Depression

pjb_hockey_mom

<font color=green>Reminds me of a bad attempt at a
Good Morning Everyone!

I'm going to make a bold move here and start a thread on depression. In the past it has been very "taboo" for people to share their experiences, however I think it's an important issue.

I would like this thread to be non-judgemental and non-confrontational....a place where people can feel safe to come and share their personal experiences or the experiences they've had with loved ones.

Thanks!

Thank you!!

I was thinking of starting my own thread, maybe a sub-topic of this one, specifically for SAD, since it is that time of year.

I am sitting here in front of my light box, trying to soak up the artificial sunlight as it is so dreary and gray looking outside where I live. :sad2: :guilty:

Anyone who wants information or justs wants to share your experience, feel free to join in, or PM me.

And pjb hockey mom, didn't mean to hijack the thread! :sunny:

....and it certainly is that time of year. Maybe I should have called this the "feeling blue" thread....a place where folks can come when they're just feeling down.

After having my son 11+ years ago I was diagnosed with postpartum depression....it has been a struggle for me ever since. Like everyone, I have my good days and bad. I hope this is a place where folks can feel comfortable to share their experiences and what they're doing to make themselves feel better, whether it be diet, exercise, medication, etc.

thanks!

I am so glad that you started this thread on our new board.......it is the safe place to discuss how you are doing, your treatment, and maybe hear other experiences... Depression is sometimes so difficult to work through and regulating medications as well to keep that balance.

Please know that I will make sure it is a safe place for all of us. Thanks for posting and hopefully together we can help each other.

I have suffered with depression on and off over the years :guilty: ..I have never actually taken medication or even seen my doctor about it..I have just dealt with it. But recently things hav gotten so bad for me that I just knew i had to do something, so I have been taking st jons wort a herbal remedy for a couple of weeks and started going to a Gym a few times a week.
I think Iam starting to feel a bit better...but I still get down and weepy..especially around the time of the month.
It sounds silly but a major help to me to lift my spirits is the DIS boards :wizard: ..I don't know what I would do without it. Planning a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth is a great medicine. :)

I have come out of my Dis ''lurking'' faze, just to offer support. My father has suffered from depression most of his life, and undergoes treatment bi-weekly for it. If anyone just wants to talk, feel free to PM me.
Glad you've started this forum :thumbsup2

Tinker74 said:
I have suffered with depression on and off over the years :guilty: ..I have never actually taken medication or even seen my doctor about it..I have just dealt with it. But recently things hav gotten so bad for me that I just knew i had to do something, so I have been taking st jons wort a herbal remedy for a couple of weeks and started going to a Gym a few times a week.
I think Iam starting to feel a bit better...but I still get down and weepy..especially around the time of the month.
It sounds silly but a major help to me to lift my spirits is the DIS boards :wizard: ..I don't know what I would do without it. Planning a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth is a great medicine. :)

I think you're getting on the right track! :thumbsup2 Exercise and a healthy diet can make a difference. If it continues I would suggest just talking to your dr. about it and seeing what he/she recommends. There are so many options out there that, IMO, no one should suffer.

I understand what what you're saying, there is nothing like a good dose of Disney to make you feel better and take your mind off things. And if that's what gets you through, then great.

I'm going to post my experience with depression, in hopes that it may help someone. I was one who was very skeptical that there was such a thing when my Mom told me many times she had depression and had to take medication (yeah, her "happy pills", I thought). Then I didn't eat and didn't want to get out of bed for a month, and ended up in the hospital. When my Dr. told me it might be depression (after a week in the hospital and MANY tests), I almost fell out of bed! But I wasn't depressed, sad. I took the antidepressants, though, since they couldn't find anything else (although boy, did they look!)and sure enough, a few weeks later, I felt normal. The doctors at the time explained it as my body just not producing something and since it runs in the family, I'm on a low dose for life. I've come a long way from the person who thought depression was "all in your head".

A history of depression runs in my family. Both of my grandmothers, my sister, and my mom have it, as well as myself. Because of the history, when I first showed signs, my mom took me to the doctor. I have been on meds since I was a sophomore in high school. Since then I have also been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian disease, throwing my hormones out of whack. I also have SAD. So I gues syou could say that I have seen and experienced a lot of depression. I am glad that this forum was started and this topic because I think it will help everyone. I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

It really can affect so many people in such different ways. My dr. and I refer to it as "clearing out the cobwebs". Thanks to everyone for sharing. :hug:

Kristin

I've been hospitalized 2x for a month at a time with depression then 2 years ago I was in outpatient. The first time I was also anorexic. Prozac was the first drug I was on for about 10 years. Then the last time I was on Lexapro. My internist seems to think that most of my problem is from whack -a -doodle thyroid issues. So now I'm off the Lexapro and I'm taking 3 grains of Armour thyroid. I seem to be doing ok. Occassionally,I get to feeling down and it scares the daylights out of me. After a bit though I realize that it's the anxiety that has me jumpy. All I know is that it's hell on earth and I hope that none of us has to go through it!
Thanks pbj hockey mom for starting this thread!

Thanks so much for starting this thread. My mom suffered with depression but never really did anything to fix it. My brother now suffers horribly with it. He has tried suicide, alcohol, all manner of things. He is on the road to recovery but I still worry about him. Because he is gay, he has a ton of baggage that makes the depression much worse. I'm so hoping to get some insights here, from those of you with more knowledge than I. Thanks again for your knowledge and advice!!!

I was first diagnosed with depression in 1989 and have been on meds off and on (mostly on) since then. I have tried to come off, but find that I go on a downward spiral. My Doc and I have decided that I may be on meds from now on. That is okay with me and I am glad there is something that helps me.

I, too, have a family history of depression, and I've had a long struggle with SAD that was greatly reduced by moving from the midwest to CA almost 3 years ago. :sunny: I still have my light box, and I still "droop" every fall when daylight savings ends and the days get shorter. I was on antidepressants off and on over 10 years, and found some of them to be more helpful than others, but I'm thankful for the extra help they provided to get me out of bed and help me function each winter. When I wasn't in counseling/on anti-depressants, I'd have months where I was sleeping more than I was awake, not eating, not working/going to class, not doing much of anything other than "hibernating". Moving to CA when I married DH has been a huge blessing for me - I never dreamed that this could make such a difference! I still see a counselor from time to time - I finally found a good one, so I go to see her whenever my depression flares up again and that helps me stay on track.

Both my mom and DSis were hospitalized with depression related issues, and frankly I think DH has some depression/anxiety, but he won't admit it.

Wow, what a huge step, it is like we are all coming out of the closet. I think I have SAD but it is opposite. I love to snowboard and when I ride I take all my anger, my tears, my sadness and I throw it all at the mountain and see who wins. I love to ride the trees and also the extreme deep powder. I only get on groomers at the very end as a means to get back to the gonadola going back up.

I like the warmth of summer and miss sitting on the back porch or riding the horses, but there is something so special that connects me to the mountains.

I just recently saw my local Dr. to discuss depression. I have been very sad since seeing the diagnosis that my 3 yr old DS has Autsim and will not be ok. I tried Cymbalta and after the first two weeks really like the feeling of the waking sleep. I got the house work done well, could sit for 3 hours reading the same boring thomas book to my son. I never complained to my Dh about him treating me like his waitress. He leaves everything out for me to pick up. Coffe cups, glasses, things he wants moved to the garage, etc. I was so dutiful and a "good wife'. However I lost a huge amount of weight. I went from my normal 108 to 89. I never wanted food and was never hungry. So we switched to Effexor. After a week of feeling like ants were crawling on my skin I just stopped, It has been 1 week exactly.

I am still sad about my son, I am still very angry at God, I hate when people say it will be ok. It will never be ok! Urg. I question why I have yet to come to terms to the fact that my Dear son is not ever going to be ok. Given all that, I think I should cry, I should be sad and I should be throw it all at the mountain and see what it can throw back.

Blessing and thank you for reading this long post, April

I once worked with a woman whos son was autistic. As we were getting to know eachother and becoming friendly, we were talking about our families one day. She told me about her three children and when she spoke of her autistic child she referred to him as her "gift". He was her "gift from God" and brought so much love and joy into the family. Every child is special, they're just special in their own ways....that's how she described it to me and I've never forgotten that.

April, you will come to terms with this when you are ready....there is no time limit. Don't be so hard on yourself, you will find your way in your own time - wether it be through prayer, counseling, support groups, etc.... Stay healthy and go kick the heck out of that mountain!

Good morning!

Thanks again for everyone who has been here and sharing.

April, <<HUGS>> to you. I would also say to make sure to take care of yourself, that's one of the best things you can do for your DS.
I have 4 kids, and my worst fight with depression was when they were all very small, I don't think I realized at the time how my illness was affecting them.

Monday morning, I'm at work, I get on the bus in the dark, and I think it is going to be gloomy all day here. I try to get out at lunch and walk, that helps, at least for me, physical activity is an important part of my battle with SAD.
ImarriedGrumpy - how lucky for you that you've moved to CA!!

Ok, off to work. :sunny:

I just wanted to post here since I deal with it too, that and anxiety. I do pretty well most the time but I go through periods when I think they should increase my dosage.
I've got through I think 4 different meds so far and this one seems to work the best with the least side effects for me.

{{{hugs}}} to all

I suffer from ADD. It can cause you to feel depressed- no doubt. We have a huge history in our family of a whole gamit of mental illnesses. You name we have it.

I have posted that I have ADD in my siggie. People need to stop being embarassed about mental illnesses. We really need to break the silence! People are suffering because of it.

Thanks OP! :thumbsup2

:guilty: I was so excited to find this thread, i could be anyone of you guys cause everything that you all are feeling is exactly what i feel. i am not on a permanent medication but i do take zanax when i need it but i think i need it all the time, at that time of the month it is definetly worse. i hate everyone and crying all the time. i just want to feel happy all the time and not have so much anxiety and take things so seriously. i see people sometimes laughing and having fun just really doing nothing and i always think to myself i want to be happy just doing nothing. hopefully one day i will figure it out :confused3 :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter