Delta stops flying to 11 US cities

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Delta says it will stop flying to 11 US cities indefinitely — here's the full list

Delta Air Lines announced the suspension of service to 11 US cities and Ottawa, Canada amid its pandemic-related recovery efforts.

The Department of Transportation approved the cuts, scheduled to take effect on July 8, which primarily impact small, regional destinations across the US.
The airline is only cutting service to cities with other air carriers to provide service.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Delta Air Lines announced the suspension of service to 11 American cities indefinitely as part of an effort to reduce its route network after a devastating first half of 2020. Effective July 8, the cuts come as part of Delta's plan to reduce domestic flying by 80 percent for the second quarter and international flying by 90 percent.

The Department of Transportation, which has been attempting to maintain a semblance of 2019 air service levels despite the drastic decrease in passengers since the beginning of March, approved the reduction. Most airports on the list are regional destinations primarily served by Delta Connection carriers, with the Atlanta-based airline only cutting service to airports that have alternate air service from rival carriers.

Take a look at which cities will cease to see Delta service on July 8:

Aspen, Colorado: The Colorado mountain town will lose four routes from Delta including service to Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, and Atlanta.
Bangor, Maine: Bangor will lose two Delta routes, both to New York City area airports.
Erie, Pennsylvania: Erie is losing its sole Delta route to Detroit.
Flint, Michigan: Flint will no longer see Delta service to Atlanta but the airline's Detroit hub is merely around an hour's drive away.
Fort Smith, Arkansas: Fort Smith will see its number of commercial routes cut in half when Delta leaves and takes its service to Atlanta, with only American Airlines service to Dallas remaining.
Lincoln, Nebraska: Lincoln is losing two Delta routes to Atlanta and Minneapolis, leaving United Airlines as the sole airline at the airport with service to Chicago and Denver.
Peoria, Illinois: Peoria is saying goodbye to Delta routes to Atlanta and Minneapolis.
New Bern, North Carolina: New Bern is losing its Delta route to Atlanta, leaving American Airlines as its sole carrier with service to Charlotte.
Santa Barbara, California: Santa Barbara will no longer see its connection to Salt Lake City on Delta.
Scranton, Pennsylvania: Scranton is losing Delta service to Atlanta and Detroit operated by a mix of regional and mainline aircraft.
, Williston North Dakota: Williston will see its routes cut in half as Delta is taking away service to Minneapolis, leaving only United Airlines service to Denver.

The announcement comes as aviation's recovery continues to be slow-going and airlines are experiencing a subpar start to the summer season. Memorial Day Weekend, normally one of the busiest travel times of the year that kicks off the peak season for travel, saw passenger numbers fail to exceed 341,000, according to the Transportation Security Administration, with no day since March seeing numbers above 400,000. Employees at the affected Delta outstations will continue to be paid until September 30, a provision of the CARES Act.

As a result of the reduced demand, Delta has also advanced the retirement of its older aircraft including its iconic McDonnell Douglas sub-fleet consisting of MD-80 and MD-90 series aircraft. Ottawa, Canada will also Delta depart from the airport indefinitely on June 21.
Article from : Read the original article on Business Insider

Last edited:
Aspen doesn't surprise me. It is mid-summer where tourist traffic would be less than skying season. I imagine some of the summer events like the Aspen Food and Wine Fest have been cancelled further reducing demand.

Lincoln NE also doesn't surprise me. I lived in Omaha, and the time to drive from Lincoln to Eppley Airfield (Omaha's airport) would take less time than the time it takes me to drive from a southern suburb of Jacksonville Fl to JIA

For us Flint is just a couple of minutes away. Detroit is a little over an hour 1 way. Grand Rapids/Saginaw are farther.

I tried calling Delta, but only the people flying in the next seven days can call. Then it hangs up.
I don't know if they will switch us to Detroit or give us a refund(non refundable tickets), since they pulled out of Flint.

Can anyone get through ???

I have not been able to get through to Delta either. They hang up on you. They cancelled my reservation without even telling me--I just happened to look online and it was gone and the flight was NOT going though one of the 11 cities that was cancelled.

I tried though FB messenger, but it said error in delivery
I dont have a Twitter page.
Has anyone since bearsgirl tried to get though???

Last edited:
I tried though FB messenger, but it said error in delivery
I dont have a Twitter page.
Has anyone since bearsgirl tried to get though???
I tried calling repeatedly today. Nothing - just the "we can't talk to you right now" recording. I am sad and confused. I don't know if they are going to get us to MCO or not.

I registered on Twitter today and asked Delta about my flights, refund back to cc. Sent a private message. No reply.
I have no idea how to contact them.

I registered on Twitter today and asked Delta about my flights, refund back to cc. Sent a private message. No reply.
I have no idea how to contact them.
I don't know if this is possible for you, but I live near a very small airport that will be served by Delta until July 8. I went in today and spoke with the nice ladies at the Delta check in counter. They took care of everything for me.

Looks like I'll have to go to the airport.
Did they charge you a fee??. Fingers crossed I can get my changed or get a refund.
They did not charge a fee, and they shouldn't have - so that is awesome. At some point in the last month or so, they had changed our flights without telling us. They had changed them to flights that didn't work together. We would have arrived in ATL about 4 hours after our connecting flight to MCO departed - and the same on the return trip. But, today, the nice ladies made it work. We were even able to keep our Comfort Plus. I am so thankful for them and so frustrated at Delta in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter