Delta reducing the ability to recline seats

I’m claustrophobic and while I love to travel and fly the ever decreasing seat pitch can really trigger a claustrophobic attacking for me and when that seat comes even 2” closer I have a really hard time with it. I HAVE to have an aisle seat or I can no longer fly. My last flight in a window seat nearly caused one of the worst panic attacks of my life.

This happens to me all the time and I never knew I was supposed to get mad about it. It's just yet another reality of sharing too little space with too many people; like occasionally taking an elbow to the head when riding transit during rush hour. I trust you'll be as courteous about getting up as possible, as I am when reclining, but beyond that it's all fair ball.
I think that is great. I totally agree. Have you ever seen anything on Passenger Shaming? People complain about that all the time. Doesn't bother me. Stuff happens.

I think that is great. I totally agree. Have you ever seen anything on Passenger Shaming? People complain about that all the time. Doesn't bother me. Stuff happens.
No, I've never heard of that. There's so much these days that seems to be just an outlet for people to express vitriol they'd never have the nerve to express in person. I'm happier in my ignorance, I'm sure. :wave2:

This may have been raised already but...

Does anyone recollect when (I think it was Ryan Air) tried to introduce not just bench seats but paid for use restrooms as well? I think both plans fell through - thank God! Ryan Air, for those of you who don't know, are the most awful low budget airline in the world. Sort of hold on to the wings and pray you get there budget.

This may have been raised already but...

Does anyone recollect when (I think it was Ryan Air) tried to introduce not just bench seats but paid for use restrooms as well? I think both plans fell through - thank God! Ryan Air, for those of you who don't know, are the most awful low budget airline in the world. Sort of hold on to the wings and pray you get there budget.
I wish their plans for free flights in exchange for allowing in flight gambling had worked out and made it to other airlines.

Good. I had my knees bashed by the seat in front of me for much of my Dublin to Boston flight on Tuesday.

On my flights, at least, they made everyone put their seatbacks up during the meal service, so that was good.

I doubt any international flights would do this especially over night flights . I wouldn’t fly overseas on a airline that did this either .

When I take a overnight flight overseas I will absolutely recline my chair to sleep and most on the flight do the same .
A 9 + hour flight is hard already ..

When I take a overnight flight overseas I will absolutely recline my chair to sleep and most on the flight do the same .

I'll do it on a 6 hour flight if I'm tired. What am I saying, I do it on the 3 hour flight home from WDW because I sleep. Who's to say which flights are long enough to allow a person to recline their seat? Does the fact that you have long legs and don't want to be uncomfortable if I recline overrule my wanting to be comfortable by using the recline feature of my seat?

Last edited:
Quite honestly, I think that is to be expected. They turn off the lights and everyone settles in for a wink or two.

Quite honestly, I think that is to be expected. They turn off the lights and everyone settles in for a wink or two.

Which is why I've said to my husband: long haul overnight flights shall be in a lie flat seat or they shall not happen. I'm just too old to do that "sit up and suffer" thing any longer. I've NEVER ever slept in a regular plane seat, including on a 15+ hour flight that left at midnight on the way to Asia. I've never mastered the art of sitting up and sleeping. I was jealous on that flight on the people hopping out of those lie flat business class seats looking all refreshed, while we all looked like death slightly warmed over.

I doubt any international flights would do this especially over night flights . I wouldn’t fly overseas on a airline that did this either .

It was a mid-afternoon flight, not an overnight flight. I'm fine with a little bit of a recline, but when you're physically hurting me it's not ok.

I hear they're developing some new under the plane economy seating. Oxygen masks, $10 extra.

Great%20America%20008.JPG
This made me laugh OUT LOUD. Literally! :lmao: :rotfl:

It was a mid-afternoon flight, not an overnight flight. I'm fine with a little bit of a recline, but when you're physically hurting me it's not ok.
I get that for domestic flights but long haul flights are typically more uncomfortable and sitting up right for that long would hurt most people .

I'll do it on a 6 hour flight if I'm tired. What am I saying, I do it on the 3 hour flight home from WDW because I sleep. Who's to say which flights are long enough to allow a person to recline their seat? Does the fact that you have long legs and don't want to be uncomfortable if I recline overrule my wanting to be comfortable by using the recline feature of my seat?
Not sure what your argument is here , I absolutely think people should be able to recline regardless on how long the flight is .. if you pay for a seat that reclines then use it if you want , just like the person behind you can .
I am just more likely to recline on a longer flight but if I was tired on a shorter flight I would recline then also . I think of people saying “ if you have a bad back or need to recline pay for a more expensive seat “ is bs frankly .

Who’s pain is more important?

Yours due to recline?
Or
Theirs due to no recline?
EXACTLY... I have injections every few months in my back and neck so it would be very painful to sit straight up for so long .. it is like paying for first class and turning down a extra cookie because the economy can’t have any .. my seat reclines so I use that .. obviously I would make sure someone is not eating or something.

I also have lots of back issues that make flights so uncomfortable. I always check behind me and recline slowly. I don't want to disrupt anything on the tray table behind me. But still need the bit of recline to take the pressure off my back.

Who’s pain is more important?

Yours due to recline?
Or
Theirs due to no recline?

Obviously I think mine is more important and the person reclining thinks theirs is. The real problem is airlines squeezing everyone in like sardines, but I'm still going to think you're a jerk if you keep slamming your seatback into my knees, no getting around that. If the chair stops reclining stop pushing it.

I've NEVER ever slept in a regular plane seat, including on a 15+ hour flight that left at midnight on the way to Asia. I've never mastered the art of sitting up and sleeping. I was jealous on that flight on the people hopping out of those lie flat business class seats looking all refreshed, while we all looked like death slightly warmed over.
That is 100% me. I have never slept on an airplane and I've tried it all. My husband closes his eyes and boom he's asleep. I should elbow him so he feels my misery, LOL. j/k

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter