100 yards to the actual park gates.

We stayed there in November, and while it wasn't fancy, it was VERY clean and new carpet in our room. I am picky about cleanliness. We stayed there due to the closeness to the gates, and having to have a double stroller, coming back for naps, etc. It's not a resort, but I thought it was nice and clean, beds were fine and that sort of thing. It just wasn't scenic or pretty like the Candy Cane where we usually stay if the grandchildren aren't with us. We were able to get a suite with the adjoining door inside the rooms.

2 vs. 1, and most of the reviews don't hit it that hard, au contraire!

200 yds. to step into Magic ain't bad at all.

Gracias!

We stayed there in October in one of the parlor A suites and it was fine, it wasn't fancy but it was clean and the staff were very friendly to us.

If your talking about the Desert Inn then yes it is 100 yds away but I would have to agree with kimkatmom. The room was clean but the breakfast was horrible and the people their were unfriendly, almost rude. We went with a group and had 2 cars. When we checked in they told us that we would have to park 1 of the cars someplace else. So for 4 days 1 car was 1 mile away. Not fun.

It is right across the street. You can't get much closer.

We have stayed there twice (just returned last night from a Dec 13-17th stay). It is nothing fancy but it is very clean. The breakfast is just toast, sweetroll and one type of fruit per day - it was apple or oranges this time, coffee, tea, oj, milk and lemonaide).

We like the extra room of a parlor suite. The staff has always been friendly to us. The parking is limited, so you are only allowed one car.

(We have also stayed at the HOJOs twice, BW park place and the Park Inn)

Sher

BlueBayou, so even though you've stayed at the nicer ones, Desert fits the bill for basically sleeping and being close to entrance?

Gpaul said:
BlueBayou, so even though you've stayed at the nicer ones, Desert fits the bill for basically sleeping and being close to entrance?
I fits the bill just fine.

HOJOs has much nicer grounds and is closer to a 'resort' feel, but it is the longest walk of the 4 I have stayed in. We got a very noisy room there that overlooked I-5 on our second stay there. They were very cool changing our room the next day.

At the Desert Inn we really like the parlor suite with the extra room. The bathroom has decent tile and very hot water. We have been able to see the Matterhorn and watch part of the fireworks from inside our room. I was surprised to see a previous poster say they found the staff unfriendly, our dealings have always been fine. We have stored a lap top, called the front desk for park hour info, called to delay our stay by a day, extended our stay an extra night and checked in at a very late hour.

There are plenty of lights in the room and the blinds pull totally shut so you can make it very dark for nap time.

I guess we have stayed there 10 nights total and never had anything keep us up at night.

I think all the free breakfasts at the harbor drive motels are all kind of slim pickings. It works for us to get enough fuel in our bodies to hit the parks.

Sher

When I was there in November, our room had been very recently repainted, the carpet looked very new, and I saw that they were putting new furniture in many of the rooms. We were there over the week of Veteran's Day and it was full, but we never had trouble finding a space to park, although I've heard of people having that problem.

Our party consisted of me, my husband, my daughter and two small grandchildren. We had the C1 suite with 2 rooms, 4 queen beds, a crib, a bath and half and it cost $99. Like I said earlier, I am very picky about cleanliness. Much more so about cleanliness than about luxury. Our rooms were always very clean. No stray hairs, bugs or dust in corners, etc. The shower head was small, but had lots of power. The breakfast was just barely adequate, but they had a fridge and microwave in our room, so we bought some yogurt and instant oatmeal to supplement.

We had a double stroller to deal with and children who came back for naps. The location was ideal for this. It was a very short walk and we didn't have to struggle to put a double stroller on a shuttle.

I have stayed here 4 times in about 15 years, mostly when we have a large group. Otherwise, we stay at the Candy Cane. However, the Candy Cane doesn't have connecting rooms and wouldn't even guarentee that they would put us and my daughter's family next door.

The things I'm not crazy about with the Desert Inn and Suites are that the outside is pretty bland and that the pool is indoors. I think also that they don't let you check in before 3 pm. Other than that, we were very pleased.

Just returned from four nights at Desert Inn Dec 12-16 in a C-2 (?) Suite (4 queen beds, two full baths). I second the clean and close. As for service, well, we didn't ask for much. They didn't open their "sun deck" for fireworks viewing on Dec 12 until we called--twice. Their lame excuse was that DL hadn't sent them a schedule with the fireworks time. :confused3 Hmmm. I knew in October when the fireworks were going to be that night. . .

That said, the fireworks view from the "sun deck" was GREAT! You couldn't beat the views of the pyrotechnics. You missed the soundtrack and almost all of the projections (got one shot of a face on the Matterhorn), but you could see Tink fly from the Matterhorn down to the castle and had a terrific view of all the actual fireworks.

For what it's worth, my family of five stayed there (see sig) and would all voluntarily stay there again. One of these days I'll get around to posting the trip report. . .

Happy planning!

Thanky, thanky, thanky! Looks exactly like what we're looking for, clean and close. We'll be there 1/10-12.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

Dale-n-Chip said:
Just returned from four nights at Desert Inn Dec 12-16 in a C-2 (?) Suite (4 queen beds, two full baths). I second the clean and close.
Hey we were there at the same time! We were on the 4th floor. We thought about going to view the fireworks, but opted for the partial, but warm view from in our room.

Sher

Awright, just booked our 2 nights 1/10-12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks GPAUL for this thread! I am booked at the Desert in 01/04-01/11 in a parlor family suite! It was good to hear some reviews!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter