Deluxe vs Moderate vs Value - How to choose??

We have not stayed at any of the value resorts, although I am pretty sure my kids would have gotten a kick out of the theming when they were very young. The two things that kept me away were full-sized beds (need more room to be comfortable), and reviews siting sometimes loud groups crowding the pools (we always make time for relaxing at the pool).

We really like POR and feel it is the best value for us overall. With beautiful and peaceful grounds, we feel like we have the perfect mix of action at the parks and relaxation at the resort. The drawbacks for us are sometimes large crowds at the food court and the busses can fill up quickly resulting in a longer wait. Some people dislike the fact that the resort is so spread out, so more walking. I’m at Disney, what’s another mile or two of walking?
:rotfl2:

We usually try to visit during F&W, so being walking distance to Epcot is a priority; therefore, we spend way too much for the convenience of staying at BC/YC. We also really like having a balcony to kick back with a beverage at the end of a long day.

I think there are pros and cons for all categories, and pretty sure I would have a good time staying at any resort. Have a great trip.

At one time, the differences between the categories were distinct and strict, but they’ve been blurring them.

Disney Value meant strictly bus transport and two full size beds. Small room, food court only (no restaurants), no jacuzzi or water slide. Bold outdoor decor, but kids love it. Now that Pop rooms have a queen size bed and will get gondola service, I expect them to add a category here.

Moderate means slightly larger rooms, queen sized beds (that’s a recent change), a restaurant—Disney blurred lines here by combining the French Quarter and Dixie Landings resorts and calling both Riverside. A feature pool with a waterside, possibly with a water taxi, jacuzzi. Upgraded landscaping and outdoor decor. Great theming.

Deluxe rooms are larger than mods though WL and AK are on the small size of other deluxes. You get a feature pool with jacuzzis and a water slide. Most rooms have balconies, your dining options are greatly expanded. Location is walking distance between some resorts and the major parks. Monorail, water taxi, and bus transportation—except AKL. Incredible theming and at least one signature restaurant and one AYCE. Food courts in most. Beach/Yacht Clubs and Boardwalk do not technically have food courts.

I will say this—I have never paid rack rates at Disney. And I never will. Be flexible with your dates and see what deals you can find. Disney always has a Special Offers section on its website. Read the subforum here on deals and offers of the Resorts Board.

Last edited:
Price and amenities. You have to decide what amenities are worth it to you. For me - lounges, TS restaurants, multiple transportation options, proximity to one park, and size of room are not important to me. And unless I am splurging at an AK resort for a savanna view - I probably am not going to use that balcony at a deluxe.

For newbies who look at the price of a deluxe and think "wow - that makes this trip expensive" - I recommend staying at a value unless they have kids who will want to live at the pool and love waterslides.

For me - the difference between a value and moderate - a coffeemaker (though Pop refurb rooms now have these) and a better pool area. Maybe a slightly better bed at a moderate and gosh - I do like getting the body lotion. But as I can put my little 4 cup coffeemaker in my suitcase and if its between Thanksgiving and March I'm probably not going to the pool - the values usually win.

If I made a lot more money - maybe the moderates would be my default go-to. But reality is that I can afford Disney more frequently if I stick to value-price resorts.

We actually started at deluxes and have checked out the other levels over the years. I'm perfectly happy at a moderate but will only stay at a value if budget is a concern and then only at Pop Century. I prefer a pretty resort because I always take walks and the two Port Orleans resorts are particularly attractive. But to each their own. So much of this is subjective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter