Deluxe resort for a 2 night stay worth it for extended evening hours at Epcot?

MammaMia 80s Kid

Earning My Ears
Hi! I posted earlier asking about all options and including tons of detail about my family, but, here, I want to ask one key question: is it worth the expense ($500-$1200) and loss of POFQ’s compact size and other great features to move from 2 connected rooms at POFQ to a deluxe for a 2 night/2.75 day visit to MK and Epcot, essentially for access to Epcot’s Extended hours and maximizing a short trip/adding a little more chill to the Epcot day since we will know we can be there with short lines that evening?

My deadline to cancel my Disney POFQ stay is in 2 days, so I’d greatly appreciate your input!

I love POFQ’s small size, availability of beignets and other quick service food, nearby pool and hot tub (if we find any time for that), pretty good and close by bus transport to and from the parks, crisp rooms with hardwood, and pretty theming and want to stay there!

However, since it will be such a short visit (a Sunday afternoon/evening park visit, Monday park visit, checkout and Tuesday park visit before driving (in the rental car we must use to get to WDW from another trip before this 2 hours away-flying in for that one on Friday) to the airport late on Tuesday to catch our flight, I wonder if it’s smarter to go to a deluxe resort to give everyone access to Epcot’s extended evening hours and more of a chill day 2/time to come back to the room and enjoy the pool that day. It will be my 9 year old’s first visit.

I want to cancel the other reservations and stop searching for a deluxe option that could work well for my family of 5 and parents, but keep thinking I’ll regret not giving them the Ext Hours at Epcot Monday night.

Is it worth the money (and a less convenient location if we go to OKW or AKL or FWL-well, for Epcot, not MK, but more convenient to Epcot at Swan Reserve) to pay for a deluxe?

My POFQ plan is MK Sunday night (likely no Genie + since we can’t get to the park until 2-3 pm), MK with genie +, try for Tron virtual queue at 7 and 1 (maybe LL for those who want to ride-but the expense is so much), and early entry on Monday-plan to either take a quick break for late lunch/early dinner at the pool back at POFQ, and stay until close, then Epcot Tuesday (Early Entry for at least the kids and one adult/others finish packing up the room and loading up the rental) with a late breakfast at La Creperie and maybe a dinner there, too )have a few ADR’s set up), before heading out around 8 to get to the airport, return the rental, and catch our flight.

If we invest in a deluxe resort, should I make the Sunday afternoon/night MK, the Monday Epcot for access to Ext Hours, and the Tuesday MK because it’s so big and to increase our chance of getting on Tron?

The current deluxe options are OKW 2 BR Villa for +$300 (don’t like the size or transport-but we do have the rental car), Swan Reserve (more expensive for 2 rooms +$600 for two 2Q beds to +$1200 for a 2 BR Suite and a 2 Q or 1 K with sofa bed room)-+ the parking fee of $36/day after taxes and less good transport to MK’s TTC, but walking distance to Epcot, or something on David’s Vacation Club-AKL 2 bedroom for +$520, but it’s so far away and has bigger grounds, FWL for +$760, 2 bedroom-less convenient to Epcot w/ longer bus transport, but there is boat to MK, 2 rooms at Bay Lake tower for +$1160-1 on DVC rentals, then another through Disney- those are bigger grounds than FQ, but are on the monorail with the ability to walk to MK, and or a studio at the Polynesian for with hope there are 2 available for +$1100 with monorail access and lovely rooms and theming).

What do you think? Please let me know. THANK YOU so much!

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from but, for the short stay, I don't think the extra $$ are worth maybe 4-6 hours extra in total. If you were doing a 6-7 day trip, maybe. I guessing you'll have something of a challenge actually using those hours effectively without beaucoup planning and everything going your way. Especially crowds. It's amazing how much they can eat.

Go for the beignets.

I don’t really have an answer to your question because we’ll only be using the deluxe extended hours this summer, but I’ve read mixed reviews about the Epcot extended hours - some think they are great and others not so much. If it was MK extended hours I’d say go for it, but in your case I’d probably keep POFQ.

We found Epcot extended hours to be not worth it. MK extended hours were great the first time we went, but the 2nd time, the extended hours started so late that the kids were too tired to even stay up for them. POFQ has lovely theming. I'd stay with POFQ.

I'm DVC and only stay DVC now but have stayed at Port Orleans and FQ for years prior.

I personally would save the money for the next trip.
Possibly that trip would be longer or even more momentous and the money would come in handy.
UNLESS you were staying at Beach Club/Villas (my home) with International Gateway & Skyliner at your front door, save the money.

I'm DVC and only stay DVC now but have stayed at Port Orleans and FQ for years prior.

I personally would save the money for the next trip.
Possibly that trip would be longer or even more momentous and the money would come in handy.
UNLESS you were staying at Beach Club/Villas (my home) with International Gateway & Skyliner at your front door, save the money.
Thank you for the advice!

As we live in PA, never fly, and are using flight credits, I don’t think we will be going again anytime soon-but I hope maybe I can plan one more trip for next year now that I’ve learned so much.
Now that I have learned so much about Disney, ideally, I’d plan a longer trip (at least 5-7 days) and reserve an Epcot or monorail deluxe or Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve-or POFQ and after hours at MK if available.

Given we aren’t likely to come back anytime soon, do you still think deluxe is not worth those Epcot Ext Hours/I’d be better off investing in Genie + and maybe even ILL instead?

Save the money and buy Genie+ and/or ILL for Epcot. The EMH is only 2 hours, I wouldn’t spend the extra money for a deluxe, not for 2 hours.
Thanks for your advice!

What do you think about saving another $400 and staying off site since we can drive and investing the savings in Genie + (maybe even ILL’s and PH)?

We’d sacrifice early entry (at least where I’m booked-a really nice suite at the new Flamingo Crossings Marriott Residence Inn) and the possibility of taking a little break, though, to enjoy some pool time. Wed also have to pay for parking both at the hotel ($10/day) and the parks ($25/day)/would not rely upon that hotel’s limited shuttle service.

Thanks for your advice!

What do you think about saving another $400 and staying off site since we can drive and investing the savings in Genie + (maybe even ILL’s and PH)?

We’d sacrifice early entry (at least where I’m booked-a really nice suite at the new Flamingo Crossings Marriott Residence Inn) and the possibility of taking a little break, though, to enjoy some pool time. Wed also have to pay for parking both at the hotel ($10/day) and the parks ($25/day)/would not rely upon that hotel’s limited shuttle service.
Did you look into any of the value resorts? You’ll save even more, the kids will enjoy the themeing, as well as the pools. And you’ll still have the morning early entry. Flamingo Crossing is nice, but by the time you add in the extra fees, it would probably be the same price as a value resort.

Did you look into any of the value resorts? You’ll save even more, the kids will enjoy the themeing, as well as the pools. And you’ll still have the morning early entry. Flamingo Crossing is nice, but by the time you add in the extra fees, it would probably be the same price as a value resort.
Hi! I did get a 25% off discount at POFQ, and 2 rooms there is almost the same price as a family suite at AoA, which was what we were thinking of doing at first.

Now, the plan is that my parents are coming (unless something happens again with my mother’s health; she was hospitalized in Feb. for a few days), so we need room for 7/require 2 rooms, and a family suite at AoA is really only for 6 guests and would give us 1 fewer bed w/ 1 queen and 2 doubles instead of 4 queens.

The other option is 2 rooms or a family suite at ASM (well, not really; that’s for 6 guests.) Since a lot of dance competitions will be at Disney the week before, the All Stars are likely to be crowded, and I want to minimize time waiting for shuttles (possibly not being able to get on) /stopping at a lot of internal stops and walking around since it is such a short visit. 2 rooms at Century Pop is essentially the same price and might not be as time efficient.

Again, though, we could drive, but individuals can’t as easily go back to the room if they want to (as my parents might), except for the Skyliner for Epcot, which likely wouldn’t matter since I think we will only go to Epcot on the third/last day and already be checked out that morning.

I think that giving the option for my parents or any of us to be able to return to the room/go back to the park and visit the pool at FQ on the second day with less time spent on transport and in a smaller/hopefully less crowded resort might be worth the money ($100-$200) for FQ over a value resort.

Maybe I am wrong, though. Thanks again!

Thank you for the advice!

As we live in PA, never fly, and are using flight credits, I don’t think we will be going again anytime soon-but I hope maybe I can plan one more trip for next year now that I’ve learned so much.
Now that I have learned so much about Disney, ideally, I’d plan a longer trip (at least 5-7 days) and reserve an Epcot or monorail deluxe or Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve-or POFQ and after hours at MK if available.

Given we aren’t likely to come back anytime soon, do you still think deluxe is not worth those Epcot Ext Hours/I’d be better off investing in Genie + and maybe even ILL instead?
I have not personally done Magic hours by choice. I’ve wanted to go but my travel companions (DH) in winter and adult daughter in Spring and Fall never wanted to go due to crowds.
I have heard both pros and cons equally divided.

PreDVC, we have stayed at both Swan and Dolphin numerous times as we’ve been going to WDW literally for 50 years. We loved both and proximity to both Epcot and Studios is a huge plus.

Once we bought DVC in 2014 it’s been all Deluxe. Though we’ve stayed at all of them, our favorites are Beach Club/Boardwalk for Epcot and Bay Lake for MK. There is nothing like being able to walk into either park. The best feeling in the world.

Swan & Dolphin are a longer walk to Epcot but very nice and definitely worth the money. Much cheaper than cash DVC. FYI….Dolphin is very “convention oriented”.
Marina
In January we walked to Swan Reserve and found it lovely but little ‘stuffy’. Very elegant for sure but we were staying at Grand Flo couple nights and also Riviera which are also upscale but not ‘stuffy’ feeling.

Of course this is just my opinion.

If I did not have DVC, I would stay at French Quarter again. In January we took the boat from Disney Springs to Port Orleans Riverside, first jumping off the boat at French Quarter for beignets. What a fun boat ride that was!! Both resorts are great and French Quarter is small and intimate. Charming. And cheaper than deluxe by a lot.

Again, everyone has different opinions and favorites so it’s difficult to decide.
Good luck in whatever decision you make.
No matter what….Disney is and always will be a very special vacation no matter where you stay or what you do. It makes you forget the stress back home.

We went to after hours at MK and Deluxe Extended Evening Hours at Epcot and MK on our trip Feb / March.
We split our stay but did 16 days. 5 days at POFQ, 5 Days at Swan, 5 Days at Signia. 1 Day at Universal.
If you were getting in both MK and Epcot it might be worth it - but not for epcot alone.
MK extended evening was better than the after hours (we rode 7dmt 3 times in 15 minutes) but Ecpot we only got on guardians as it broke down for 45minutes. We were lucky and had a early virtual queue but i dont think others actually got to ride at all. All the other rides are easily done with early entry or genie plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter