Deployment

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
For those of you who have loved ones who are currently deployed or who have been deployed.......what were some "must have" items or items they appreciated having? (I'm not talking about all their military gear and things they must take)

- His laptop. We aren't able to Skype or anything, he can't even access the internet on it - but he uses it to play computer games or watch movies before bed sometimes.

- Movies/books for downtime. Most of these I send him so he doesn't have to carry them all over there.

- Travel size alarm clock (battery op.)

That's all I can think of now...he really doesn't want a lot of things when he's over there. However he does have quite the Christmas list for after he gets home this year lol.

My husband doesn't like to take alot of comforts of home. First he simply doesn't have the room in his packs.

He takes his portable dvd player and a packet of movies. He takes a picture in his wallet. I mail him the digital picture frame later on.

His important things are snack foods and comfortable underwear to be honest.

I usually mail him somethings when he gets settled like bedding, comfy pillow, some books, and his coffee pot.

I'm telling you they have to pack the most crazy things and there is NO room in all those bags for anything else. The bags get tossed here and there and schlepped all over and my husband simply didn't want to keep up with alot of stuff while traveling.

My DH also didn't take alot of stuff - it is funny because he told me how some of the people he went with took tons of stuff! And they had to carry it all - the only thing he really wanted was his laptop. When he was there he went and got a good pillow and blanket. I think he had 1 duffle bag and his backpack.

Totally agree with the laptop... and mine liked having the small photobook I made him (It was a 3x5 soft photo album that maybe fit 25 pics).

My dad liked having his favorite magazines mailed to him... mostly financial mags and TIME. Stuff to keep him busy when he's off duty so he's not continually thinking about war stuff.

Beef jerky, candy, chewing gum.

We always drew him pictures and sent other artwork and letters :)

Mike has long narrow feet with very high insteps-issue boots kill him-so a two good pairs of properly fitting danners ( they are expensive). His laptop-and his digital camera. What Tina said about room in the bags-what they can carry on the plane with them is limited to the difference between thier body weight and 400lbs-and that has to include their IBA and weapon-Mike is a big guy and weighs about 220 in his underwear-add 50 or sofor his IBA and weapon and hes not left with alot-so it has to go in the connex's or stay at home. 50% of the stuff he gets issued at mob station will be shipped home.

I also wanted to mention that whatever stuff he takes personal wise, he needs to expect it to get nasty dirty, stinky, and have sand all over it. I don't care if it stays in a ziploc bag the entire time sand will find a way into it.

Do not send or bring things that you don't care about loosing to the tour of duty.

Thanks everyone! We had already kind of figured it wouldn't be a wise investment to buy lots of shiny new electronic gadgets to take. He is planning to take a mini netbook (gently used). Think the kids and I are going go get him an MP3 player and load lots of his favorite music and some video clips of the kids, etc on it for Christmas .......not planning to spend a ton of money on an Ipod touch or anything like that......could use some good recommendations though (you all are the bestest).

We are down to about a 4 month window and my emotions seem to swing drastically. We've known this was coming for over a year and had our list of things we wanted to get done before that date in January 2011 rolled around.....with all the training, etc. though lots of things got changed or canceled just because we couldn't fit them in between ARNG stuff, our work schedules, and the kids school schedules. He goes on active duty for a 9 week training course on Monday. Back for Thanksgiving. Now they are trying to get him into WLC before January which according to the schedules I've found and where they are trying to get him in will start the first weekend of December for 2 weeks. So what little time left before January is slipping away. My emotions seem to swing from "I'm okay, I'm the strong soldiers wife and we will get through this (I really know we will)" to a basket case of uncontrollable tears that just spill out at the simplest and sometimes silliest things (is this normal).

Again, Thanks DIS friends for being here to answer questions and lend helpful advice to someone going through this for the first time. :goodvibes

Don't worry-the swinging emotions are completely normal-it can be worse than being pregnant. And some conflict between you and him=or him and the kids or the kids with each other-is completely normal as well. The unknown part sucks big time. Honestly-in my experience-the next 4 months will be the hardest of your military life-all the questions that run around in your head will drive you nuts and not knowing how things will work-how you will cope and how the kids will deal-along with dealing with his uncertainies-is really tough-it honestly gets easier once they get over there and you can start counting down til he gets home, you and the kids get into your "dads deployed" routine and you stop wondering what it will be like. I actually hate all the lead up time. Our first deployment was early in the war and we found out they had a warn-o in nov-they alerted in December and left in January. We fought alot in that month but it was realatively quick. This last time we knewn 15 months in advance-with a year still to go i was like-just get on the plane and go already before i kill someone. The other thing i will warn you about-what is "normal" in your home and your marriage will change with every deployment. By that i mean things that are a part of your normal routine now will be different when he returns and you have reunited and recovered from the seperation. Its not a bad or good thing-it just is part of the dynamics. Our "normal" has been different everytime Mike has returned. Some of what has driven that is normal changes in family dynamics-our children have grown up left home and one of them has married, i changed jobs (surprisingly his civilian employer took him back after a two and a half year absense even tho he had exceeded both the 24 month for a single deployment and 60 month for multiple ones that they are required to rehire them) we moved-but our dynamic with each other and how we deal with everything from who cooks dinner to money has changed as well. As i said-not a bad thing-just something to be aware of.

Predeployment stress is some of the worst stress in the entire world. Your first deployment is even worse. You are going to cry and you are going to worry and you are going to fight from sheer stress of it all.

Everytime you dread the day coming, you think get it started to get it done. Let it come so it can be over.

Take pictures and make memories and know that you have more strength inside than you can ever believe. You'll be suprised how you can find it and where it will come from. Let yourself feel your emotions. Don't try to make it all happy honky dory because it's not.

Where is your husband going to WLC or as us old people know it PLDC? One thing I wanted to tell you is that there is a Military Family Life Consultant in TN that can help you and your family with either the pre-deployment stress or the deployment stress or help you put the pieces back together afterward.

This person is a paid counselor from the DOD and takes no names notes or records. You can go speak to him/her about anything even your kids driving you crazy. Please utilizse these services if you see tht you need help. Remember lots been there did that and you can too.

Thanks JSmith & Tina!!!!!

Tina - they are trying to get him in at Camp Shelby. Not a for sure deal yet. He just got his E5 but the Command SGT Major wants him to go to WLC before they deploy if he can. When he got his E5 he had to take it with a different unit (he had turned one down with another unit because he didn't want to bail on his unit - he really likes the guys in the 230th) and only agreed to take it because the Command SGT Major worked it out so that he would be attached back to the 230th to go on the deployment (said he was critical to the deployment). So they (CSM and LT) want him to do his WLC so when his 300 (don't know that that means) comes up again he can take an E6 spot back with the 230th. And if I read correctly he will have to do it at some point anyway to be considered for future promotions.

Thanks for the info!

For young kids at home, the Hug-a-Hero dolls are a real help. It just takes a full-length picture to put on the doll, and there's a comforting memory help.

Something I bought was a foodsaver. I know it sounds odd but my husband loves fresh baked foods. I have been sending him banana, beer and pumpkin breads. I bake them one day and seal them and send them out the next. It takes about a week to get them. He told me they are still moist and tasty. This best thing I bought. I agree on the electronics. He has a laptop over there and will be getting a new one when he comes home. He cleans it but the sand is brutal. Sending you hugs and prayers!:hug:

The best thing we got him was a Skype phone number. It just feels better knowing I can call him and leave a message.

I agree with the hug a hero, I will post some pics hopefully tomorrow when I get a chance. It will be the craziest year ever, when DH first left I was fine. Our DD thinks her daddy is on an airplane, we have told her otherwise but she seems more comforted by seeing airplanes in the sky. He came home for R&R after only 3 months. For 2 days after he left I couldn't stop crying. It just seemed so sudden and it hit me it would be at least 9 months until I can see him again. We only had about 2 months notice but we knew we were being moved here for him to deploy. You do get into a routine and get used to the absence in a way. Other days you listen to your song over again and wear his favorite shirt to sleep in.

The best thing we bought was an international cell phone from the National Geographic store. It got free incoming calls and outgoing calls were 17 cents a minute. DH took it with him when he went on the MEU a few years ago and I was able to call him throughout the whole deployment. The phone cost about 250.00, but it was well worth it in my opinion; he never had to wait in line for a phone or buy calling cards.

skype on his computer
at&T card always <decided to suspend his phone>
a favorite brand of drink mix that he CAN NOT do without
books by fav author
movies for his puter
beef jerky

and I just put in the box whatever I think he would like. To top it off I put in there heart confetti and loves that :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter