Dense foliage outside OKW Windows

N

Niagara2

We really like OKW because of the bright, sunny, open feel to the resort and the accomodations. Now that the resort is almost 10 years old it tree's, plants and vegetation have matured and grown to literally "new heights"! I have noticed more posts lately from members who do not like the vegetation outside their windows. I for one, am one of them. Last trip we checked into a one bedroom and the bushes were higher than the window, blocking out the entire view and the room was dark. The visit before we got to building 29 and the tree's surrounded the porch. I do not have the answer how to control tree height, and in a few years they should be higher than the villas, but the bush is another matter. Do you feel OKW should cut back the brush and bushes and tree's? If I want a woodsy feel I would stay at WLV, but OKW should keep the windows and porches with a good view and bright sunlight. Thus far we have been able to move, but if this continues we will have a harder time enjoying the light, airy feeling that OKW has given us in past visits.

Personally I don't mind some vegetation - I actually liked the privacy on the first floor last month with the tall plants near the one bedroom bedroom window & the balcony. This might not be the best time to trim a lot on the bushes, trees, etc. because of the draught conditions

Since I'm not much of a gardener, I don't know when the proper time for pruning trees and bushes is--but I do agree that a lot of those trees and bushes are getting so large that they are blocking the lovely views from the OKW windows. Personally I wish something would be done--especially around the first floor units. We had a unit that was so dark because of vegetation that we had to keep the lights on all the time. We couldn't see a thing from our patio--when you were out there it felt like you were imprisoned in a jungle. I really hated that!

We were in Building 35 last month..top floor..trees were so full around our deck that we couldn't see the water below us..or anything around us, except the trees! We would have enjoyed seeing the water too..but we had fun watching all the birds in the trees. (Thankfully, none wanted to visit us on our deck while we were eating!)

I too, would like to see DVC trim the bushes/trees to allow more light into the units.

We stayed in Bldg. 38 first floor and I enjoyed the brush around the outside of my patio. For one thing, I felt a little secluded and found that peaceful since I live in a town where my neighbors can see you from all areas outside my home!!! Another thing is it may have helped keep down on the traffic noise coming from the road!!!! It surely didn't keep the noise from Typhoon Lagoon though (LOL).

I prefer an open view from my porch. Since the only people who can really see your porch are golfers, I don't see much need for privacy. I've also found the studios have more vegetation than the larger units.

I may run into this problem this July since I need to be on the grond floor because my mother cannot climb stairs.

Too much vegetation? All I know is, the groundskeepers seem to have those weed wackers and edging tools running every morning that we try to sleep in a little.

I'm with you Niagara, gimme some bright sun shining through those wooden blinds, so that it casts a nice shadow on the wall. I want to be able to sit out on the porch and see the resort, the golf course and some nice trim shrubbery.

I'm with you, wdwoldtimer!! Maybe we can convince the groundskeepers to stop weed whacking and edging the grass and start trimming and pruning the trees and shrubs!!! LOL!!!! Let there be light!!!!

We ran into this problem in May. We had a first floor studio with a canal "view". We would have been able to see the canal if it weren't for all of the bushes. I love to watch the boats and ducks.

I'm wondering if we all need to go down there with chainsaws and take care of it ourselves!?

Has anyone actually complained to the DVC management about this? I'm curious what they would do, if anything.

I wondered the same thing. I have had the urge to attack some of those bushes--but feared being toted off the WDW jail!! I think I mentioned the bushes on one of those surveys they send you after you're there--you know the survey on"certain people" get--but I get every single time I'm there. I will definitely mention it again.

I do agree that some of the trees, ect. are starting to grow a little high. I remember when they were being planted in the area around Turtle Pond and I did comment that if they don't keep things up that it will look overgrown, they were planting alot of different items. The problem with Florida is that what seems small when it is first planted grows very quickly. Some maintance is needed and OKW will look great from the inside - out.
:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter