• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Delta Airlines

Daftman

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

Flying to Orlando with Delta are they OK?

Anybody had problems with them?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Sean

:bounce: :Pinkbounc

We use Delta Express . . .We have never had a problem with them . . .I have also flown on United and American (not for Disney) and I like Delta Express the best.

We've always had smooth transactions with them and I hope to have the same smooth transactions when we fly in July and December.

We've flown with Delta. Can't remember exactly where to but they were fine. I find that flying scheduled is so much more comfortable.

Haven't flown Delta in a long while. Probably their main disadvantage is that they don't fly direct between the UK and Orlando (or in our case Miami).

We were going to book Delta for our trip this Summer (we are flying from the UK into Miami - since we are doing a cruise before driving to WDW), but just before we were about to book I was able to get slightly cheaper tickets with Virgin. Since Virgin flies direct, that swung it.

As a previous poster said, though, scheduled airlines (like Delta) are always so much better than charter airlines (i.e. JMC, Britainia, Air2000). I would choose Delta over charter airlines ANY day.

I believe that Delta's 777s have personal entertainment systems in economy, I am not sure about their other planes.

Hope this is helpful - maybe someone who has flown Delta recently can be of more help.

Boo

Hi Sean
We flew with Delta last Summer on one of the 777s from Manchester, we went via Atlanta. The flight was very good we had no complaints at all. We have booked to fly with Delta again this Summer again via Atlanta.

Dee

Thanks Boo and Dee, we are flying from Manchester via Atlanta also so hopefully we will
be as fortunate as you were.Thanks again its nice to get reassurance!!

We flew Delta to New York then to Orlando in Dec 2000 with no real problems, the luggage exchange at New York was fantastic, only had to use a trolley for about 10 yards.

The Delta Express from New York seated about 100 people, which felt strange being used to Jumbo etc.

The flights are more for business people and not the happy pre-hol you usually get on the direct flights and the crew tends to be more (how can I say this without upsetting someone) elderly and experianced !!!

92 Days and counting:smooth:

I'm considering Delta for next year, also from Manchester.

Does anyone know how the legroom on Delta compares with Virgin? Both DH and I are tall and I find Virgin just about enough room, but DH is a bit squashed up to say the least! Anyone flown with both airlines and noticed a difference?

Also, can you prebook your seats and meals with Delta like you can with Virgin?

Mazzy, have a look at this link http://www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm

I have posted the link because it gives pitches for all airlines - not just Virgin (30") and Delta (32"). However, you must bear in mind that the seat pitch for an airline will vary depending on the type of aircraft which you are on: Virgin's airbuses may have a different seat pitch to their 747s. Also, Delta's international routes may have a different seat pitch to their domestic routes.

Depending on how much price is an issue, you may want to look at Virgin Premium Economy instead (this gives you 38" of leg room) and will cost you about £500 more than normal economy (looking at Virgin's holiday brochure and depending on when you travel). This should be noticeably better.

A discount Premium Economy ticket normally costs about £1000 if you are booking flights seperately, but I have seen them for under £600 (Internet travel agents or adds in the back of the Sunday Times Travel supplement etc.). Almost went Premium Economy last Summer, (for £1100 a person), but realised that I could get Upper Class for £1600 per person :-) (slippery slope...).

The alternative is trying to get exit row seats when you check-in. They have very large amounts of leg room, but are normally very hard to get (I have been able to get them travelling alone, but not with my husband - they have never had two available when I have asked, only one) - I believe it may be easier to get them if you are a very frequent flier (i.e. Virgin Gold Cardholder) with Virgin.

Hope this is helpful,
Boo

Thanks for the link Boo :D

It's interesting to see the seat pitch for the charters, no way could we travel with them, we would have our knees up to our chin! ;)

Those extra 2 inches with Delta would make a difference I think, but AA look even better!

Virgin Premium Economy is out of our price league as we are 3 adults (DD is 12) and one child, so it would have to be Economy for us!

Yup, you really don't want to go with the Charters. The last time I flew on a charter (3 years ago, London to Calgary in Canada), the leg room was awful, the shoulder room even worse and not much of a head rest (fairly low seat back). If you bear in mind that I am 5'4" (and a size 10) this is very worrying for people who are any taller or wider than me... (some women and most men are). Charters are okay for European flights, but I wouldn't do one again for a transatlantic flight....

Yes AA are supposed to be very good for leg room: they recently had an initiative to introduce extra legroom throughout their economy and business classes. I believe you should be able to safely expect about 34" (not sure if, realistically, you will get 35/36") - noticeably more that BA/Virgin.

When you check-in, it might still be worth trying to check-in early and asking if any exit row seats are available for you and your husband - your children could sit in the seats immediately behind. Its worth a try, although I don't know if you will be able to get 4 seats together like that.

Boo

We are flying on Delta from Daytona Beach to Manchester (via Altanta, GA) on May 15 and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

:)

My Dad took the same flight last November and had no problems at all. Reading all these favorable comments has helped ease my mind about the trip.

Thanks! :)

We flew Delta from Gatwick via Atlanta last Feb. It was a great flight with OK food and good
service. Seat pitch seemed generous (I am 5ft 11 and a larger lady) and quite comfy.
The flight had seat back screens, but the choices were a bit limited.
I would certainly fly Delta again given the chance. I rate it better and more comfortable than
BA.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter