• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Delta Cancelled our Return Flight, and Split Up Our Party on New Flights AFTER we Paid Extra for Seats

I may be wrong, but I believe the contract of carriage for most airlines states that seat assignments are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. Paying the fare that includes seat assignments doesn't mean you are guaranteed that seat. The fare chosen also includes other "benefits" for the additional cost, so not all value is lost with it. Also, airlines can change aircrafts on a route without any notice, so it would be impossible to guarantee anyone a specific seat.

That said, they may be willing to help you as a goodwill gesture in the name of customer service. I doubt they will refund money, but they may be able to move seat assignments. If not, the gate agent at the airport may be willing to help, particularly if you have a disability where you will be pre-boarding. As a last resort, a flight attendant may be willing to ask for volunteers to change. If you have to go with one of these options, I would try to politely explain your situation. You catch more flies with honey.

That said, they may be willing to help you as a goodwill gesture in the name of customer service. I doubt they will refund money, but they may be able to move seat assignments. If not, the gate agent at the airport may be willing to help, particularly if you have a disability where you will be pre-boarding. As a last resort, a flight attendant may be willing to ask for volunteers to change. If you have to go with one of these options, I would try to politely explain your situation. You catch more flies with honey.
Agree with all of this -- especially the polite approach.

Anyone who approaches a gate agent with an entitled "I'm grumpy and YOU are gonna pay for my displeasure" attitude is sure to get disappointed. And deservedly so.

I may be wrong, but I believe the contract of carriage for most airlines states that seat assignments are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. Paying the fare that includes seat assignments doesn't mean you are guaranteed that seat. The fare chosen also includes other "benefits" for the additional cost, so not all value is lost with it. Also, airlines can change aircrafts on a route without any notice, so it would be impossible to guarantee anyone a specific seat.

I definitely agree! But I would NOT tie up the phone for this, three months in the future, when Delta may or may not be still in business, may or may not be flying that day, may or may not reschedule the flight 10 times before then, etc.

I think I’d wait, oh, nearly 3 months, before making any sort of stink over this.

I understand what you're saying. My concern is just that this flight is already so full, I worry that waiting longer will mean no seats in any fare class to move to.
Id call now, explain the situation exactly as you ve stated here and see what they say/recommend. I think they will help you. however, things may change again by the date of your flight. good luck and Stay isolated and Healthy!

Id call now, explain the situation exactly as you ve stated here and see what they say/recommend. I think they will help you. however, things may change again by the date of your flight. good luck and Stay isolated and Healthy!

This is really poor advice! Airlines are dealing with 1000s of calls. People with travel needs in next few days- canceling and rescheduling need more help that a trip in June! Maybe OP can use common sense and realize other people need assistance sooner.

Totally think this is poor advice to even suggest they call! Chances are CSR would say they won’t help at this time! Who knows if their flight will even fly!!!!

This is really poor advice! Airlines are dealing with 1000s of calls. People with travel needs in next few days- canceling and rescheduling need more help that a trip in June! Maybe OP can use common sense and realize other people need assistance sooner.

Totally think this is poor advice to even suggest they call! Chances are CSR would say they won’t help at this time! Who knows if their flight will even fly!!!!
Exactly. I have a flight on Delta currently scheduled for early July and have gotten about 4 emails from them in the past few days about how they're addressing things. In each email, they ask that people NOT call unless they have a flight within 72 hours because that's who needs access to CSRs first. OP, do you have any idea how many things are going to change one way or another before June? How many flights may reappear on the schedule if people isolate and the pandemic is on its downward trajectory - or how many more flights may be cancelled entirely if things are on the rise at the time? Forget about where it says you're sitting until, let's say, about May 10. If on May 10 everything is still going forward, check if the reservation still says you're sitting separately. At that point, call the CSR. But in the meantime, there are much, much more crucial issues that Delta needs to deal with than whether you are sitting by a window or not three months from now!

OP apparently has some type of disability, and that (NOT "paid extra") is by far their best approach to getting their seat assignments fixed.
If you have a disability then I'm sure they are going to accommodate you.
I seriously would take a deep breath and forget about this for 10 weeks or so. The airline will make MANY changes daily, and no telling if/when there will be flights in June.
I wouldn’t worry about this. For all you know, you aren’t flying anywhere in June anyway. Just let it go for now.
People with travel needs in next few days- canceling and rescheduling need more help that a trip in June!
Absolutely!
OP, please relax about it. From my (limited) experience, Delta has great customer service. And their disability office will make sure you are able to sit by your companion if that is at all possible. And I predict it 100% will be possible.
I have a June trip that I am sure I will need to change, but their window for no-charge changes right now is for flights through the end of May. I am just chilling out, waiting for them to add June to the list, and then hopefully I can change it if needed. I mean, it's a little early even to know about that.
But I can tell you that when I dealt with a disability situation that required adjacent seating, they really did help out. The disability number (somewhere on their site) is the one to call.
But please wait until a little closer to time. Just so the flight schedules can work themselves out, etc. so this will be a one-time change. It's way too early to know how June travel will work out, if it's even possible to travel in June at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter