• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

dental fears - anyone ever used ativan?

I am having 6 teeth extracted in 3 weeks. My dentist doesn't use anything but novocaine. Can I take ativan? I have a script for 1mg once a day as needed.

I was given some tranquilliser before having a wisdom tooth out. Got the dose wrong and took it too late. Was fully awake and aware for the procedure and loopy afterwards. Not my greatest success story.

I take .5 of ativan every time I go to the dentist, even for a cleaning, bc the dentist gives me anxiety. It doesn't make me loopy at all and I know exactly what is going on.... but I feel less anxious and I'm not freaking out mentally the whole time I'm there.

And I see this is a zombie thread. Ooops

I take .5 of Lorazepam when going to the dentist and it helps. I had to have a tooth extracted a few weeks ago and I barely felt anything. My dentist put numbing gel on my gums and I hardly even felt the needles and didn’t even feel any pressure during the extraction. She’s very gentle and calming and maybe either she is a very good dentist or they have improved things recently.

Ativan is prescribed as an anti-anxiety medication. It sounds like going to the dentist makes you very anxious. If you have a prescription for it then, of course take it. If you don't already have a prescription for it then contact your PCP about getting a prescription so you can take it that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter